TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone else plagued by this? Glare from side mirror chrome

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by eco5280, Mar 21, 2015.

1. eco5280

eco5280 Member

20150320_160331 (1).jpg

Driving west last night I was blinded the whole time. I don't want to dip this part but this is not my favorite Model S feature so far :)

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

How about some of this in that little triangular window? Tint

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I've never had that particular glare issue; you just got lucky...

4. eco5280

eco5280 Member

It actually comes through both the teeny window and the main side window, it hits all of the chrome and creates like 2-3 glares that are designed to blind me. I'm sure that's the intent. Hopefully this is fixed in v6.2 ...

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

That gets a LOL! :biggrin:

6. Phil K

Phil K Member

Have to wait for v7.0 - auto steering will steer your car to avoid the glare.

7. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

You could move to Seattle or Portland. With all the rain the glare really isn't much of a problem :)

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Glare from the mirror hasn't bothered me (except at night when there is an SUV shining its lights in the mirror). However, on a couple of occasions glare from the aluminum strip around the small display has blinded me. This hasn't happened more and four or five times over two years, but it's scary when it happens because you really can't see. All items in the driver's field of view should be dark and flat.

9. Thumper

Thumper Member

I live in Oregon and I have experienced this glare a few times. It is quite bad when it happens. I have considered adding some sort of dull black to the mirror stalk top. It would be an improvement for TM to consider a solution for this problem.

10. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Interesting, I drive west in the afternoon here in the Sunshine State, and I have never experienced this in 2 years. I wonder what the difference is... Seat position?

11. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Never had that, but opening the pano roof when the sun is at a certain angle behind you can turn the touchscreen into a blindingly bright mirror.

Not a huge problem in the UK given the number of clear sunny days we get here ;)

12. jerry33

This one is easily fixed with the pano and hatch screens in the App store. Highly recommended.

13. AoneOne

AoneOne Member

The sunshades block 2/3 of the light. Has that proven to be enough to be effective when the sun is reflected off the touchscreen into the driver's eyes?

14. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Have not noticed in very sunny Sacramento but I do have my side windows tinted with 50%

15. jerry33

It's worked for me. Of course, it's not going to work if the sun is coming through the side windows, but that's pretty rare as there is only a short window of opportunity and the car has to be facing the correct way.

16. ION eDRV

ION eDRV Member

I never had this problem, but I've had tinting since I first took delivery of my ride...

17. preilly44

preilly44 Member

I've had this issue as well. We recently got it tinted to 35% I think and we still get the glare once in a while but it is much better than it used to be.

18. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

That may be the difference for me, I have 30% tint, it must be enough to cut that glare

19. TTT

TTT Member

My windows are tinted which prevents any glares

20. dmorean

dmorean Member

Yes! The glare from the side mirror stalks and from some of the interior metal frequently blinds/annoys me. This can cause fatigue on longer drives and, at times, can be dangerous. I find myself holding my hand between the glare and my eyes. Worse yet, it really bothers my wife in the passenger seat. I'll put in another vote for body color or black side mirror stalks and less-reflective interior trim. BUT, I LOVE my Tesla!