Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Having Trouble Getting Delivery After Q1 (March 31)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a P3D on Mar 11th. Completed all fill in the blanks by the 14th. All shows good and ready for a VIn and contract paperwork but no response.
No response from my delivery person or the delivery site requesting a realistic delivery date range not the listed “2 weeks”.
Maybe an actual return email, text or phone call to a cash paying, no messy trade in, $75k customer who’s just trying to buy a maxed out profit model 3 would be in order???

They usually don’t respond to “when will my car be ready” emails because they don’t know and they are too busy dealing with cars that are ready to be delivered. I agree the lack of response is disappointing though but unfortunately it’s the norm for Tesla. Even when you call them on the phone you rarely get a live person, and sometimes you can’t even leave a message because their voicemail box is full.

This is in line with my Tesla purchasing experience as well. It was a nightmare to get anyone to respond. Full voicemails, ignored emails, etc. The only reason my deal got done was my local gallery guy worked hard for me. Otherwise, I'd be Tesla-less right now.

Tesla's back office is a total sh!t show. I've railed against them elsewhere, but honestly, they look like clowns. I've purchased a fair number of cars in my life, and this was by far, the worst and most difficult purchase. Well, maybe when I had my two little kids in the F&I guy's office and he kept trying to get me to buy protection packages, lol.

I thought ordering online was supposed to be easier? Can you hear my eyes rolling from here?

Fantastic news!! You’re gonna beat me to it. I’m setup for next Friday. Got all the lending paperwork done today and my electrician lined up to install the wall connector next Friday too. Can’t wait to see your photos!

I will be posting them. Can't wait to see yours too!

My Nema 14-50 install won't be until late June, so you'll definitely be getting your's in first there! I'll be running off of 110 for a while and using the local superchargers in our town.

My Nema 14-50 install won't be until late June, so you'll definitely be getting your's in first there! I'll be running off of 110 for a while and using the local superchargers in our town.

Don't overlook public Level 2 EVSEs. You can use PlugShare or other apps or Web sites to locate them. In my area, there are several free Level 2 EVSEs, and some of them are in places where I often park for an hour or more -- at malls, movie theaters, parks, and so on. Most of these are J1772 EVSEs, but all Teslas come with an adapter, so that's not a problem.

Don't overlook public Level 2 EVSEs. You can use PlugShare or other apps or Web sites to locate them. In my area, there are several free Level 2 EVSEs, and some of them are in places where I often park for an hour or more -- at malls, movie theaters, parks, and so on. Most of these are J1772 EVSEs, but all Teslas come with an adapter, so that's not a problem.

Thanks! I need to learn more about these. How fast do the J1772's charge?

Thanks! I need to learn more about these. How fast do the J1772's charge?

Most public J1772s are ~220v x 32A or thereabouts, so ~7kWh. IIRC, that typically works out to something like 25 or 30mph. That's about the same as you'll get from Tesla's portable EVSE on a 220v line in your house. It's far from Supercharger speed, but if you're going to see a movie or spend an afternoon in a park or something, it can add up to significant range. (Consider that the average driver drives something like 30 or 35 miles in a day, so about an hour's charging at one of these public stations will more-or-less cover that.) It's not worth the bother if you're just popping into the grocery store to get a gallon of milk, though.

Reactions: Whoster69
Most public J1772s are ~220v x 32A or thereabouts, so ~7kWh. IIRC, that typically works out to something like 25 or 30mph. That's about the same as you'll get from Tesla's portable EVSE on a 220v line in your house. It's far from Supercharger speed, but if you're going to see a movie or spend an afternoon in a park or something, it can add up to significant range. (Consider that the average driver drives something like 30 or 35 miles in a day, so about an hour's charging at one of these public stations will more-or-less cover that.) It's not worth the bother if you're just popping into the grocery store to get a gallon of milk, though.

Thank you srs5694. Good to know.

