Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have to refill their tires every few mos?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live up in the Bay Area and commute from the East Bay to the peninsula. The temp is dropping a little bit here, but never below 55 at night (car overnights on the peninsula, and garage at home). I feel like my tire PSI in all my tires keeps dropping about 5 PSI every 3-4 mos. I've never had this issue with my previous car and lived in the Midwest where temps went from 100 to 30 in 5 mos and the TPMS sensors never went off. Is this an issue with the factory Tesla tires?

Air is already 78% nitrogen.

Pure nitrogen is better.

But by a pretty tiny/fractional amount of a passenger car. (you're talking differences of like 2-3% per year in pressure loss nitrogen vs regular air)

(aircraft tire pressure is typically many times higher than passenger vehicles- 200-300psi range BTW)

Upvote 0
I see large changes in tire pressure with temperature...
A couple of weeks ago, a Tesla SC fixed one tire and pumped it up to 44psi. It was about 75-83F that day. A few days later temp was around 65, and that tire was around 40psi.

I find if I set my tires for about 44psi in the summer, it ends up being around 36-38psi in the winter.

Do people actually shift their tire pressures up and down with the seasons? I never did that before with any other car. And of course it is not just about outside temp since if you take the car on the highway for a while, the tires heat up and pressure can easily rise 4-6psi.

Setting the tires to 44psi in the winter here (0-15F) means that it rises to 48psi or more with extensive highway driving or summer temps. So what do people do?

Upvote 0
I see large changes in tire pressure with temperature...
A couple of weeks ago, a Tesla SC fixed one tire and pumped it up to 44psi. It was about 75-83F that day. A few days later temp was around 65, and that tire was around 40psi.

I find if I set my tires for about 44psi in the summer, it ends up being around 36-38psi in the winter.

Do people actually shift their tire pressures up and down with the seasons? I never did that before with any other car. And of course it is not just about outside temp since if you take the car on the highway for a while, the tires heat up and pressure can easily rise 4-6psi.

Setting the tires to 44psi in the winter here (0-15F) means that it rises to 48psi or more with extensive highway driving or summer temps. So what do people do?
Tire pressure is affected by temperature whether that is ambient or heat created by driving. Ideally you should be checking tire pressures every so often, especially when the weather changes. And obviously that includes taking the season into account.

Upvote 0