Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else find it ironic that software updates....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
So how many times have you read, been told over the phone or been told in person at the service center, that software updates are sent to your car when there is one for "your particular configuration". Anyone else find it ironic that the latest software updates are always on the loaner cars we receive? No matter what age, what AP version, what options, seems that all loaner cars are running on the latest version. Why is it that Tesla's fleet meets the "particular configuration" needed for a new software version but neither of my 2017 Model S or 2017 Model X seem to have the right "particular configuration" for an update?

Meanwhile 3 versions behind again and coming up on the 3rd "this weekend" for the new NAV update.....all I hear is "your car(s) have the latest version for their configuration".

Oh yeah, where is that "We will add a feature to allow request of latest software version" from @elonmusk tweet

Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: croman
Nah, no Irony there. Since the loaner was at the service center than it probably got the updates over the air via their geo-fenced network. Being at a Tesla Store or SC on their wifi is the best way to get a quick update from my understanding. I have no personal experience with this though.

Being at a Tesla Store or SC on their wifi is the best way to get a quick update from my understanding. I have no personal experience with this though.

That worked for about a month until word made it to the forums and owners made mad dash runs to park at the SC / Delivery Centers to get the latest update. Hasn’t worked that way in over 2 years.

According to my service center, software updates are received by the service centers first, they put it on "their" vehicles first for verification, before being pushed to the general users, and the order of deployment is by VIN number then. I assume some "beta test" vehicles are not following the above update sequence. Not sure if the VIN deployment cycle is based on the countrywide VIN sequence or if it is based on the VIN base in that service center area.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
"According to my service center, software updates are received by the service centers first, they put it on "their" vehicles first for verification, before being pushed to the general users"

That's a new one to add to the list. Never heard that one before.

"According to my service center, software updates are received by the service centers first, they put it on "their" vehicles first for verification, before being pushed to the general users"

That's a new one to add to the list. Never heard that one before.

I haven’t either but it sounds reasonable. Having a service center appointment is the surest way to get a firmware update. Makes sense that they’d load the latest on their loaner cars.

Yeah, no reason they wouldn't test it on loaners. But that assumes they test it on anything. (I kid, I kid.... )

The whole 'get it at the SC' has been restricted to: you have to be on a workorder, and perhaps even ask for it. As was sorta said, you can't just go there, and sometimes even a work order for something won't do it, you need to ask for a firmware update.

But sometimes they even overwrite the current update with the same thing. Just to be sure. :D

Hang in there buddy…. waiting for updates SUCKS, we've all been there.

FWIW, I swear when my car was 80mph-restricted in sales mode, it would always get the latest update right away. Kinda makes me think if I should call and ask for my car to be put back into sales mode :D

• Funny
Reactions: croman
I work in the software industry and it is typical practice on a large consumer population to roll out updates in waves starting with "friendly" users (employees and loaners) then a small percentage of the general population and increasing. This way any escaped defects (or significant customer pushback) can be discovered before impacting everyone.

One place I worked we would push out mobile app updates -- of course everyone could update immediately -- but new features would be phased in while they were being tested. So even users with the same "version" would get different features. And we might enable new previously dormant features without you even updating!