Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audiotronics: We all like smooth bumpers but I fear that they will not be smooth for very long if relying on camera vision to assist in parking. I have been driving since 1967 where some cars had only three gears and one had to double-de-clutch to shift gears, we did have robust chrome bumpers to protect the car body work, but manufacturers have generally always gone forwards never back.
I also accept that Tesla is continuing to improve in moving to FSD, however I fear that in Elon is juggling too many balls and cannot devote time to all his majour projects and Tesa is suffering and loosing ground to other manufacturers. There is also an erosion of trust, there is a limit on how many times one can spin soundbites that don't materialise, sadly cant see software always replacing hardware, especially where the replacement is worst and there is no going back leaving owners with a poor product.

Tesla is too keen to strip equipment out such as Radar, rain and USS sensors and then worry about finding a software solution which when released is not better than previous and assuming customers are prepared to be sucked in and have to go without for month. That may have previously worked but owners have wised and will hold Tesla to account when thinking of vehicle replacement.
I paid top dollar for my Y, but at the time did not have any regrets, there were many benefits in owning a Tesla, but that's all being eroded away, Tesla charging stations being opened up to non Tesla cars, volumes increasing all relying on the existing service centers leading to poor service.
How many balls have to drop before the penny drops?
I hear ya on that. after having a few cars with all those features removed from the Tesla it is a bit lacking. And I am not too happy about the super Chargers being opened up to other brands of cars due to wait times to charge. I was really looking forward to have a semi private charging area on trips just for teslas.

the upside is the possibility that we will get more robust Charging stations in the future. the main thing I really like is that this is a truly North American made car and later models might have battery packs made in China. I hope that this car will last 200,000 or more miles and still pull at least a 3.8 0-60mph. only time will tell what battery packs are truly superior in the long run, but I do believe the Panasonic Tesla packs are the best and will remain so for a long time.

It’s like the old saying “they don’t make ‘em like they used to.“ Maybe I’m being too optimistic, because future batteries might be better but my research leads me towards think any battery tech from now on might be “better” but the cars will get slower and maybe not have these plaid modes. In a manufacturers younger years such as Tesla they will tend to show off how powerful they are. When that no longer matters and gov’t regulations kick in; it could even be banned to have such fast cars. I hope that is not the case, but we will just have to roll with it. Super bike manufacturers went through an industry wide ban on bikes faster than 180mph because too many customers passed away at the controls. I like to think about what battery swaps might look like in 50 years when these cars are like old muscle cars. will there be available parts as there are for rebuilding classic cars? Or what if we just have unfixable cars because they don’t make S3XY cars or batteries anymore kinda like the Tesla Roadster 😔

…main thing I really like is that this is a truly North American made car

You’ve drifted into the UK subforum and we have had our cars from China for a few years now. We don’t even get the Berlin made cars here and I think it’s probably fair to say given a choice we’d take German built cars if we could. The cars we get today are better built than cars we used to get, so locally China built Teslas are seen as better than US ones, but this is almost certainly purely down to evolution over time. What’s got worse is the design, the gradual removal of features or technology with the hope a few lines of code will be able to reproduce it. So for us, what’s got worse is because of US design changes and software.and what’s got better is China production methods. Absolutely no offence is meant by this, it’s just a perception from outside the US.

China is where the bulk of the stuff in the car comes from anyway. It would be more accurate to say that it is "Assembled in America" (or Berlin), but that is true of most stuff really.

As I understand it the US has recently taken major steps to consolidate manufacturing domestically, offering massive incentives, to try and reduce the dependance on Asia. Whether or not this would translate to higher quality is a hard (and emotive) question to answer. As @GeorgeSymonds alluded to - we've had Chinese built cars since March 2021 and they have been in the main consistently well put together. MIA cars previously were hit and miss, and there is evidence of some real stinkers, and basic stuff being poor. Chrome trim misalignment was a regular complaint (I had to get mine tweaked a little bit).

I've seen photos of new Plaid Xs with shocking panel gaps or inconsistent gaps, so it's not even a thing that is a thing on the mass produced cars only.

