Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone considering delaying their purchase due to Market Downturn related to Corona virus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for what it's worth the jump from 2-3 weeks seems to be standard. they deliver quarterly, and the NA orders are last and wrapping up at the end of the month for quarter end. And they're wrapping up on the west coast specifically. So, if you put in a west coast zip you'll still get the 2-3 week timeline, but if you put in an east coast zip you're looking at next quarter now, you're last in line again.

Thanks wiparker824. I hadn't been closely following each quarter to see how they distribute and concentrate. Maybe they will have a June sale with promotional interest rates or something and I can grab an inventory one.

Thanks wiparker824. I hadn't been closely following each quarter to see how they distribute and concentrate. Maybe they will have a June sale with promotional interest rates or something and I can grab an inventory one.
If you want to get a Model 3 now, you might be in luck if you keep checking with your local store to see if they can locate one locally for you.

With Tesla making a push for deliveries before the end of Q1 (end of March), there's a high chance that you see some people decide they don't want to take delivery on their Model 3 and nobody else in line wants that specific build, so that might become available in Tesla's inventory.

Their inventory changes daily (even hourly or within a few minutes at a time), so keep checking through the end of the month and even into the beginning of April if you can find a spec that you'd like to buy.

If you want to get a Model 3 now, you might be in luck if you keep checking with your local store to see if they can locate one locally for you.

With Tesla making a push for deliveries before the end of Q1 (end of March), there's a high chance that you see some people decide they don't want to take delivery on their Model 3 and nobody else in line wants that specific build, so that might become available in Tesla's inventory.

Their inventory changes daily (even hourly or within a few minutes at a time), so keep checking through the end of the month and even into the beginning of April if you can find a spec that you'd like to buy.

I am probably going to fall into this bucket. I have a LR AWD scheduled for delivery next Saturday, but I am most likely going to delay for a quarter. I'm in the aerospace/aviation industry, which is getting hit particularly hard by COVID-19.

While I think it's relatively unlikely that I actually lose my job, I would feel much more comfortable taking delivery in June when I have a better idea of what the impact will be on my business. So, there will be at least one extra inventory car out there for someone!

I'm considering delaying my P3D+ order. Given the current market downturn, and rising concerns about this virus.

This was going to be my second Tesla, but now thinking that it would be best to keep 60k+ in my pocket in case we see a prolonged downturn.

This would be our second m3, don't know if now is the time to splurge anymore.

Anyone else considering waiting?

Not directly due to the downturn, but will probably delay ordering until 3rd quarter. The virus has caused DoD to stop all permanent change of station moves. We were moving to FL in May but it is likely delayed. Was going to have my car ready when we got there. So wont order until after we arrive, whenever that is. To reward myself for the wait, I'll save a little more $ and get an LR instead of an SR+. :)

so when the final decision time came -- i decided to take the car ..

i ended up taknig a loan rather than paying for the car cash .. loans are pretty cheap atm .. and i'll pay off the loan whenever the market recovers ..

worst case scenario, the end of the world is here, and then i;ll be glad i got the car anyways
I'm doing the exact same thing today. Probably shouldn't, and I'm torn, but... at the last possible second I decided to take a loan and get the car, and keep the cash in a separate account in case I need short term reserves.

Fairwinds was 1.4%, 36 months when opening a credit card and a new account.

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn and AlanSqB
I'm doing the exact same thing today. Probably shouldn't, and I'm torn, but... at the last possible second I decided to take a loan and get the car, and keep the cash in a separate account in case I need short term reserves.

When it comes to it, I will do the same. Originally, at 3.5%, I was going to pay cash. Now, it is loan time. My X was sold on a .99% rate when I bought it in 2017.

1.4% is an incredible rate! I hope I can time this right so that there are still decent 48 month rates when I eventually take delivery (probably in June at this point if their distribution strategy and timing stays the same).

I am probably going to fall into this bucket. I have a LR AWD scheduled for delivery next Saturday, but I am most likely going to delay for a quarter. I'm in the aerospace/aviation industry, which is getting hit particularly hard by COVID-19.

While I think it's relatively unlikely that I actually lose my job, I would feel much more comfortable taking delivery in June when I have a better idea of what the impact will be on my business. So, there will be at least one extra inventory car out there for someone!

Is it possible to delay a delivery or do you just have to cancel your reservation and reorder?

