TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone apply Opticoat Plus or protective films on the X yet?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by vangogh, Jan 7, 2016.

1. vangogh

vangogh Member

I wondering if these coatings (if placed on the fwd for example) will interfere with any of the sensors? Factory service rep didn't seem to have firm answer....
    I was going to try and apply a coating immediately but I now want to wait to get some positive feedback that no functionality is impacted...Anyone??

2. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

Getting full car clear bra done and will be picking up in 2 hours. I would imagine it would not be a problem since the sensors already go through the body panel. Will verify upon getting the car back.

3. shive

shive Member

I too am curious about this as I am planning on getting my car done in the next week or so...please keep us updated, gobagheera.

thx!

4. Vince Cobelo

Vince Cobelo Member

#4 Vince Cobelo, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    This obviously is a MS but it doesn't matter. I think they cut out around the bumper sensors. Absolutely no interference on mine. I just had mine done with a Xpel full front and CQuartz Finest all over. The key is paint correction (yes even on a new car) and prep. Results are amazing.

Pn.jpg

It took about two days for the entire process but it is important that the car not get wet at least for the first 24 hours. 7 days to a full cure during which time I was told not to wash and if the car did get wet then to just get it dried as soon as I could.

5. PaulR

PaulR Member

I had my Model S wrapped with Xpel on the whole car (probably didn't need to do that - but I did!) and my detailer who did the job commented that he makes a point of cutting out the wrap around and over the sensors. I think he does this because he is OCD - a good reason to use him for this kind of thing - but may not be necessary. Maybe you could just call your detailer and ask him to to do this, my guess is that he would and probably would not charge extra.

6. vangogh

vangogh Member

PaulR...Thanks for the info...I believe the X has some different sensors than the S...The door sensors are beneath the metal and there are no "dots" that show where the sensor is actually located. These are the ones I'm most concerned with...

7. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

Got my X back last night. It was wrapped in Xpel and it looks great. I tested the functionality of the falcon doors and it works like it should. Opens without issue and when I stand too close to it, it stops before making contact.

8. Calthron

Calthron Member

Where did you get the wrap done in Reno? We are thinking about doing the same thing. Thanks

9. vangogh

vangogh Member

Thanks @gogagheera...Can you post before and after pics....Congrats...and thanks for the information...Was it a complete (100%) wrap?

10. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

Will get some pictures hopefully tonight or this weekend. But there really isn't any difference between before and after. Here are some before pics in this thread: Sig 303, Vin 731 Delivered 12/31/2015

And yes, it was a complete wrap on the whole car. The only part not wrapped was the roof, which is glass anyways.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

I am wanting to do the same when we get our production X 90d. If you don't mind answering, about how much was it do the entire car?

12. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

I also had my Model S paint corrected, Xpel full front and CQuartz Finest. It's amazing how it brought out the shine.

13. gspmarlin

gspmarlin New Member

Paul, who is you detailer in Atlnata? Thanks

14. pulmcc

pulmcc Member

Best place in Atlanta for PPF is Derek Johnson at Atlanta Protective Films. Best place for Opticoat is Bryan Burnworth at Peachstate Detail. Check their Facebook pages to see they cars they work on.