TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone else worried about getting a car being made this week?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Mar 29, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

So with the crazy push I'm sure Tesla is making to minimize the end of Q1 weekly production rate shortage, I suspect that quality is suffering on the cars being made right now and through the weekend. My car is configured and I am waiting for the VIN, but as impatient as I have been I really hope that my car is made after this week's push.... Anyone else feel like this?

• Like x 3
  2. kwest2

kwest2 Member

Crossed my mind too as a 2/25 configurator.

• Like x 1
  3. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

That is similar to the "I don't want a car made on a Friday" or "I don't want a car made by 3rd shift" argument.

While these arguments stem from legitimate concerns, I haven't seen a single factual piece of information that indicates that a car made at a particular time/day/event is built worse than any other one.

Ultimately the car is going to get QC checked at the factory before it is loaded for transport, and any glaring problems get fixed then. If the car somehow arrives at the Tesla delivery center still in need of rework then the delivery center would hold the car for delivery until that stuff got sorted out or work out some kind of arrangement with the soon to be new owner.

• Like x 4
  4. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

<log into Tesla.com>
    <click manage>
    <see "You'll be invited to configure...">

No :(

• Funny x 9
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

And with a *lot* of work being done by the SC, anyway, who would care? It's not like normal dealers where they seem to not be able to do anything and the factory does all the work (and you want it to come in 'perfect'). With Tesla, they are as capable as the factory. Take that for what it's worth. :D

6. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. I would definitely not want a car built this week. It seems like there is a lot of variation in build quality and it sounds like they're trying to double the production rate this week. Who would want a car assembled at a service center? There's only so much they can do.
    I agree that the whole Friday thing is probably a myth but it is a fact that they're trying to do a massive increase in production this week. Does anyone really believe that they would pushing like this if it wasn't the last week of the quarter?

• Like x 1
  7. DMack

DMack Member

You can definitely tell judging by my delivery experience, the state of my vehicle and the number of cars parked in the service bay at my SC.

8. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

Worse than the ones made the day after the super bowl? :)

9. wwu123

wwu123 Member

A lot of the quality issues or defective parts seem to be consistent across an entire run, e.g. sunken hood on my Model 3, yellowing touchscreen batch on my Model S. So a good chunk of that is not going to be due to harried workers performing variably good/bad work from vehicle to vehicle.

10. Warrentt

Warrentt Member

The only advantage about not being invited or waiting for AWD is TESLA will have plenty of time to cleanup the early production defects/issues and have more parts (brake pads) available by the time I get the car.