Honestly the best thing you can say about MIA cars is that sometimes you luck out and "get one of the better ones". Not exactly high praise. I consider my car one of these, and was told by the detailer I use as such (caveated with "they're all bad"), but I have the odd blemish and inconsistent paint thickness (e.g. too much) here and there. I accepted it at the time because it was that or nothing - but it would be fair to say that MIC cars are a step up.

You’ve drifted into the UK subforum and we have had our cars from China for a few years now. We don’t even get the Berlin made cars here and I think it’s probably fair to say given a choice we’d take German built cars if we could. The cars we get today are better built than cars we used to get, so locally China built Teslas are seen as better than US ones, but this is almost certainly purely down to evolution over time. What’s got worse is the design, the gradual removal of features or technology with the hope a few lines of code will be able to reproduce it. So for us, what’s got worse is because of US design changes and software.and what’s got better is China production methods. Absolutely no offence is meant by this, it’s just a perception from outside the US.
I would think that Berlin would supply most of Europe at some point, right? Wasn't that the plan for that plant? Of course, perhaps you'll be 'stuck' with Chinese cars since you're not part of the EU any longer - might it be cheaper to import them from China vs the EU?

I would think that Berlin would supply most of Europe at some point, right? Wasn't that the plan for that plant? Of course, perhaps you'll be 'stuck' with Chinese cars since you're not part of the EU any longer - might it be cheaper to import them from China vs the EU?
It’s not really an EU thing, it’s more our steering wheel is on the opposite side so more in common with Singapore, Australia and New Zealand to name a few and making the odd ball cars in one place makes life easier for Tesla even if that means shipping halfway around the world

Reactions: Durzel

Ahh my apologies I am not intending to throw off the original topic . I just got home from being in london for a month, I missed my car so much. & on that not if I lived in The UK I would try as hard as possible to get a flat in Germany for long enough to buy a Berlin made model :) . I wonder if that changes if you get a performance or plaid models so that you will get the Panasonic packs on the higher end models. Also the build quality has become vastly superior to cars made just a year or two ago with all the improvements learned from making giga Berlin and Giga China the cars they are pumping out today I do believe will be superior to anything previous going forward. At least on my March 2023 build date car it was flawless upon delivery. only a few small dust nibs under the pain in 3 various spots and a small spider silk like scratch On the bonnet. My Friend who lives in London has a 2021 model 3 that I spent the last few weeks traveling around in was nearly perfect as well. And I could not tell it was made in China . It felt just as solid as my Fremont california built performance model y.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly the best thing you can say about MIA cars is that sometimes you luck out and "get one of the better ones". Not exactly high praise. I consider my car one of these
Mine is a good one too. Good paintwork. No bad panel gaps or misaligned trim. Just the usual condensation in the B pillar cameras and rear lights.
It’s what I would call a ‘Wednesday’ car. Middle of the week and everyone has their eye on the ball.

Tesla used to be a world beater.

Mine is a good one too. Good paintwork. No bad panel gaps or misaligned trim. Just the usual condensation in the B pillar cameras and rear lights.
It’s what I would call a ‘Wednesday’ car. Middle of the week and everyone has their eye on the ball.
I would agree the build quality has improved, with no issues, the big disappointment is that Tesla have taken their eyes off the ball and can no longer sell vehicles based on leading technology, functions that were available and working have been deactivated. hardware stripped relying on cameras only, which have not restored function to the same level of reliability and bits that have been restored via software release to date are worst. Other vehicle manufacturers have certainly caught up and in most cases surpassed Tesla and the only way Tesla can now sell cars is keep reducing the price until they bottom to a low quality out dated vehicle. I do hope that Blue Cruise is a wake up call to Tesla and try to regain technical superiority which it used to dominate the EV industry.

My 2020 Fremont Model 3 was like that too and just as good as the MIC Model Y I now own (it had sensors, this one doesn't)

My Daughter has had two Fremont Model Xs in the USA and the only blemish was a faulty sensor on the LH gull wing door at delivery, replaced by a Ranger within the first week.

