Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not receiving loyalty credits and Tesla is telling me to kick rocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great question! Did not own a Tesla vehicle before, however we do have solar formerly Solar City now Tesla. The person I referred did not own any Tesla product prior either.
Yup so in that case all you get is the loyalty bonus for your own purchase. You are already in the “Tesla family” so your friend doesn’t get anything.

You get the $500 discount and 3 month FSD trial.

Situation 2 should be a normal referral if the person who used your code has no Tesla products.

Yup so in that case all you get is the loyalty bonus for your own purchase. You are already in the “Tesla family” so your friend doesn’t get anything.

You get the $500 discount and 3 month FSD trial.

Situation 2 should be a normal referral if the person who used your code has no Tesla products.
Thanks for the insight! Yes this makes perfect sense. Now let's wait and see the final results for situation 2 from Tesla team. I'll update soon.

I'm in a similar situation as #2. Referred a friend (not previous tesla owner) who bought a m3 using my link. zero referral rewards, and no answer from anywhere. Even the location he bought it from has no one answering the phone and a voicemail that's full :rolleyes:. I'd like to get another charge cable, but seriously wondering if their going in plan with this is to not make it worth your time to follow up on referral awards.

I'm in a similar situation as #2. Referred a friend (not previous tesla owner) who bought a m3 using my link. zero referral rewards, and no answer from anywhere. Even the location he bought it from has no one answering the phone and a voicemail that's full :rolleyes:. I'd like to get another charge cable, but seriously wondering if their going in plan with this is to not make it worth your time to follow up on referral awards.
This makes me wonder if this is more common then we think. Most folks (buyers) are happy they received their discount, those who referred are left in the dust. I'm still waiting to hear back. Also hoping to secure more referrals to test what could have caused this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: NotForResale
This makes me wonder if this is more common then we think. Most folks (buyers) are happy they received their discount, those who referred are left in the dust. I'm still waiting to hear back. Also hoping to secure more referrals to test what could have caused this issue.
Tesla is adding to the confusion. I self-referred, not realizing they had changed everything around and it was pointless. But when I look at the breakdown of the purchase price (see below) I see that I got a $500 "Referral Credit". But, of course, I didn't. What I got was a "Loyalty Benefit" and I won't get anything else for doing the referral.

referral_pic.png

And the sales guy I was talking to called it a referral credit, deepening my confusion. I had expected to get all three (referral buyer, seller. and loyalty), not having noticed that they had changed everything around. So when I asked, saying I saw my referral credit, but where was the loyalty thing, it was not well handled. "That is the loyalty credit. You don't get both." "Then why does it say it's the referral credit?" Ignores the question.

All that said, this approach makes more sense. But Tesla is hurting themselves by setting expectations wrong and generating further confusion to no purpose.

In addition I can't tell some things at all. Is somebody who has set up a Tesla account in order to have their settings in the cloud no longer eligible for a referral? How about if they set up an account to be an extra driver on somebody else's car? How about somebody who co-owns a car but has never set up an account? It's not clear to me if these are already members of the family and so can't be referred, or are (as they indeed are) people who've never owned a Tesla product and thus can be referred. I suppose one possible check is whether they have their own referral code (obviously the last co-owner case wouldn't).

I had expected to get all three (referral buyer, seller. and loyalty), not having noticed that they had changed everything around.
What do you mean they “changed everything around”?

You’ve never been able to claim all three. The loyalty benefit for existing owners instead of the referral credit has been around for quite some time. The description explaining these programs seemed pretty clear to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
What do you mean they “changed everything around”?

You’ve never been able to claim all three. The loyalty benefit for existing owners instead of the referral credit has been around for quite some time. The description explaining these programs seemed pretty clear to me.
They changed everything around when the added the loyalty credit a few months ago. I never saw a detailed description of the program, although it does exist. I foolishly assumed that they had just added something new. Instead they effectively eliminated self-referrals, and made referrals meaningful only if they lead to a purchase by a new to Tesla customer. As I said, I think the new way makes more sense, but I hadn't noticed that it had substantially changed.

I suppose one possible check is whether they have their own referral code (obviously the last co-owner case wouldn't).
No that doesn't work either. I heard a caller to the Ride the Lightning podcast today talk about using her referral code. She owns no Tesla product but has a Cybertruck reservation. So here's the obvious question: if she self-refers and buys a Model Y now does she get the referral bonus + the Tesla points for the referral of a new customer, or does she just get the loyalty benefit? It should be the referral bonus + the points, but I could see it likely confusing the hell of out the Tesla system.

