Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone close to 12.5K miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The amount of battery loss is warranted? Love to see the exact rule on that.

yeah, i can't find it now, but i really remember that it was stated at some point. maybe that was quietly swept away. but there must be some threshold below which you have a reasonable claim that the battery isn't meeting spec? or... no? is there no recourse if say, after a year you're getting 10% less in range.. wouldn't that be a warranty situation?? i should hope.

not that this is scientific in any way, but extrapolating out at 3mi loss in soc/year, after 8 years (warranty period) that's a 24mi drop in range, so 245 - 24 is 221. that's about a 10% drop (easy math on that one).

That sounds great. I have read quite abit about Li batteries and everywhere I read that degradation is worst in the first year(s) and slows down considerably as the battery gets older. If the battery loses only three miles in the first year this might mean we are not looking at a 10% loss after 100.000 miles/8 years but maybe only at a 5-7% loss.

That sounds great. I have read quite abit about Li batteries and everywhere I read that degradation is worst in the first year(s) and slows down considerably as the battery gets older. If the battery loses only three miles in the first year this might mean we are not looking at a 10% loss after 100.000 miles/8 years but maybe only at a 5-7% loss.

Yes, cycle degredation is fastest at first and then slows down. There's also calendar life too. Early cars are about 9 months old now.overall though, it's looking good so far.

Tesla does not warrant battery capacity. There is some comment on the Roadster battery that a degradation to 70% battery capacity within 7 years is to be expected. Any bigger loss usually points to more specific problems that would be covered by warranty. Some Roadster owners reported that Tesla exchanged single sheets, or the whole pack, but the latter very rarely.

The Model S warranty has nothing in it to give you a claim in case of degradation at a level to be expected (e.g. several % per year).