Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else sacrifice their deposit to get AP 2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder how much revenue boost Tesla will recognize just for cancelled orders?

Yeah but at the same time won't they likely take a hit on profit when selling the cars at a discounted price? (And there is no saying that all of the people that cancel will re-order.)

I can imagine that there are some people that are really conflicted. (Do I accept the MX60D with AP1 hardware, or do I get nothing because I can't afford a MX75D with AP2.)

But how many AP1 cars are in the delivery queue? If they did a good job of clearing the queue for Q3 there might not be that many.

Yeah but at the same time won't they likely take a hit on profit when selling the cars at a discounted price? (And there is no saying that all of the people that cancel will re-order.)

I can imagine that there are some people that are really conflicted. (Do I accept the MX60D with AP1 hardware, or do I get nothing because I can't afford a MX75D with AP2.)

Well they already produce a fairly large number of inventory cars, so the canceled ones can just be inventory cars and then they can produce fewer inventory cars a few weeks later as they'll now need to produce more customer orders to to take care of those that canceled and pushed off to the following month.

I thought Elon said they weren't going to discount cars any more?

Yeah, Elon also said he is going to send millions of people to Mars for $200,000 each. I don't believe that either.

Remember the Tesla battery swap service? Lots of stuff Elon says never happens.

Tesla will be discounting cars near the end of every quarter, just like every public company that has sales targets.

I thought Elon said they weren't going to discount cars any more?
They give "discounts", just not for new cars straight out the factory. They will just wait until the end of November/December. Then the cars will already be 1-2 months old, have old hardware and maybe a few miles and voila easy way to justify a price reduction.

Well they already produce a fairly large number of inventory cars, so the canceled ones can just be inventory cars and then they can produce fewer inventory cars a few weeks later as they'll now need to produce more customer orders to to take care of those that canceled and pushed off to the following month.
And hopefully they will be added to the loaner fleet. They definitely need more AP1 cars now and will need a lot more once Model 3s come out.

Reactions: sorka and Ormond