Reactions: init6
RedY23. I would agree that Park assist has been replaced, I would disagree that its as good or reliable as USS at present. I find it hit and miss and cannot be relied upon as it does not show 9" x 9" brick pillars and 24" garden wall in good or bad weather by the front facing cameras, the rear is better but distance displayed when reversing in my garage are never the same. Despite written and verbal promises still waiting for Park, summon and special summons, doubt that will be delivered or working in the near or distance future.
Lastly I disagree with stripping equipment for cost cutting before having a working alternative , that is coming to bite, as Tesla is now in seventh place in hands free driving and constant price reduction is starting to back fire with price increases in certain models.
I would agree that they did not list USS when contracted to purchase the car BUT Tesla did list Park, park assist, summons and special summons which has not been delivered.
When I ordered mine Park, park assist, summons were clearly on hold. Spelled out right on main page.

On the same note their FSD and even their Freeway only AP is garbage that should be free and not worth more than perhaps 50 dollar token fee. I chose to skip the $6000 fee and of course the 15000 ripoff.
I decided to pay the 200 for one month to see what the fuss was about. LMAO anyone that paid for this full fee should sue for a refund. I cancelled the monthly after giving it a good 2000 mile try on both long distance and city.
First of all there is no City and anything beyond the freeway option (6000 ripoff) is IMO dangerous at best and really does not work most of the time. And I live in suburbia sprawl. The freeway option adds lane change to base AP which is totally unecessary if they just allowed the car to shift lanes when you signal in the free AP.
So I like the speed and would love to see the Self Park and Summon and AP work. But like everything tesla. Its all just a promise that the features may work someday… soon meah or never. They did make that clear(ish) when I bought the car and its clear from us on this forum.

When I ordered mine Park, park assist, summons were clearly on hold. Spelled out right on main page.

On the same note their FSD and even their Freeway only AP is garbage that should be free and not worth more than perhaps 50 dollar token fee. I chose to skip the $6000 fee and of course the 15000 ripoff.
I decided to pay the 200 for one month to see what the fuss was about. LMAO anyone that paid for this full fee should sue for a refund. I cancelled the monthly after giving it a good 2000 mile try on both long distance and city.
First of all there is no City and anything beyond the freeway option (6000 ripoff) is IMO dangerous at best and really does not work most of the time. And I live in suburbia sprawl. The freeway option adds lane change to base AP which is totally unecessary if they just allowed the car to shift lanes when you signal in the free AP.
So I like the speed and would love to see the Self Park and Summon and AP work. But like everything tesla. Its all just a promise that the features may work someday… soon meah or never. They did make that clear(ish) when I bought the car and its clear from us on this forum.
Redy23, They made it clear a week before pick up in December 22 that parking functions would be temporarily disabled whilst Tesla transferred over to vision. Caption "Coming Soon", "for a short period of time" and "safety was not being compromised". Tesla is a great vehicle but what stuck in my throat was the verbal and written lies and deceit to avoid me cancelling the purchase.
I now don't believe a single word from Elon or Tesla, which is a shame as Tesla was a world leader, now a world behind other manufacturers. My mate just picked up a KIA EV and it parked and he pulled it out using summons, which left me looking rather silly in my supposedly high teck vehicle. What I cant get my head around is that some Tesla owners on this group cant see that its inexcusable to charge for features and then not deliver them. The length and excuses to protect this ripoff practice with comments like " I can park using my mirrors and never damaged my car" or you have a big screen in front, so why do you need sensors and even suggesting I am a poor driver if I have to rely on sensors for parking. Yes I can park without sensors BUT PAID FOR THE FUNCTIONS which I do not have. We were as mentioned previously wanted have two Tesla EV in our household, but after Tesla experience we decided against Tesla and went totally city and purchased a Fiat 500 La Prima and yes it came fully packed with all systems fully delivered, a personal demonstration and a video of our car explaining all the functions. Cant beat quality and service.