Well, here is a strange thing. I called the San Francisco delivery center (about 20 times before I got through). The person I talked to was very nice and answered all my questions but there were a few oddities. First, she told me that they don't normally update the cars to the latest version of the software. I asked her if they would do this and she said they would. I thought they did do this normally. Second, I asked if there was anything we still needed to do and she said everything was in order, so I asked if our loan was taken care of. She asked me if I had downloaded the motor vehicle purchase agreement, printed it and signed it and sent it to our bank. This was the first I had heard that we needed to do that. If I hadn't brought it up, it wouldn't have been taken care of! After talking to her, I took care of that with our bank in a couple of hours, but I thought that was pretty odd that no one told us we needed to do this.

We were told our model 3 is at the delivery center. According to the purchase agreement, it has 50 miles on it. Is this just a standard number they put in, or the actual mileage and is that a normal amount for a new car?

We are still on track for picking it up tomorrow.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Well, here is a strange thing. I called the San Francisco delivery center (about 20 times before I got through). The person I talked to was very nice and answered all my questions but there were a few oddities. First, she told me that they don't normally update the cars to the latest version of the software. I asked her if they would do this and she said they would. I thought they did do this normally. Second, I asked if there was anything we still needed to do and she said everything was in order, so I asked if our loan was taken care of. She asked me if I had downloaded the motor vehicle purchase agreement, printed it and signed it and sent it to our bank. This was the first I had heard that we needed to do that. If I hadn't brought it up, it wouldn't have been taken care of! After talking to her, I took care of that with our bank in a couple of hours, but I thought that was pretty odd that no one told us we needed to do this.

We were told our model 3 is at the delivery center. According to the purchase agreement, it has 50 miles on it. Is this just a standard number they put in, or the actual mileage and is that a normal amount for a new car?

We are still on track for picking it up tomorrow.

Congratulations on your purchase! Did you finance thru Tesla or on your own?

I arranged my own, and the credit union told me exactly what they needed, all done via email. So simple - thankfully Tesla’s MVPA is easy to read and had everything we needed on it already.

The mileage is normal; they always put 50. It’s likely much less but that covers them if they move it around the lot etc.

Congrats again! I pick mine up Friday - can’t wait. Actually flying with my son today to San Fran for a quick spring break getaway. Rented a Model 3 via Turo for the next 2 days just to tide me over ... LOL.

First, she told me that they don't normally update the cars to the latest version of the software. I asked her if they would do this and she said they would. I thought they did do this normally.

Doing so is more work for the delivery center, and as the cars update by themselves sooner or later (probably sooner), I'm not surprised that they don't do this. FWIW, when I took delivery of mine (on March 30), it had 2019.5.15, which was not then the latest -- the latest was definitely 2019.8.x, at least, at that time. Two or three days later, it updated to 2019.8.4. That happened before I was able to drive anywhere, since my delivery was in Rhode Island, which has no Tesla stores, so it was a home delivery and I had to go to the DMV to get plates for the car. About two days after the update to 2019.8.4, it updated to 2019.8.5. It hasn't gone higher since then, but of course it will, eventually, short of a disaster.

According to the purchase agreement, it has 50 miles on it. Is this just a standard number they put in, or the actual mileage and is that a normal amount for a new car?

Yes, it's standard. Most have about 5 miles, if you pick up at the store, judging by accounts I've seen here. Mine had 45 miles on it when I got it, because a Tesla employee drove it to my house from the Dedham store, which is about 35 miles away.

I ordered my Model 3 Performance on April 3rd, still no VIN, no contact, just the “we are drafting up your contract” message when I login. It’s too bad they still have the delivery timeframe “within 2 weeks” on their website. Just have to hurry up and wait I suppose.

I ordered my Model 3 Performance on April 3rd, still no VIN, no contact, just the “we are drafting up your contract” message when I login. It’s too bad they still have the delivery timeframe “within 2 weeks” on their website. Just have to hurry up and wait I suppose.

When I asked about the "within 2 weeks" message, they said it was standard and to ignore it. If it isn't accurate, why have it? It only creates more calls which disrupts employees from doing what they need to do. Having to call in 40 times to get someone to answer the phone with the voicemailbox always being full doesn't help things either.

Telsa really badly needs to streamline their delivery process.