Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else tempted by new model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 7 seater MY on order but the new refreshed MX is looking tempting.

I personally strongly prefer the interior of 3/Y versus old S/X and now that’s been addressed. The horizontal screen is obviously what the latest software is optimized for now and especially in the future.

The other specs are all better than MY (range, acceleration, interior space, etc), but not price of course!

Actually I doubt the new Model S/X setup is going to be the same as 3/Y or the old S/X

When they did the the 3 they basically moved the instrument cluster content of the S/X to the left 1/3 of the smaller landscape screen in the 3/Y. And the right 2/3 was approx a small version of the huge portrait screen in the S/X.

Well they still have the cluster screen. And will they use the whole landscape screen for navigation? I doubt it. Will they duplicate what’s on the 3/Y, that wouldn’t make any sense. So it will likely be a unique layout overall.

It will be interesting to see what they do with it. And what’s shared between the 3 layouts.

Actually I doubt the new Model S/X setup is going to be the same as 3/Y or the old S/X

When they did the the 3 they basically moved the instrument cluster content of the S/X to the left 1/3 of the smaller landscape screen in the 3/Y. And the right 2/3 was approx a small version of the huge portrait screen in the S/X.

Well they still have the cluster screen. And will they use the whole landscape screen for navigation? I doubt it. Will they duplicate what’s on the 3/Y, that wouldn’t make any sense. So it will likely be a unique layout overall.

It will be interesting to see what they do with it. And what’s shared between the 3 layouts.

good point. The new ui has the best of both worlds with a very visible driver display and a bigger horizontal display that tilts.

the y/3 screen is getting crowded lately with latest software.

definitely leaning towards getting the MX and getting rid of my 2020 MYP; here are my own personal reasons:

-got my MYP last March so i have/will miss out on a lot of the things that came out for the MY since then (taillights, heated steering wheel, headlights, etc.)
-with the MX (since this is a new refresh), i don't think changes will come as fast as with the '20 MY --> '21 MY like mentioned above
-i do want the latest and greatest, but at the same time think that the rear screen will be cool for kids when i have them in the future
-i made a decent chunk from Tesla stock so why not put it towards another Tesla as a gift to myself hehe

hesitations:
-i got FSD on the MYP so sucks to have to pay for it again (wish we could xfer it if we upgraded to another Tesla within 1 year or something)
-i got XPEL ppf and XPEL tint that cost be a decent amt of money
-spent a decent amt for aftermarket upgrades already
-if i get the MX then what if i keep going down this vicious cycle again? same as when i got my MacBook Air a few months ago and then the new version was announced lol

would like to hear your guys thoughts as well :cool:

definitely leaning towards getting the MX and getting rid of my 2020 MYP; here are my own personal reasons:

-got my MYP last March so i have/will miss out on a lot of the things that came out for the MY since then (taillights, heated steering wheel, headlights, etc.)
-with the MX (since this is a new refresh), i don't think changes will come as fast as with the '20 MY --> '21 MY like mentioned above
-i do want the latest and greatest, but at the same time think that the rear screen will be cool for kids when i have them in the future
-i made a decent chunk from Tesla stock so why not put it towards another Tesla as a gift to myself hehe

hesitations:
-i got FSD on the MYP so sucks to have to pay for it again (wish we could xfer it if we upgraded to another Tesla within 1 year or something)
-if i get the MX then what if i keep going down this vicious cycle again? same as when i got my MacBook Air a few months ago and then the new version was announced lol

im in a similar situation as my ‘18 m3 loan is slightly underwater. It has FSD but as Elon said on call, it isn’t currently being valued much in marketplace because it doesn’t do much right now. The question is when will that change and by how much.

trading up to MX should end the vicious cycle for awhile at least, because it is the flagship model.

I have had both. The Y is definitely the better value (I get 80% of the X in my Y for half the price), but for those who have to have the fastest nicest toys, it's there.