Redy23, They made it clear a week before pick up in December 22 that parking functions would be temporarily disabled whilst Tesla transferred over to vision. Caption "Coming Soon", "for a short period of time" and "safety was not being compromised". Tesla is a great vehicle but what stuck in my throat was the verbal and written lies and deceit to avoid me cancelling the purchase.
I now don't believe a single word from Elon or Tesla, which is a shame as Tesla was a world leader, now a world behind other manufacturers. My mate just picked up a KIA EV and it parked and he pulled it out using summons, which left me looking rather silly in my supposedly high teck vehicle. What I cant get my head around is that some Tesla owners on this group cant see that its inexcusable to charge for features and then not deliver them. The length and excuses to protect this ripoff practice with comments like " I can park using my mirrors and never damaged my car" or you have a big screen in front, so why do you need sensors and even suggesting I am a poor driver if I have to rely on sensors for parking. Yes I can park without sensors BUT PAID FOR THE FUNCTIONS which I do not have. We were as mentioned previously wanted have two Tesla EV in our household, but after Tesla experience we decided against Tesla and went totally city and purchased a Fiat 500 La Prima and yes it came fully packed with all systems fully delivered, a personal demonstration and a video of our car explaining all the functions. Cant beat quality and service.
You are correct Frank,Tesla has already fallen behind an increasing number of other EV manufacturers with very poorly implemented or non-existent basic driving features.

I sympathise with you in believing that aspects that are clearly necessary in your situation were demonstrated prior to purchase but no longer exist & may not be reliable or even possible using the current suite of cameras.

In my case ‘autonomy’ was never an important requirement when ordering my first Tesla & having already driven several others I never saw any benefit in paying more for part-functioning, buggy beta software. It’s very regrettable that you were in the process of ordering at the same time as Tesla decided to remove such a simple and functional set of devices with no sign of summon (which you need) being reinstated.

I strongly dislike Tesla as a corporate entity but for what I require, both their cars I have owned have been fault free, efficient, very enjoyable to drive and suit my needs very well. Having said that I expect to keep my current car for longer than the three years of the first and this will be my last Tesla if their current ownership and attitude prevails.

As a footnote, I agree wholeheartedly about the 500e La Prima. My wife has owned one since January 2022 and it’s an absolute joy to drive. Very well built, extremely efficient around town with a very accurate, reliable & user friendly ‘autopilot’ system that is superior to the same thing on a Tesla (hardly surprising).

Last edited:
You are correct Frank,Tesla has already fallen behind an increasing number of other EV manufacturers with very poorly implemented or non-existent basic driving features.

I sympathise with you in believing that aspects that are clearly necessary in your situation were demonstrated prior to purchase but no longer exist & may not be reliable or even possible using the current suite of cameras.

In my case ‘autonomy’ was never an important requirement when ordering my first Tesla & having already driven several others I never saw any benefit in paying more for part-functioning, buggy beta software. It’s very regrettable that you were in the process of ordering at the same time as Tesla decided to remove such a simple and functional set of devices with no sign of summon (which you need) being reinstated.

I strongly dislike Tesla as a corporate entity but for what I require, both their cars I have owned have been fault free, efficient, very enjoyable to drive and suit my needs very well. Having said that I expect to keep my current car for longer than the three years of the first and this will be my last Tesla if their current ownership and attitude prevails.

As a footnote, I agree wholeheartedly about the 500e La Prima. My wife has owned one since January 2022 and it’s an absolute joy to drive. Very well built, extremely efficient around town with a very accurate, reliable & user friendly ‘autopilot’ system that is superior to the same thing on a Tesla (hardly surprising).
Drew57 Thanks for your comments, I too am very fond of my Tesla Y long range and I was fully aware when I opted for FSD that it was a future development but was interested in getting updates and hoped that one day, yes it may make driving easier and safer. What turned me off was Tesla negating to deliver the basic functions that are available in the most basic vehicles on the market. Tesla is also becoming a laughing stock, if it cant 100% judge distances accurately and not deliver parking functions then there is no hope for tesla ever moving on and will continue to slip in the autonomous driving league. Well I understand that by removing hardware Elon has saved bundles but has been knocked off the podium and only way to maintain sales is to keep dropping the price and that not working either, now having to add free charging.