Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone can point me to link says FSD is still Level 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because no insurance company will insure Tesla here in Canada if FSD is indeed Level 3 and above.

I need a Tesla official link to say if FSD beta is indeed a Level 2 autonomous driving.

I can only find 3rd party online resources says FSD is Level 2 , but not from Tesla.

Easy since there is no such thing as a L3 car in Canada. Just read this a proof.

SAE J3016 LEVEL OF DRIVING AUTOMATION.png

Because no insurance company will insure Tesla here in Canada if FSD is indeed Level 3 and above.

I need a Tesla official link to say if FSD beta is indeed a Level 2 autonomous driving.

I can only find 3rd party online resources says FSD is Level 2 , but not from Tesla.
The definition of a Level 3 car is that the driver doesn't have to watch the road ("the car performs the full OEDR") and that the car is driving autonomously without the need for a driver when in autonomous "Level 3" mode. There is no "take over immediately" in L3 so there is no need for hands on the wheel. You can watch a movie in an L3 car (but you need to stay in the driver's seat). In an L2 hands-off system you still need to watch the road at all times and are just getting help from the car to steer and adjust the speed.

In the Tesla owner's manual it clearly says that "Full Self-Driving (Beta) is a hands-on feature. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times, be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic, and always be prepared to take immediate action."

That's the description of a Level 2 driver assistance system.

The definition of a Level 3 car is that the driver doesn't have to watch the road ("the car performs the full OEDR") and that the car is driving autonomously without the need for a driver when in autonomous "Level 3" mode. There is no "take over immediately" in L3 so there is no need for hands on the wheel. You can watch a movie in an L3 car (but you need to stay in the driver's seat). In an L2 hands-off system you still need to watch the road at all times and are just getting help from the car to steer and adjust the speed.

In the Tesla owner's manual it clearly says that "Full Self-Driving (Beta) is a hands-on feature. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times, be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic, and always be prepared to take immediate action."

That's the description of a Level 2 driver assistance system.
This is the closest you will get. Maybe you can cite Tesla's admission to the California DMV that FSD Beta is level 2 ADAS, but Tesla doesn't make official statements as a company on things like this.

Maybe this support page for FSD Beta recall could help?

Reactions: spacecoin
Maybe this support page for FSD Beta recall could help?

This is perfect. Thanks

Called CAA, CAA refused to insure all Tesla with FSD enabled, period.
Well, they insured my MY in 2020, and FSD was clearly included in the description of the vehicle. I am still insured by them and they have never asked for clarification as to whether or not I was using FSD.

As for not insuring any vehicle with driver assist features, I find that a surprise and if I can't be insured, then I want a car with better driver assist than the crap I have now. My car has terrible TACC that I cannot use in many instances (although for the first time since buying that car, we've been able to use AP on highway 60 in Ontario since it no longer thinks the highway number is the speed limit.) I don't use any of the parking options since they are so terrible. I can't use the summon to move my car in and out of my parking spot in my building's garage anymore because that feature has been disabled by Elon, and I have no clue what if any of the other summon stuff still works on the car since my radar was disabled by Elon.