I do miss some of the X toys (doors, air shocks, Palm Beach Intl Raceway and the World SUV record), but I think of it this way. I could have two Model Ys for the price of an X. And especially now when I work from home and my driving is limited. My payments at 2.25% went from $1630 to $849.27

Personal choice though.

Reactions: GOFORIT5 and msm859
If Tesla offered air suspension and black headliner on MY, I would trade my current MY in. I know you can buy aftermarket but would rather it come from the factory.

I will test drive the new x (I have only ever driven the y) when it hits showroom for shits and giggles to compare but have no plan to upgrade. The size of MY is perfect for me (no kids, and no plans to ever have any)

I have had both. The Y is definitely the better value (I get 80% of the X in my Y for half the price), but for those who have to have the fastest nicest toys, it's there.

I do miss some of the X toys (doors, air shocks, Palm Beach Intl Raceway and the World SUV record), but I think of it this way. I could have two Model Ys for the price of an X. And especially now when I work from home and my driving is limited. My payments at 2.25% went from $1630 to $849.27

Personal choice though.

I already drive an M3 so trading up to a MY would be good, but basically the same UI, etc.

As for the X, presumably a whole other level (pending future test drive). I was not interested in pre-upgrade X because I drove an MS loaner and disliked the big dashboard/vertical screen.

I have a CyberTruck on order. The new interior on the MS/MY, especially the yoke, has got me thinking about a lot of stuff. The MY is only 9 months old and I love driving it, however, it feels kinda dated now. :(

I have a 7 seater MY on order but the new refreshed MX is looking tempting.

I personally strongly prefer the interior of 3/Y versus old S/X and now that’s been addressed. The horizontal screen is obviously what the latest software is optimized for now and especially in the future.

The other specs are all better than MY (range, acceleration, interior space, etc), but not price of course!

hesitations:

We have 3 kids... so MX makes waay more sense for us... if it wasn't for that I'd keep the MY myself. Wait until you actually have kids before you get the kid mobile would be my suggestion. Theses Teslas( all varieties) are only going to get better over the next few months and years.

We have 3 kids... so MX makes waay more sense for us... if it wasn't for that I'd keep the MY myself. Wait until you actually have kids before you get the kid mobile would be my suggestion. Theses Teslas( all varieties) are only going to get better over the next few months and years.

do you think the MX is better even with 2 kids? if i get the MX I would still do a 5 seater to have even bigger cargo space. Curious to see if the falcon doors on the new MX would be better/less malfunctioning than from what I hear about current MXs

do you think the MX is better even with 2 kids? if i get the MX I would still do a 5 seater to have even bigger cargo space. Curious to see if the falcon doors on the new MX would be better/less malfunctioning than from what I hear about current MXs

Never had any problems with falcons over two Model Xs and 4 years although I never had kids hanging from them.

It's really a matter of preference. My Model Y has plenty of room for two kids and storage. It was $53,000 vs $127,000 for my Model X. Again, you could have two Model Ys for the price of an X, or get a Y and a solar roof and TESLA Battery and get off of the grid.

My wife actually likes the Model Y a little better. It seems to handle better and seems more sporty when driving. The novelty of the falcon wings wears off.

Ben Sullins and his wife do a great review genuinely pointing out the negative aspects of the X which is good to know before you commit. It is always good to know both sides.

I guess I would say I grew out of my two Model Xs and having had every model, but the Roadster, I would say the Model Y is my favorite. BTW, I do miss the Christmas dance and from the number of videos on YOUTUBE, it seems others liked it too. I think I had the first one on YOUTUBE in 2016 and the number has sure grown.

Last edited:
Falcon wing doors killed it for me. After 3 years the doors were so annoying I couldn’t wait for a normal rear door again. My son yelling from the booster seat, “Dad!!! The door hit the wall again!” Or “Dad!!! I can’t fit out the door.” Not to mention they don’t work as well as you think in the rain.

I like the new interior and luxury amenities in the new MX though.

