Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone go to 18" wheel and tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at ordering a Model Y soon. I personally don't like big rims. Anything over 18" to me are big rims as I started driving in 1982 and 16" rims were considered big. 😆

Has anyone with a Model Y put 18" rims and tires? If so what size did you use? How is the ride?

Reactions: Skavatar
Looking at ordering a Model Y soon. I personally don't like big rims. Anything over 18" to me are big rims as I started driving in 1982 and 16" rims were considered big. 😆

Has anyone with a Model Y put 18" rims and tires? If so what size did you use? How is the ride?
you will find several threads here going thru this ad nauseam.

I have both for my MYLR.
18" M3 Aero Wheels with BFG 255/50/18 Trail Terrain for my off-road excursions.
19" Gemini with the Conti OEM tires 255/45/19 for running around
NO SUSPENSION CHANGES from stock, which matters if you start looking at larger diameter tires.

the 18" have more sidewall and are marginally smoother. It's not a huge difference but it's there.
the OEM tires are stiff (ie not as comopliant, perhaps designed for efficient rolling). Aftermarket Conti RX's that I've borrowed are definitely smoother than the OEM Conti's.

I went with FastEV EV01 18s.
Michelin primacy touring. 235 60.

The rims are rated for a model 3. I won’t ever be towing. Only 715kg load rating vs the required 750kg.
Tires were chosen for maximum comfort. These tires did add .5 inch to ride height.

Attachments

• FACB52B0-80DA-4A2F-8F18-E111B99125BC.jpeg
    FACB52B0-80DA-4A2F-8F18-E111B99125BC.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 196
I went with FastEV EV01 18s.
Michelin primacy touring. 235 60.

The rims are rated for a model 3. I won’t ever be towing. Only 715kg load rating vs the required 750kg.
Tires were chosen for maximum comfort. These tires did add .5 inch to ride height.
I have been eyeing these, and even reached out and they said they would update the offset to match the y. Is that the route you went? Would you do it again

I have been eyeing these, and even reached out and they said they would update the offset to match the y. Is that the route you went? Would you do it again
I went with wheels for a model 3.
That’s what I found used locally.
Got them cheap.
The other option was newer used Aeros which have the correct load rating for model y.
I’d do it again without a doubt!

Edit
I take that back.
I will probably go with 235 55 next time just because the 60 added .5 inch to ride height and it makes the car feel a bit floaty. I occasionaly enjoy high speed turns, but definitely not tracking the car with this setup!
I am adding Tein shocks, eibach springs soon. Maybe even eibach sway bars.

Last edited:
Reactions: imperialhippy
I went with wheels for a model 3.
That’s what I found used locally.
Got them cheap.
The other option was newer used Aeros which have the correct load rating for model y.
I’d do it again without a doubt!

Edit
I take that back.
I will probably go with 235 55 next time just because the 60 added .5 inch to ride height and it makes the car feel a bit floaty. I occasionaly enjoy high speed turns, but definitely not tracking the car with this setup!
I am adding Tein shocks, eibach springs soon. Maybe even eibach sway bars.
Interesting take on the floaty feeling. I have some this on my 235/55R18 winter tires (Hakka R3 SUVs). 45 psi makes that feeling go away/acceptable.

Why were you running 38 psi versus the 42 psi shown on door jam sticker? Is there a performance or ride quality difference?
Just a FYI. Your door jam sticker doesn’t show 42 psi for R18 tires.
It shows 42 psi for the OE equipped tire, and the MYLR doesn’t come with 18” wheels.
So you have to figure out (or read from others) what PSI to run.