Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can tell at the delivery center. Multiple ways.

If you’re ordering new it’s basically 100% you have HW4. If you didn’t have HW4 computer you would also be missing a ton of other hardware. You need new cameras and such.

HW3 is all going to M3 for time being.

If you’re buying a car or the lot and it’s been there 6 months you prob have HW3. But again if it’s in front of you it’s easy to tell.

Last I read the radar was for S/X. The HW4 board is same Y, S, and X but the board for the Y is missing several chips and connections, which are used for various things not offered on the Y. One of which is supposed to be Radar.

You can tell at the delivery center. Multiple ways.

If you’re ordering new it’s basically 100% you have HW4. If you didn’t have HW4 computer you would also be missing a ton of other hardware. You need new cameras and such.
To be clear, this is only for US built vehicles.

As this thread is in a UK forum, the above doesn’t apply here yet as no HW4 vehicles have come off the China production line to date.

To be clear, this is only for US built vehicles.

As this thread is in a UK forum, the above doesn’t apply here yet as no HW4 vehicles have come off the China production line to date.

My bad.But NO it’s not only applicable for US built vehicles.

For example HD radar connection has been removed from US MY. Tesla has been removing options from UK cars not adding them. One poster was asking about radar. If it’s not even on the US circuit boards it’s 99% sure it will not be on UK and same with other circuit board features. Tesla is not going to add features only intended for US X/S and add to UK Y.

Like use the way to tell if US Y has HW4 is going to be the same for UK.

In which case no Singapore Model Y have shipped with HW4. Even shipments from last week are still HW3. With the backlog I would expect another 1-3 months before HW4 MY hit the UK shores. Highland 3 seems to be priority and could be reason for shutdown in Fremont.

Last edited:
My bad.But NO it’s not only applicable for US built vehicles.

For example HD radar connection has been removed from US MY. Tesla has been removing options from UK cars not adding them. One poster was asking about radar. If it’s not even on the US circuit boards it’s 99% sure it will not be on UK and same with other circuit board features. Tesla is not going to add features only intended for US X/S and add to UK Y.

Like use the way to tell if US Y has HW4 is going to be the same for UK.

In which case no Singapore Model Y have shipped with HW4. Even shipments from last week are still HW3. With the backlog I would expect another 1-3 months before HW4 MY hit the UK shores. Highland 3 seems to be priority and could be reason for shutdown in Fremont.
is GOING to be. no one knows when. might be like FSD - maybe never ever

Radar on U.K. cars is a moot point; it’s not used even if the car is equipped with it. Whether they ever get round to using a new radar is anyone’s guess, but I suspect Tesla will not release software that’s significantly better than a current car spec for some time (assuming they could) simply because of the backlash. Owners would demand upgrading or refunds

is GOING to be. no one knows when. might be like FSD - maybe never ever

What’s going to be. The HD Radar. It’s already in the shipping S & X. Now if it’s used or NOT was not what PP was asking. Just if it would be there.

Tesla teardown confirms the presence of the new radar in HW4-equipped vehicles

And a mentioned previously it’s not on the Y as HW board tear downs has show the radar connector was never installed along with many other missing connectors and computer chips all intended only for S & X.

Last edited:
The point was is HW4 or in the Y now in UK. No.

If not when could it be expected. HW won’t likely be seen for at least a month. More likely 1-3 at a minimum.

What about radar. It’s not on Y in US and won’t be any time soon due to boards on US HW4 cars. Unlikely UK the oils get radar and not US.

Those were the concerns and my intended response. Along with trying to be helpful with appropriate supporting websites.

Reactions: MrT3
How do we know if a model Y being produced right now has HW4/radar etc or not? All they sent me was that my MYP wouldn't have the USS's...
You can’t that I know of. Best bet is visit your local service center and look at the lot. I visited my local SC a couple weeks ago and could not find a single NEW MY on the lot that wasn‘t HW4 - I walked around and checked every one. Most if not all were from Austin.

I asked a sales rep and she said HW4 is almost all they’re getting now for HW4 but a few HW3’s are still showing up. She said there is no guarantee, but you can decline delivery once at no cost and wait for the next one, but after that it’ll cost you $250 to decline again. Of course at some point there won’t be any more new MY’s with HW3 - but I suspect Tesla will never confirm for you.

You can’t that I know of. Best bet is visit your local service center and look at the lot. I visited my local SC a couple weeks ago and could not find a single NEW MY on the lot that wasn‘t HW4 - I walked around and checked every one. Most if not all were from Austin.

I asked a sales rep and she said HW4 is almost all they’re getting now for HW4 but a few HW3’s are still showing up. She said there is no guarantee, but you can decline delivery once at no cost and wait for the next one, but after that it’ll cost you $250 to decline again. Of course at some point there won’t be any more new MY’s with HW3 - but I suspect Tesla will never confirm for you.
FFS - this is UK/ Ireland subforum. There are no HW4s in europe

Reactions: Midpack