No that doesn't work either. I heard a caller to the Ride the Lightning podcast today talk about using her referral code. She owns no Tesla product but has a Cybertruck reservation. So here's the obvious question: if she self-refers and buys a Model Y now does she get the referral bonus + the Tesla points for the referral of a new customer, or does she just get the loyalty benefit? It should be the referral bonus + the points, but I could see it likely confusing the hell of out the Tesla system.
If you already have a Tesla account and order a product with the same account/email address, you get the loyalty credit. That’s it.

I’m sure Tesla’s stance is that a reservation on another product means you’re already in the ecosystem.

I've answered your question.

I don't think that points are available for self-purchases.
Although I see that someone disagreed with your point, that is exactly what Tesla told my wife when she bought a MYLR last month. No self credits for a second car we buy, but she did get $500 off from using a referral by our friend.

And the interesting thing is that our friend did not get the 10,000 credits for the referral because Tesla said he doesn't get referral credits for the SECOND car that we buy; only for the first one!

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I received my name shot into space and early adopter status with Tesla. I will get my FSD beta V12 one stack no onions, before all you folks getting to the game five years late.
Also, they filled my tires with 80% nitrogen gas, yes Free

Elon will supply Free supercharging forever. "leave your wallet at home" Kickstarter Elon

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I received my name shot into space and early adopter status with Tesla. I will get my FSD beta V12 one stack no onions, before all you folks getting to the game five years late.
Also, they filled my tires with 80% nitrogen gas, yes Free

Elon will supply Free supercharging forever. "leave your wallet at home" Kickstarter Elon

Funny, I remember seeing that long ago. In some very tiny way, he was correct for me. I receive free supercharging forever. Oh wait, only on that car as long as I don't sell it or die in it. :)

Anyone know how long it takes to receive referral credits? Friend has accepted delivery already but I still don’t see anything in my app. For those who have referred someone, when did you see the credits added?

Near immediately. It shows as "Pending" when they place their order, then you get the credits the day of pickup.

I'd say your friend didn't use your referral link. Perhaps they forgot, or they clicked it, but then went browsing the web and got caught by an ad with malicious JavaScript that injected someone else's referral code. Someone has already found many of these are happening through malicious ads.

Tesla's not going to correct this. It's too late. Did your friend get the $500 discount? That's how you can confirm if they used one at all. And if it's not in your account, it wasn't yours.

Near immediately. It shows as "Pending" when they place their order, then you get the credits the day of pickup.

I'd say your friend didn't use your referral link. Perhaps they forgot, or they clicked it, but then went browsing the web and got caught by an ad with malicious JavaScript that injected someone else's referral code. Someone has already found many of these are happening through malicious ads.

Tesla's not going to correct this. It's too late. Did your friend get the $500 discount? That's how you can confirm if they used one at all. And if it's not in your account, it wasn't yours.
Thanks for the info. Yes, they did get the $500 discount but I never received anything in my app. This is their first Tesla product so it wouldn’t have been disqualified for that reason either.

Seems like this is a not uncommon issue based on this thread. Frustrating.

Situation 2:
We reached out to the facility by buddy picked up his car. He managed to connect with Tesla Team to confirm I was the person who referred him. (Confirmed) He was told to wait 3-4 weeks for an update. Currently pending.
Any updates on this?

Also does anyone know whether there is a place on the purchase documents or in the app of the referee which shows who the referrer was? Or is contacting Tesla the only way to verify the referrer was correct?

Interesting. My experience was same day / immediate. The purchaser told me they made the purchase and the app showed my pending credit right away.

Then they told me their delivery was like "Thursday at 2pm" and I have the actual referral credits in my account Thursday evening.

My purchase two months ago was the same: my co-worker gave me his code, I provided it when I ordered and received the $500 discount, and my referral buddy received their credit the same day I took delivery a few days later. No issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: NotForResale

So you were right about this. My friend called Tesla and the referral used was from some random person. Even though my friend used my link and saw “NotForResale’s Referral” when he went to buy the car, he did say that on previous days when browsing inventory he kept seeing random referrals getting applied.

Turns out even though he used my link and saw my name when going to make the final purchase, someone else’s referral ending up getting used instead.

Very frustrating as these criminals are robbing people out of around $500 every time they succeed.