If Tesla offered air suspension and black headliner on MY, I would trade my current MY in. I know you can buy aftermarket but would rather it come from the factory.

I will test drive the new x (I have only ever driven the y) when it hits showroom for shits and giggles to compare but have no plan to upgrade. The size of MY is perfect for me (no kids, and no plans to ever have any)

Leave your credit card at home. I had a Model 3 performance and I was sold instantly when I took a Model X for test drive.

Note: There is no status on the air suspension on the new S/X. I assume it's a website omission. And I would think it's almost a requirement for the S Plaid (lower it as much as possible on launches).

Yeah, I guess we'll all find out about FWD reliability. More space is always better imo. Hey, it sound like you're on board the MX train either way, welcome!

Yeah, I guess we'll all find out about FWD reliability. More space is always better imo. Hey, it sound like you're on board the MX train either way, welcome!

I’m the OP. I placed my MX order today! The worst case scenario is I’m out $100 if test drive isn’t what’s expected. I currently have a M3 and it’s great but I need more space.

MY is my back-up plan. I personally think they are going to hold back air suspension/hepa filter from MY for as long as possible in order to fuel X/S sales and increase ASP (which dropped in Q4). Tesla hasn’t had hardly anything on the market for way over $100K in quite some time, and they’re under pressure from Wall Street to show increasing profits, etc.

Reactions: Fairchild
I have a CyberTruck on order. The new interior on the MS/MY, especially the yoke, has got me thinking about a lot of stuff. The MY is only 9 months old and I love driving it, however, it feels kinda dated now. :(

You may want to check delivery sched for your CYBRTRK. I ordered mine Nov 13, six days after release and I am number 224,364 with estimated delivery in May of 2023.

Never had any problems with falcons over two Model Xs and 4 years although I never had kids hanging from them.

It's really a matter of preference. My Model Y has plenty of room for two kids and storage. It was $53,000 vs $127,000 for my Model X. Again, you could have two Model Ys for the price of an X, or get a Y and a solar roof and TESLA Battery and get off of the grid.

My wife actually likes the Model Y a little better. It seems to handle better and seems more sporty when driving. The novelty of the falcon wings wears off.

Ben Sullins and his wife do a great review genuinely pointing out the negative aspects of the X which is good to know before you commit. It is always good to know both sides.

I guess I would say I grew out of my two Model Xs and having had every model, but the Roadster, I would say the Model Y is my favorite. BTW, I do miss the Christmas dance and from the number of videos on YOUTUBE, it seems others liked it too. I think I had the first one on YOUTUBE in 2016 and the number has sure grown.

thank you sir! your input is very valuable; i will check out the youtube videos - perhaps i can just keep the MY for my wife and get a 2021 MYP in another color for myself once more things come out for the MY (i.e. hepa, air suspension, etc. if it ever does).

Reactions: Fairchild
Yeah I'd have to say I'm "tempted" by the X (and the S too) in that there are things I like a lot about them such as the larger 17" screen, binnacle display, speed, and style (more to S than X, sorry--the X is actually too big for my taste). However, not "tempted" in that I could justify the extra cost personally over a Y. So tempted in that there's a great wow factor (particularly now with the refresh), but not tempted enough that I'd give it any real serious consideration.

I think @Scott Fairchild hit on an important point of opportunity cost of those extra funds. Even if you can afford an X or S, are there better things you could be doing with those funds instead of spending more on a depreciating asset? (Granted, Teslas hold their value well and Elon thinks they will eventually appreciate once Robotaxis are a thing but from today's perspective, they're a depreciating asset.) Two MY could be a better spend for some people, or one plus solar and powerwall, sure. Or you could take some/all of the savings (of going Y over X) and invest it in something likely to appreciate. Or pay down your mortgage to pay it off sooner and pay less interest. Or help put one of your kids through college. Or save it for a rainy day. Or whatever.

TL;DR: yes X (and S) are very tempting but do you really need more than what a Y (or 3) provide, and what else could you do with that money to otherwise better your life?