Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone apply Opticoat Plus or protective films on the X yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wondering if these coatings (if placed on the fwd for example) will interfere with any of the sensors? Factory service rep didn't seem to have firm answer....
I was going to try and apply a coating immediately but I now want to wait to get some positive feedback that no functionality is impacted...Anyone??

This obviously is a MS but it doesn't matter. I think they cut out around the bumper sensors. Absolutely no interference on mine. I just had mine done with a Xpel full front and CQuartz Finest all over. The key is paint correction (yes even on a new car) and prep. Results are amazing.

Pn.jpg

It took about two days for the entire process but it is important that the car not get wet at least for the first 24 hours. 7 days to a full cure during which time I was told not to wash and if the car did get wet then to just get it dried as soon as I could.

Last edited:
I had my Model S wrapped with Xpel on the whole car (probably didn't need to do that - but I did!) and my detailer who did the job commented that he makes a point of cutting out the wrap around and over the sensors. I think he does this because he is OCD - a good reason to use him for this kind of thing - but may not be necessary. Maybe you could just call your detailer and ask him to to do this, my guess is that he would and probably would not charge extra.

PaulR...Thanks for the info...I believe the X has some different sensors than the S...The door sensors are beneath the metal and there are no "dots" that show where the sensor is actually located. These are the ones I'm most concerned with...

Got my X back last night. It was wrapped in Xpel and it looks great. I tested the functionality of the falcon doors and it works like it should. Opens without issue and when I stand too close to it, it stops before making contact.

This obviously is a MS but it doesn't matter. I think they cut out around the bumper sensors. Absolutely no interference on mine. I just had mine done with a Xpel full front and CQuartz Finest all over. The key is paint correction (yes even on a new car) and prep. Results are amazing.

View attachment 106941

It took about two days for the entire process but it is important that the car not get wet at least for the first 24 hours. 7 days to a full cure during which time I was told not to wash and if the car did get wet then to just get it dried as soon as I could.

I also had my Model S paint corrected, Xpel full front and CQuartz Finest. It's amazing how it brought out the shine.