Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody install an Ohmmu battery in their X? Looking for feedback.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not difficult, just over engineered. I shot some footage and will post once I get it edited.
I thought it was a pain and way worse than any other car I've had. 15 bolts for a tub and then for me getting that bracket out was really tight and awkward.

occlDdW.jpg

That bracket is why I cut away the front of the box, except for a lip at the bottom. There is no reason for a 10 lb bucket to hold a battery, it isn't like it is going to slip out!

Getting the frunk tub out is a bit annoying, yes, but they use that as part of the stabilizing for the filter and some of the structure. With a power gun it isn't bad.

Reactions: scottf200
Just saw this:
Tesla's Latest Software Update 2023.26 Adds More Features to 'Service Mode'
July 25, 2023
Low-Voltage Battery
The low-voltage battery reading feature offers detailed data, including voltage, charge level, and current. These details let you check on the health of your low-voltage battery and potentially replace it preemptively before it becomes an issue. Most of the vehicle's electronics are run off of the low voltage battery, and a non-working battery could leave you stranded.

Just saw this:
Tesla's Latest Software Update 2023.26 Adds More Features to 'Service Mode'
July 25, 2023
Has anyone had 2026.26 installed in their Model X? I've been wanting to try Charge on Solar, which requires 2026.26, and it was asked in the forums if anyone with an S or X had this version installed. Just wondering if anyone has seen this update yet?

I installed one last week. Complete nightmare, would highly recommend avoiding.

This message came up day one.
Ohmmu doesn’t have any phone support.

They’ll advise to try changing wheel sizes over and over and it should clear this message, it doesn’t.

Then they have you disconnect the hv, then the negative post, and wait two minutes.

Then after a few days the message comes up again. All the other Tesla models have a Bluetooth model for the battery so it can be controlled/monitored. The model x doesn’t get this.

after having to take apart my entire frunk for this battery 3x in one week.. I really regret even purchasing the ohmuu. I’m probably just gonna get another lead acid and call it a day.

I’m on a 2016 MX P with almost 100k miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 76

They’ll advise to try changing wheel sizes over and over and it should clear this message, it doesn’t.

Then they have you disconnect the hv, then the negative post, and wait two minutes.

Then after a few days the message comes up again. All the other Tesla models have a Bluetooth model for the battery so it can be controlled/monitored. The model x doesn’t get this.

after having to take apart my entire frunk for this battery 3x in one week.. I really regret even purchasing the ohmuu. I’m probably just gonna get another lead acid and call it a day.

I'm sorry for all the trouble. Mine is in a 2017 MX 100D.

The changing wheel size 'reboot' stopped working with some OTA when Tesla figured out how to change all the related areas in a simple way and it now does an much more 'abbreviated' reboot ... with apparently not all the same sub-systems as before.

I got that msg while on a road trip. I ended up disconnecting the 12v bolt right behind the firemans loop disconnect (same one a mobile tech used once at my house). That go ride of the message several weeks ago and I have not gotten it back. I have a 12v monitor (URL) on my 12v battery that samples every minute so I knew it was charging and running fine.

Truth be told tho. I do have my old battery on a trickle charger in my garage and I take it with me on long roadtrips with some 12g wire to run like a jump box if I get in a situation. It easily fits in the trunks lower area so it is not that big of deal just feels weird to carry a backup!!

I'm sorry for all the trouble. Mine is in a 2017 MX 100D.

The changing wheel size 'reboot' stopped working with some OTA when Tesla figured out how to change all the related areas in a simple way and it now does an much more 'abbreviated' reboot ... with apparently not all the same sub-systems as before.

I got that msg while on a road trip. I ended up disconnecting the 12v bolt right behind the firemans loop disconnect (same one a mobile tech used once at my house). That go ride of the message several weeks ago and I have not gotten it back. I have a 12v monitor (URL) on my 12v battery that samples every minute so I knew it was charging and running fine.

Truth be told tho. I do have my old battery on a trickle charger in my garage and I take it with me on long roadtrips with some 12g wire to run like a jump box if I get in a situation. It easily fits in the trunks lower area so it is not that big of deal just feels weird to carry a backup!!

When you’re removing the negative, are you pulling out the entire frunk tub every time too?

When you’re removing the negative, are you pulling out the entire frunk tub every time too?
No, only disconnecting that bolt. I understand your question because pulling that tube out is annoying even if you use a drill to assist.
Used a ratchet with a swivel adapter. Just be cautious so you don't drop the bolt taking it in or out.
I may have only seen that message twice since installing > 1 year ago.

khCsoF7.jpg

This is interesting. I have a 2016 P90D and installed an Ohmmu battery in April of 2022 and have had no issues. The battery I installed has the non-reversed positive and negative terminals and no bluetooth. I have put over 20,000 miles with this battery since the install and everything works as expected according to Teslafi. I did keep the original battery, just in case.

Please let us know if Ohmmu service responds to you.

Their "response" is bullsheet: You can keep paying for shipping (in BOTH directions) for replacements under their "warranty" and my suspicion is now proven: They aren't sending anything different than I got from them months ago. They have been WELL AWARE of this failure since at least January, AND well aware about the tire change no longer functioning as a reboot since at least I told them about that in June.

