Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having trouble using the turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
Like a good doobe, I use the signal before changing lanes, but because it was only a teeny tiny lane change itdoesn;t cancel, so I tap it ever so gently in the opposite direction

...then I start signaling in the other direction!

so guess what I do next - yes that's right, and the people behind me must wonder what I'm doing because to them I'm driving like a drunken sailor who has no idea which lane I want to be in

Like a good doobe, I use the signal before changing lanes, but because it was only a teeny tiny lane change itdoesn;t cancel, so I tap it ever so gently in the opposite direction

...then I start signaling in the other direction!

so guess what I do next - yes that's right, and the people behind me must wonder what I'm doing because to them I'm driving like a drunken sailor who has no idea which lane I want to be in

Hillarious... I have been complaining about this to fellow Tesla owners. My last 5 autos were Porsches. This turn signal issue is very annoying. I am so used to a quick tap then when the wheel straightens the signal turns off. Instead with the Tesla it stays on, then you hit it to turn off and it goes to the other side. I have since been told you must tap it extremely light for it to respond the way we are used to with previous cars. It takes some getting used to. I wrote this because I am glad its not just me, and to let you know you are not alone in this matter. BTW, if you tap to lightly, the signal
turns off before the turn is complete. So with the high amount of distracted drivers on the road, one could argue if an accident that you never signaled. So be careful!
Happy Holidays, stay safe and well.

I can honestly say I've never had an issue with the turn signal operation in my 3 months of MYP ownership so far, despite never owning a car with the turn signal stalk that works this way. However, I find the resistance a bit too much going to the detent that keeps the signal on. I think I actually sprained my ring finger a little bit at one point from using the turn signal, which is pretty embarrassing.

I can honestly say I've never had an issue with the turn signal operation in my 3 months of MYP ownership so far, despite never owning a car with the turn signal stalk that works this way. However, I find the resistance a bit too much going to the detent that keeps the signal on. I think I actually sprained my ring finger a little bit at one point from using the turn signal, which is pretty embarrassing.
Oh, jeez...yet another Tesla lawsuit...

If you press only to the first detent, it will blink 3 times for lane changes and then turn off.
While I have no issue turning off my turn signal, I've been having trouble finding that first detent. I've only had my MYLR for a day and it does seem to be getting easier to hit but yesterday I don't think I hit the first detent a single time. :(

1. If you tap it half-way in the same direction, it will turn the signal off, except in the case when it had turned itself off already just before you tapped. But in this case you can just wait out another three blinks. Then it will finish.
  2. After the latest update it turns itself off after a lane change and also after you indicate and drive off from the curb. A very likable update.