Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else had to replace the whole drivetrain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really why the whole drivetrain is getting replaced.

The only thing that could really put out the motor is overheating (almost always due to overcurrent). The winding wire insulation ends up melting and the motor stops working. The other is a bearing goes bad (manufacturing defect). Other than this you are looking at external forces, direct damage, foreign object and the like.

The inverter like any piece of electronics have numerous failure points.

I would assume the inverter started faulting, and sent too much current out and the car shut every thing down to save the motor. Tesla wants to see the actual damage (to verify their safety systems are working) and see if there is a possible design weakness they could improve in future versions.

The value to a failed drive train to Tesla at this point is so high they are going to take every one they can.

great explanation! Thank you.

They decided to replace the whole drive train to play it safe I guess. Won't get it back until tomorrow now but just because some of the staff is working at other shops (probably getting ready for the regular production deliveries) Good news is there happened to be an engineer there from Freemont so he's overseeing everything!

Sounds like you lucked out. Lisa was mentioning that they didn't have a huge parts supply yet so hopefully this will be one of those one off issues.

Yeah, same thing happened to me a few days ago. What happened to me is this: car was working perfectly. Basically brand new, with only 711 miles on it, and about 170 miles on the battery. Drove across town (via surface streets) and parked the car in the sun (but it was just warm that day, not hot). So far so good. Came back and hour later, and the car started normally. Put it in reverse, and the car kind of made a jolt and a THUNK! as if I'd hit something (at 1mph). I checked in back ... nothing. There was a message on the dash "Pull over and turn car off, and restart." I did this multiple times, and each time the same thing happend. Very quickly I realized that this was terribly serious, and I needed to get the car towed to Tesla. Fortunately, I was only about 4 miles from the Menlo Park Tesla service center, but I had to wait nearly 2 hours for the flatbed (which Tesla called for me). I also tried calling AAA on my own, but Tesla's service beat them to the punch. Long story short: my drive inverter assembly had to be replaced. Tesla told me that this was highly unusual. I am grateful that I was in easy (non-freeway) traffic, and I'm also grateful that Tesla was able to replace the part in 1 day. I hope it never happens again though.

- - - Updated - - -

And I should have confirmed that this was a Tesla Model S, which I purchased in February of 2013.

Add me to the list. Twice.

P85 (#P02364) with 29,xxx miles. Took delivery Dec 2012.

July 11 2014: Heading from SoCal to Las Vegas. Accelerating from stop light in Vegas, loud CLUNK...then whirring sound but no torque to wheels. Las Vegas service center arrived in about 50 minutes with loaner (tow truck was there first).
July 12 2014: LV SC replaces entire drivetrain (had in stock). Says this is only the second they've done. Car is returned and seems to be running smoothly again.

Awful failure, incredible response/fix (couldn't do that with ICE blown engine...but how often does an ICE with 30k miles blow an engine???).

July 13 2014: after waiting 40 minutes for slot at Barstow Supercharger and then charging in 109F heat, get message that cooling is being diverted to "systems" (so there is NO CABIN A/C). Even after unplugging from supercharger (which pushes much more current through the system than normal driving) and driving for an hour, NO CABIN A/C. While I suppose this could have been a problem with the coolant flush/replace/bleed that was done with the drivetrain swap, it just seems like not enough output from the A/C, which is screamingly loud.

Now the car is at the Van Nuys SC getting A/C fixed and sound insulation kit installed (standard with current shipments)...and what do they say? There is an unspecified (or at least undisclosed) "fault" in the drivetrain and they need to replace the drivetrain AGAIN.
And what have the issues causing drivetrain failures done to my battery? If it has been a cooling issue, couldn't the battery overheat also? Even if not to the point of generating an alarm and shutting down, it can't be good.

I've been a real supporter of Tesla and, like many others, have forgiven non-critical part failures (door handles, window, seat - see my full review, not including incidents of last few days, at http://evtripplanner.com/review.php). This drivetrain and A/C combo is shaking me...can I trust the car for road trips? what if the failure happened at high speed in the middle of the desert? what if I couldn't get safely out of traffic?

These types of failures would NOT be accepted in a $30k ICE vehicle. The reasons I think these issues have not hurt Tesla too much are:
* Incredible driving experience (when everything is working)
* Early adopters are very forgiving, keeping the "big picture" in mind
* Over-the-top service response and valet pick-up with loaners
* Quality issues aren't well-publicized (to new buyers)

If new units being shipped have the kind of issues the first few thousand seem to have had, it will be hard for Tesla to sustain their sales and reputation. Also of concern are warranty reserves, which seem low if these issues are happening as frequently as it seemed to in early cars. I sure want Tesla to succeed, so I hope current buyers don't have this experience!

Cliff, you may want to update your mirror post at TM forums. Here you say you took delivery in 12/12, but at TM forums you stated delivery in 12/13 - a year later. This is a huge data point and your VIN # points to a 2012 delivery. Would you mind correcting your post at TM?

AmpedRealtor - thanks for heads up, but when I looked at thread at Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors I didn't see date mistake. Where are you referring to?

Cliff, you may want to update your mirror post at TM forums. Here you say you took delivery in 12/12, but at TM forums you stated delivery in 12/13 - a year later. This is a huge data point and your VIN # points to a 2012 delivery. Would you mind correcting your post at TM?