Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody leave their X parked outdoors? How does it hold up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage is full, so my wife's Prius gets parked outside and after 4 years it shows it. I detail my cars of course, but since the front windshield isn't "paint" that can be waxed and polished I was wondering how they wear outdoors? I'm in So Cal where the sun is the destroyer. With a $24k Prius no biggie. With a $100k car it's more concerning.

Thanks!

I highly suggest a wrap and/or ceramic coat.

It is a 100k car (closer to 200k) in my case, spend the few extra k, and be safe rather than sorry.

Worried about apperance?
Both wraps and ceramic both come in clear options. But with other color/pattern/design options availible, the choices are limitless.

Sitting in the sun?
This is what car shades, and covers are for.
They work, and arent as much hassle as you'd think. Again better safe then sorry right?
Everyones seen faded vinyl in cars, you want that in your tesla?

There have been plenty of posts about heat affecting the operation of the FWDs. Remember the bodywork is aluminium, so there is more expansion than steel in the heat and Model X FWDs are hard enough to align properly as it is. . That's not to say you can't keep it outside but the Model X is about the worst case scenario I can think of for sitting in the blazing sun all day i.e. massive glass area, aluminium panels and temperamental doors. So personally I would make room in the garage or at the very least cover it.

One thing I've found that does help keep the cabin a little cooler are the ultra-white seats. They don't get roasting hot like black seats do when left in the sun.

Sitting in the sun?
This is what car shades, and covers are for.
They work, and arent as much hassle as you'd think. Again better safe then sorry right?
Everyones seen faded vinyl in cars, you want that in your tesla?

Re: sitting in the sun - the X is a lease so we don't mind too much :) We will buy our next one and wrap it, coat it, apply super duper nano coatings x3, reorganize the garage, move the garage door opener track, etc.

We have had an issue twice on the X where the trim on the FWD cracks and falls off. In the summer it can hit north of 100* for a few days and the sun is brutal. We're still waiting for the full glass to be replaced.

We keep ours garaged and has this happen too! this occurred on one of our doors, and as you mentioned they had to replace the full glass on top of FWD. only one time for us so far though, I was just surprised they have to replace the whole thing and not just trim. Hope you get yours fixed soon!

My garage is full, so my wife's Prius gets parked outside and after 4 years it shows it. I detail my cars of course, but since the front windshield isn't "paint" that can be waxed and polished I was wondering how they wear outdoors? I'm in So Cal where the sun is the destroyer. With a $24k Prius no biggie. With a $100k car it's more concerning.

Thanks!

How about a storage locker for the stuff in the garage (or 1-800-junk) , and put the cars inside.

This is one of my pet peeves. We have a 3 car garage and I always to be able to put 3 cars in the garage. Anytime some leaves boxes in the garage I give them 1 day to get rid of it, or I will get rid of it.:D

Murphy's Law says it will hail exactly one day before you plan to clear out your garage:

hail-damage.jpg

Attachments

• hail-damage.jpg
    hail-damage.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Funny
Reactions: sjokomelk
That's my concern. I live in Upland outside of L.A. and it's hotter than hell during summer. Is that trim an expensive part to repair?

My garage isn't full of junk to move out. I have a Porsche 911GTS and an Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio. Something has to go outside.