Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone experiencing dark view on the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else finds it more difficult to see esp. at night thru the back window ..it seems very dark and finding I'm guiding myself thru the side mirrors..which are not the best way. Also has anyone have an explanation as to why the side mirrors are not exactly alike in distance display? one is a close up view and magnified and other seems to be more reflective of real time distance??

Also has anyone have an explanation as to why the side mirrors are not exactly alike in distance display? one is a close up view and magnified and other seems to be more reflective of real time distance??

Because the FMVSS rules require that the drivers side be a flat mirror while the passenger side mirror can be curved to have a wider field of view.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
The third icon along the bottom of the center touchscreen is the "App Launcher."
Touch the App Launcher, then the third third icon on the new row to open the Rear Camera.
It should stay on screen while driving forward as well as backing up.

The third icon along the bottom of the center touchscreen is the "App Launcher."
Touch the App Launcher, then the third third icon on the new row to open the Rear Camera.
It should stay on screen while driving forward as well as backing up.
I just tried it..you r correct it does stay on in reverse & forward but I want the view to be the forward view when In Drive...:(

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone else finds it more difficult to see esp. at night thru the back window ..it seems very dark and finding I'm guiding myself thru the side mirrors..which are not the best way. Also has anyone have an explanation as to why the side mirrors are not exactly alike in distance display? one is a close up view and magnified and other seems to be more reflective of real time distance??

I find it pretty dark too. In fact I had the rear Tesla sunscreen for my Model 3 and liked it so much I ordered one for the X. I could not see a freaken thing out the rearview mirror with the Sunscreen, it was SOLID BLACK. I had to return it.

It's very "tinted" looking through the rearview during daylight hours but I can see everything. At night all I can see are headlights. So it's ok, I guess. Very odd though.

I sometimes wonder if the auto dimming rearview mirror is not working correctly. But I think it's the heavy tint on the back window. Check out the review mirror with the hatch open. It looks completely normal.

• Informative
Reactions: jerseygirl18