Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is There a Post Concisely Discussing 18" Rim Options/Requirements for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As post says, looking for concise answers on 18" rims on Model Y, ideally including other OEM Mfg rims that would work.

Things reasonably obvious from reference threads (below), and other places.

Size:
18" x 7-8" (depending on rash protection, tire width desire)

Tire Options:
245/55R18 (Goes faster than speedometer. At 78mph the stock tires show 77, this would show 78.59). Rim could be from 7" to 8" rim.
235/55F18 (Goes faster than speedometer. At 78mph the stock tires show 77, this would show 77.38. Should use a 7" or 7.5" rim.

Bolt Pattern:
5x114.3mm with 14mm concentric bolt holes

Center bore:
64.1mm or more

Offset: (ET)
30-40 offset

Rim Weight/Load Rating:
1543Lbs, or user derating of available GAWR

TPMS Required:
Bluetooth. Std on M3 after October '20, amy MY

MY Compatibility:
All MY except some MYP. For MYP some rims on some MYP fit, others don't. Care needed.

Unclear:
  1. Is the MY hubcentric? If so, what size?
  2. Are hubsentric adapters commonly available for MY if needed?
  3. What other factory OEM rims, EG: Mustang, meet requirements?
  4. What aftermarket TPMS sensors are reliable?
  5. Are factory lugnuts somehow inadequate?
  6. Is bolt/nut concentrity angle known (eg: 60 degrees)
  7. Does any 3r party (Enkei, TSportline, Replika, etc) make aerodynamic covers, and or rims that accept Tesla Aero covers?
  8. I've seen some 3rd party rims weather and pit badly after a few winters. I've never seen an OEM factory rim do that. What 3rd party rims are cost effective yet reasonable quality?

Reference Threads:

Thanks for anybody that can add to the Unclear parts!

-d

Reactions: t-mo and 455dan
Anybody?

BTW, I went and tested my MYLR speedometer. I'm consistently 1mph under GPS reported speeds. Not a percentage, seemingly I have a 1 mph offset (I tested at 40mph, 60, 70, 80, and 85).

Given that, for me, the 245/55R18 would be the best tire choice. Still 10mm more narrow than stock, but quite a bit more sidewall height. At a actual 78mph I'm only going an actual 78.59mph. At an actual 55mph I'm reporting 55.14, so.. I hope for somewhat better range, but my primary goal is better ride, while my "next wished for" is more sidewall. On a 245 I might even be able to use an 8.5" wide rim..

Anybody mount this size on a Tesla Aero rim and measure "curb rash" protection offered?

Last edited:
Anybody?

BTW, I went and tested my MYLR speedometer. I'm consistently 1mph under GPS reported speeds. Not a percentage, seemingly I have a 1 mph offset (I tested at 40mph, 60, 70, 80, and 85).

Given that, for me, the 245/55R18 would be the best tire choice. Still 10mm more narrow than stock, but quite a bit more sidewall height. At a actual 78mph I'm only going an actual 78.59mph. At an actual 55mph I'm reporting 55.14, so.. I hope for somewhat better range, but my primary goal is better ride, while my "next wished for" is more sidewall. On a 245 I might even be able to use an 8.5" wide rim..

Anybody mount this size on a Tesla Aero rim and measure "curb rash" protection offered?

Answering my own question: Math says the 245/55R18 on Aero's would deliver 7.5mm additional curb rash protection, just under 5/16" per side. Is that enough? Probably depends on the tire's sidewall design, as "245" is the tread width, not sidewall bulge, if any.

Answering my own question: Math says the 245/55R18 on Aero's would deliver 7.5mm additional curb rash protection, just under 5/16" per side. Is that enough? Probably depends on the tire's sidewall design, as "245" is the tread width, not sidewall bulge, if any.
245 isn't tread width, it's "section" width, which is basically the bulge (minus "decorations") as per Discount Tires. The actual tread width would be even less.

As for protection from curb rash...

Here is my 255/45/19 on 19x8 aftermarket wheels.

20230304_160206.jpg

The tire is 10" wide (if measured on 8.5" wheel, so it's slightly narrower on 8" wheel) at its widest point. And while the wheel is "only" 8" wide, that's measured at where the tire bead sits, not where the lip (and maybe spokes) stick out, so that probably tacks on another 1/4-1/2".

Doesn't look like much to me... not sure you're gonna get that 5/16" on a 1/2" wider wheel with 10 mm narrower tires.

Have you seen this?

Hopefully forum member Tangible1 will weigh in on this...or...do a search and find his threads on the subject. He's been there, done that!

You should also check odometer using mile markers on the road, preferably a somewhat straight road. Before GPS, I'd drive 60 mph and see how long it would take to drive 2 miles, then bump my speed up or down to get 60s between markers and test again. You could do it at faster speeds, but then the math gets harder.

Model 3 wheels with 255/55r18s

Americas Tires would not mount them to the car, they kept saying it was going to rub. All the tech and the manager focused on was how much the tire was wider than the rim. The don’t teach them about offset I’m guessing.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-04-10-175633.jpeg
    IMG_2024-04-10-175633.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2024-04-10-175707.jpeg
    IMG_2024-04-10-175707.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2024-04-10-175730.jpeg
    IMG_2024-04-10-175730.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: BroncoAZ
I like this definitive answer. Now, what is the best wheel offset for that tire size? And wheel width?
Rim width range for 255/55R18 is 7"-9"
Best offset is about +35. Stock is +29 in front on a 9.5" rim, and adding a half inch to the tire diameter puts it awful close to the UCA. Ive got 18x9.5" rims with +29 offset which slightly pokes the wheel out beyond the fender. I wish the wheels came in a 8.5" with a +35 or 40, which would have been perfect.

Reactions: FumelessCamper
I like this definitive answer. Now, what is the best wheel offset for that tire size? And wheel width?
Most people use 18x8.5 +35 or +40 (Model 3 Aero wheels).

As it relates to Model 3 Aero wheels, make sure you get the "gen 2" wheels that have a higher 750kg load rating. The original Aero wheels are below the required load spec.

Generally, when it comes to 18" wheels for Model Y, finding a set that is 750kg load rated or higher is the limiting factor.

Reactions: EVChris
Rim width range for 255/55R18 is 7"-9"
Best offset is about +35. Stock is +29 in front on a 9.5" rim, and adding a half inch to the tire diameter puts it awful close to the UCA. Ive got 18x9.5" rims with +29 offset which slightly pokes the wheel out beyond the fender. I wish the wheels came in a 8.5" with a +35 or 40, which would have been perfect.
Correction: stock offset is +45 (19" and 20" wheels), +40 (21" front) +48 (21" rear)

NZ Tesla CS told me anything other than the stock configuration would be considered "aftermarket parts", even their own wheels, in the event of warranty claim on anything connected to the wheels by something else that moves aka steering suspension and even drive unit. Given what I have seen with US warranties being denied after aftermarket wheels being fitted I elected to stay stock sizing.

I am simply not paying the big bucks for a new vehicle and flushing my warranty!

What Tesla should be doing is selling an Overlander Y with a lifted suspension and slightly bigger tyres. This would open up the AT tyre versions that are never going to exist in the sport sedan near rubber band sizing that the standard rims wear.

And put the race track one wheel braking on it for crying out loud, but limit it to 30mph. Not rocket science.

If they did that Subaru and Audi would do a starve.

You see Audis in the ditch up ski field roads. The Haldex ain't that great.

A good set of tyres and faux LSD front and back would make the Y pretty unstoppable.

Reactions: FumelessCamper