"Queenie" and "Sean" have the position that if it works "as a battery" then it is fully functional and they are not concerned with any messages. This is the reply from "sean" after I filed a chargeback with my card: "You make assumptions and assertions that simply aren't true. You realize your car isn't dead tho, right? Like the 12V battery is completely functioning, the only thing you are seeing is a message, am I correct?"

No. That's not how it works when something is being sold as compatible with a specific application. I didn't buy a stack of AA batteries and expect the car to accept them.

This product is bad and they should feel bad.

That's the same thing I got from them, and ONLY long after I filed a credit card dispute, before that the answer was "our return period is 14 days no return is eligible"

But no matter what, they won't cover the shipping for their trash product.

sigh.. i guess i'm gonna give this reset a shot again without removing the whole tub... and probably get the BLE battery monitor mentioned above... its depressing if you look on the 3/s/y sides they've got a bluetooth app that can install updates for the battery. but nothing like that for the x.

This is interesting. I have a 2016 P90D and installed an Ohmmu battery in April of 2022 and have had no issues. The battery I installed has the non-reversed positive and negative terminals and no bluetooth. I have put over 20,000 miles with this battery since the install and everything works as expected according to Teslafi. I did keep the original battery, just in case.

Please let us know if Ohmmu service responds to you.
mines the "new" one with the changed up terminals

Terminal location has nothing to do with the car accepting it. The problem is that they haven't developed ANY kind of BMS management for the S/X battery that lacks the bluetooth, and the car sees the wrong voltage curves as a response to charging / discharging. There would need to be some form of voltage stepping / management, clearly that would require some quality development. That level of care is far beyond their existing level of "slap some *sugar* in a box and charge 5x profit margins, give nothing back when people have issues"

Very disappointed.

Reactions: walla2
sigh.. i guess i'm gonna give this reset a shot again without removing the whole tub... and probably get the BLE battery monitor mentioned above... its depressing if you look on the 3/s/y sides they've got a bluetooth app that can install updates for the battery. but nothing like that for the x.

Terminal location has nothing to do with the car accepting it. The problem is that they haven't developed ANY kind of BMS management for the S/X battery that lacks the bluetooth, and the car sees the wrong voltage curves as a response to charging / discharging. There would need to be some form of voltage stepping / management, clearly that would require some quality development. That level of care is far beyond their existing level of "slap some *sugar* in a box and charge 5x profit margins, give nothing back when people have issues"

Very disappointed.

Without that battery monitor I would be much more concerned. At least now I can see how it acts over the last day, 1 wk, or 2 wks.

I think the various X variants ('16, mid-legacy, refresh) and tweaks in the 12v management algorithm by Tesla downloaded overtime with the OTAs have certainly caused issues for Ohmmu as well. I rarely get that msg and was less concerned when the tire config trick worked. Now more of a pain but way less then removing the tube! Still not something I want to deal with on various roadtrips I take.

35BNgG9.jpg

Without that battery monitor I would be much more concerned. At least now I can see how it acts over the last day, 1 wk, or 2 wks.

I think the various X variants ('16, mid-legacy, refresh) and tweaks in the 12v management algorithm by Tesla downloaded overtime with the OTAs have certainly caused issues for Ohmmu as well. I rarely get that msg and was less concerned when the tire config trick worked. Now more of a pain but way less then removing the tube! Still not something I want to deal with on various roadtrips I take.

35BNgG9.jpg
whats the longest you've driven with the alert up? I think i've had mine on for maybe 4 days now.

whats the longest you've driven with the alert up? I think i've had mine on for maybe 4 days now.
Something like two weeks when I was on a long road trip. I didn't end up messing with it until I got home. In that case, I would just check that 12v battery monitor app every day or so to see if it looked "OK". I had my old 12v in my trunk lower area and some 12g solid electrical wire incase I needed to use it as a "jump pack".

[Aside: I did actually use a borrowed jump pack when on a different vacation with other *normal* 12v and did an OTA update at an AirBnB to get construction speed limit changes. My *normal* 12v did not handle the section of the OTA process when that 'subsystem' controlling the DC-to-DC was restarted. Tesla has sense fixed that. Heck as well I bought a device to *bench* test my 12v before that vacation.]

Reactions: vthreee
You can drive with the alert for as long as you want - I did over 2 weeks too b/c it decided to first come up AFTER the 14 day "return" period (and an additional week, much of which where Tesla had the car and did many things with it and had NO errors or comment about the battery)... But soon after I got the car onto a vacation, is when the error showed up.

"Queenie" from their emailed support response only offered useless suggestions of changing the tire size - which (this was in July) they have known since at least May was no longer going to work. So her "support" is to waste the customer's time AND add delays of 48 hrs plus between emails. Then the next suggestion will be to pull the fireman's loop AND unbolt the ground bolt... Which will clear the message for a brief period, yes, but it WILL return. This ALSO has the risk of snapping off the ALUMINUM bolt that they are using for the ground point, because it is not designed or strong enough for repeated fiddling with. Ask me how I discovered THAT little tidbit.

They have known that their battery is NOT accepted by the Model X *classic or current* since at least February, based on comments in the threads on this board - presumably people are being honest when they say that they have communicated their issues with "Sean" or "Queenie"... Yet their website continues to declare the battery available and suitable for Tesla vehicles which will reject it.