Is it possible to delay a delivery or do you just have to cancel your reservation and reorder?

I was forthright with Tesla and told my sales advisor about my concerns and my desire to delay my delivery. They responded within an hour and said that was understandable and completely fine. They unmatched me from my VIN today and said that they would match me to one of the earliest North American VINs next quarter, and that I should expect delivery in June. Of course, as with anything related to Tesla, YMMV, but I have been very happy with all my interactions with the company thus far.

Their willingness to swap the delivery date also may indicate that the backlog and demand are still strong and that they expect to be able to quickly match my VIN with a new buyer.

I'm very disappointed that I won't be receiving my car this Saturday, but I am relieved that I'll have a few months to assess the financial situation and prospects for my industry before committing to a large purchase.

I was supposed to pick up my Model 3 LR from Bordeaux this coming Friday and due to pay in full on Wednesday. However, France has just been placed on full home lockdown for 15 days except for essential or emergency reasons. Try as I desperately might, I can't find an argument for a Gendarme that picking-up my car fits into either of those categories. So, no payment but Tesla very much understands the situation and just postponing the delivery.

Reactions: alexucf and AlanSqB
It's a difficult decision, but if you don't take delivery now, it may be a long while before you could get a new Tesla.

According to the Wall Street Journal, "On Tuesday, local authorities told Tesla Inc. that it must stop production at its Fremont, Calif., factory as part of an order by Alameda County to have people shelter at their homes to prevent the spread of coronavirus."

Reactions: PhaseWhite
It's a difficult decision, but if you don't take delivery now, it may be a long while before you could get a new Tesla.

According to the Wall Street Journal, "On Tuesday, local authorities told Tesla Inc. that it must stop production at its Fremont, Calif., factory as part of an order by Alameda County to have people shelter at their homes to prevent the spread of coronavirus."

Yeah, I have a feeling itll be Q3-Q4 before there is regular delivery happening again. So glad I ordered and picked up when I did!

A daily drive around town has been so fun while everyone is practicing social distancing.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
Since the title of the thread is asking about "considering" delaying...yes. Strongly. My delivery is supposed to be this Friday. I already sold my 335i last week so I'm literally borrowing my mom's car for a week. She is in the high risk group so she is self-quarantining anyhow.

The bottom line is if I had not already sold my 335i and had a car to drive, I 100% wouldn't take delivery and would postpone. My alternative is to pick up some beater Honda Accord or something and drive it around for 6 months, but that's not particularly appealing.

Pros to taking delivery now:
* If I wait, it will take a while to get another model 3
* Support Tesla / economy - but realistically my family and I are #1, not Tesla corp.
* I will have a car to drive

Cons:
* Enormous economic and social instability/uncertainty right now
* Loan obligation
* If I got laid off (unlikely) and wanted to sell the market would be softer depending on what happens with unemployment, causing higher than expected deprecation and bottom line losses

Since the title of the thread is asking about "considering" delaying...yes. Strongly. My delivery is supposed to be this Friday. I already sold my 335i last week so I'm literally borrowing my mom's car for a week. She is in the high risk group so she is self-quarantining anyhow.

The bottom line is if I had not already sold my 335i and had a car to drive, I 100% wouldn't take delivery and would postpone. My alternative is to pick up some beater Honda Accord or something and drive it around for 6 months, but that's not particularly appealing.

Pros to taking delivery now:
* If I wait, it will take a while to get another model 3
* Support Tesla / economy - but realistically my family and I are #1, not Tesla corp.
* I will have a car to drive

Cons:
* Enormous economic and social instability/uncertainty right now
* Loan obligation
* If I got laid off (unlikely) and wanted to sell the market would be softer depending on what happens with unemployment, causing higher than expected deprecation and bottom line losses
Make sure you disinfect the car before returning it to her, it’s rather nice to have a loaner but if you somehow pick up the bug and are asymptomatic before you get your new car... Of course, detailing a borrowed car is always a nice gesture as a thank-you :)

I checked with my local dealer yesterday and they now have about a dozen Performance 3's available in inventory. I'm assuming that's a result of folks balking at taking delivery since there was a 7-9 week wait and nothing in inventory when I ordered back in January. I'm going to see if I can just come pick one up earlier and get it today instead of waiting a week.

Best,