Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else think the new Hold mode is TOO smooth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive too fast for hold to work for me. I tried it but I roll up on the car in front of me and still have to brake.

I suppose it works well for chill drivers.
I have a lead foot and drive the car hard too but LOVE the new one peddle driving with hold. I suppose I’m more used to EV’s since I’ve had a Roadster since 2012 and now the P3D. This just feels like it’s the way it should have always been to me.

I wanted to mention I've turned on Hold mode since I got it but now that it's getting colder (below 0c) I'm pretty much back to 2 pedal driving because regen is limited (showing dots) and the car just coasts! I was hoping/expecting the Hold mode to use more friction brakes but still stop the car in the same distance as it would have with full regen available.

I'm hoping they update this feature to handle cold weather better so that even in winter I'll be able to count on one pedal driving!

Reactions: Aellinsar
I wanted to mention I've turned on Hold mode since I got it but now that it's getting colder (below 0c) I'm pretty much back to 2 pedal driving because regen is limited (showing dots) and the car just coasts! I was hoping/expecting the Hold mode to use more friction brakes but still stop the car in the same distance as it would have with full regen available.

I'm hoping they update this feature to handle cold weather better so that even in winter I'll be able to count on one pedal driving!

yeah dots are showing even in AZ! (in the 40s/50s here overnight) and i don't like having to relearn the coast/friction brake routine.

Reactions: Falkirk

This for sure is a problem. Totally defeats the purpose you have to drive differently every day depending on car is warm cool or cold. And then if it's cold, it warms up as you drive so it changes. Kind of annoying..

But also, roll mode doesn't come to a stop with a light tap of the brakes anymore. Like it used it when it was the old mode. Now you have to do a hard press at every light. That's more of a hassle to me than keeping it in hold mode. As much as k love the roll mode, having to do that every light is way worse.

I really like the new one-pedal-driving mode. I like it a lot. But I've been having trouble getting used to it. In the second or so before the car comes to its incredibly smooth stop, I often have a moment of lightheadedness. I never had this when stopping with the brake pedal, and I think it has something to do with viscerally learning that the car will stop with my foot off of the accelerator, but I was wondering if anyone else was having that momentary discomfort when stopping?

I never have this feeling with TACC stopping the car, oddly. If feels strangely like the disconnected feeling I would sometimes get when playing some VR games.

Is this just me?
Hey brother! It's not just you. It took me a few to get used to it but now I love it. Some have posted how acceleration feels labored. I don't notice that at all. I used hold a lot before the update with the creep setting. The new update seems to be providing more Regen, but I haven't a lot of data yet on it. Like you, I think this is one of the better parts of the update.

• Love
Reactions: DopeGhoti
I’m still getting used to it. Here are my initial observations:

1) Backing out of the garage is a little awkward in hold mode. I used to give it a little bit of power and then let it coast in reverse so I could keep an eye on the wall to make sure I don’t clip my side mirror. Now I have to keep my foot on the accelerator the whole time which makes me a little nervous.

2) Driving up to a red light takes some getting used to. I used to ease in to the light at 2-3 mph and then tap the brakes. Now I need to drive right up to the car in front of me and then take my foot of the pedal. I tend to be reluctant to get too close so I always end up a couple of feet further behind than I intended to.

3) Driving up a hill and then stopping at a red light is very nice. No rolling backward any more.

4) Speed bumps are a blast. I drive as fast as I can right up to the bump and then quickly remove my foot from the pedal just in time for the car to slowly roll over the bump. I can drive so fast in between the bumps that they really don’t even slow me down any more. It scares the crap out of pedestrians in the parking lot though. But it’s fun to see their reaction when the car instantly stops right at the bump. Everyone thinks I’m going to fly over the bump at full speed and make a fool of myself. It’s really fun to watch.

I’m going to give it another week to get used to it and then decide which one I like better. I never used creep, so I’ll either stay on hold or go back to the normal mode.
I will have to try it and of course I know of a few speed bumps I would like to test it out on. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Hey brother! It's not just you. It took me a few to get used to it but now I love it.

Right there with you. Been using the new mode and have mostly adapted to it so I no longer have that discomfort as much any longer. I've only noticed it lately when stopping on a downhill, and it's a lot less pronounced than it was at first too. This, too, shall pass.

Some have posted how acceleration feels labored. I don't notice that at all.

Nor do I. Acceleration remains just as punchy as ever to my perspective.

Right there with you. Been using the new mode and have mostly adapted to it so I no longer have that discomfort as much any longer. I've only noticed it lately when stopping on a downhill, and it's a lot less pronounced than it was at first too. This, too, shall pass.

Nor do I. Acceleration remains just as punchy as ever to my perspective.
Absolutely, about 5% more LoL. The biggest thing I had to get used to was regen braking distance. The old set up I had coasted more freely below 6/7 MPH.
I still have an urge to tap the brakes and then find I need to feather the accelerator so I don't look stupid stopping way short. I find each time I drive it to be easier and more comfortable to use. I won't be switching from this mode, that's for sure. :cool: