Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else just get invited to EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you having to do anything after receiving the email? Or are you just opt'd in? Also, when logging into Tesla.com is there any indication you are enrolled? Just curious since I'm FSD, and also got enough referrals to be in early access many moons ago but nothing has ever come about it. Seems like that's changing soon.
Elon is not waiting for you to invite you to the Early Access Program. It's all just a smoke screen. Buying FSD won't get you into the program.

• Funny
Reactions: ibGeek and Alketi
Took delivery of SR+ with FSD on 5/2/19. Got the email yesterday. TeslaFi data is too useful for me due to traveling so I can’t join. That’s really an annoying restriction.

If you're savvy enough, there are offline (self-hosted) Tesla API tools that can completely replace TeslaFi lephisto/tesla-apiscraper

I would jump at the chance to be a part of Early Access.

Early Access means you get to be their Beta tester for free, so Tesla doesn't have to spend as much money on fleet testing. You're working for them. It's not a perk, unless you really get some kind of personal enjoyment out of using immature and potentially dangerous (if Autopilot related) software.

If you use autopilot the way it is intended it is perfectly safe. The problem is that it is just decent enough to tempt you to do the other thing.

If you use autopilot the way it is intended it is perfectly safe. The problem is that it is just decent enough to tempt you to do the other thing.

I am referring to the Smart Summon beta software which, based on recent videos, looks like it could cause disruption in public parking lots (due to a driverless vehicle not driving in normal lanes) or maybe even worse.

If somebody gets hurt or some damage occurs, I highly doubt Tesla will cover that. Whereas when an automotive OEM contracts out to companies to do real world fleet testing, usually there is insurance on a business level.

You're assuming significant risk by using something like that.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I am referring to the Smart Summon beta software which, based on recent videos, looks like it could cause disruption in public parking lots (due to a driverless vehicle not driving in normal lanes) or maybe even worse.

If somebody gets hurt or some damage occurs, I highly doubt Tesla will cover that. Whereas when an automotive OEM contracts out to companies to do real world fleet testing, usually there is insurance on a business level.

There's no doubt about it, they will not cover it. Owner is responsible, just as is the case with AP/NoA/FSD and Beta functionality.

Reactions: mazers
Are apps like

The car moves at 5mph... and you need to be line of site in order to use summon according to the owners manual... plus I have insurance. Im assuming you have to press and hold to use summon. That would be driving the vehicle..

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
Are apps like

The car moves at 5mph... and you need to be line of site in order to use summon according to the owners manual... plus I have insurance. Im assuming you have to press and hold to use summon. That would be driving the vehicle..

W/o any snark or sarcasm, it’d be interesting what would happen if the car damages something (or kills someone - it’s still a moving machine weighing thousands of pounds) while no-one is literally sitting in the driver’s seat.

I’m not so sure if pressing and holding a button to summon would qualify as “driving the vehicle” for insurance purposes. It’s probably legal new territory and I wouldn’t be surprised if you find yourself hiring an attorney to fight your insurance when they deny a claim.

Would insurance cover anything?

I mean my insurance would cover me if I let someone else borrow my car and they crashed it without me being there.. I would think this would be a similar situation.
But that someone presumably has a driver’s license (=issued by the state as evidence that this person is able to drive a car) and is a human being.

What if you willingly give your car to a 5 year old who crashes it. Will insurance pay (and not go after you)? A 5 year old probably has better vision and judgement than the first release of Enhanced Summon.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
W/o any snark or sarcasm, it’d be interesting what would happen if the car damages something (or kills someone - it’s still a moving machine weighing thousands of pounds) while no-one is literally sitting in the driver’s seat.

I’m not so sure if pressing and holding a button to summon would qualify as “driving the vehicle” for insurance purposes. It’s probably legal new territory and I wouldn’t be surprised if you find yourself hiring an attorney to fight your insurance when they deny a claim.

Would insurance cover anything?

Does your insurance policy say you have to be in the vehicle to “drive” it? Or require that you not use auto pilot features? I don’t think so... I agree it’s a little on the fringes, but I think an individual would win over an insurance company in this... but I agree it would likely requiring going to court... I think the risk is relatively small givin that you need to see the car to operate summon and the car moves slowly.