Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone fitted a charge port light?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm always sceptical of solar-powered lights. In winter (when you need them the most). In the UK. ;)

You and me both. This is a 2 screw “quick fix”. That’s why I reckon it’ll only last a year. Gonna try the “easter egg” ten press trick tonight whilst I’m waiting 2 days to charge the solar light. Of course this is only a solution if you have the Tesla “Wall Connector”.

You and me both. That’s why I reckon it’ll only last a year. Gonna try the “easter egg” ten press trick tonight whilst I’m waiting 2 days to charge the solar light. Of course this is only a solution if you have the Tesla “Wall Connector”.
If your solar intensity is anything like my current one, I doubt 2 days will do the trick. My solar array hasn't even kicked in yet!

If your solar intensity is anything like my current one, I doubt 2 days will do the trick. My solar array hasn't even kicked in yet!

yep. Agree. There was some charge in it when purchased. But today; overcast and raining not ideal. The light comes on for 30 seconds when motion is detected near the charge port/ bin area in the PIR only mode, which means usage will be minimal. Eventually I guess it’ll get replace with a hard wired one but I’ll give it a while to see how it performs!
My solar is kicking out a whopping 200w right now at midday but it did start about 07:35 with 1watt. Peak so far 340w 😆

I’m sure the Cheapo Chinese security light won’t even of charged at all today !

I was actually surprised to find that my solar security lights are still working fine and have been operating perfectly summer and winter for a few years now! I bought a pack of 4 even though I only use 2 because I expected them to die once the first winter kicked in … so I’ve still got the 2 spares in the cupboard unused! Believe it or not they’ve been in use since January 2021 (they already had enough charge to start them off so even worked despite starting off at the darkest time of the year… in southern Scotland. )

Reactions: Pete UK
I was actually surprised to find that my solar security lights are still working fine and have been operating perfectly summer and winter for a few years now! I bought a pack of 4 even though I only use 2 because I expected them to die once the first winter kicked in … so I’ve still got the 2 spares in the cupboard unused! Believe it or not they’ve been in use since January 2021 (they already had enough charge to start them off so even worked despite starting off at the darkest time of the year… in southern Scotland. )
I can believe it, I know I have a Ring camera charged by a small panel and it never has any issue with even the depths of winter. It does help that it's on the South side of my house, I imagine the North side wouldn't work nearly as well (as it would be on the wall in shadow)

I can believe it, I know I have a Ring camera charged by a small panel and it never has any issue with even the depths of winter. It does help that it's on the South side of my house, I imagine the North side wouldn't work nearly as well (as it would be on the wall in shadow)

my arlo in the garden (south) is at 97% still and my north facing one is at 67% (although I ran the solar panel around the corner to face south but its in a passageway so doubt it gets much benefit from that).

motion controlled solar lights if you don’t trigger them that often are probably fine, so it’ll be a case of ‘your mileage will vary’ based on how often they’re triggered. Even north facing they’ll be getting ambient light

Reactions: Pete UK

Good to know. I think mine would be useless in the mode where the light stays on dim all night and bright with movement. But the mode where it only comes on for 30 seconds should be good all year round as well. 💪🏼

Switched mine on last night (impatient !)

Worked great (one day in 😂). Except obviously the setting 1) and setting 2) switch works in reverse 🤷🏼‍♂️

Good to know. I think mine would be useless in the mode where the light stays on dim all night and bright with movement. But the mode where it only comes on for 30 seconds should be good all year round as well. 💪🏼

Switched mine on last night (impatient !)

Worked great (one day in 😂). Except obviously the setting 1) and setting 2) switch works in reverse 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yes, mine are only set to come on for a short while when triggered. Mind you they do get triggered a few times through the evening due to some passing traffic. I would never expect solar lights to last long in continuous operation in the winter… but that’s not what I need anyway.