Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here pick up a CPO Model S while waiting but still planning on getting a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure did. Bought our 2013 Model S in 2015, a year before Model 3 reveal. Did so precisely because I couldn't wait for the more "affordable" Model 3. Meanwhile, saved $4K in fuel over the two years of ownership, and it's looking like the Model 3 I would spec is going to actually be more expensive than the CPO Model S we bought two years ago!

Get in now if you can afford it, and the Model S (or X) fits your garage/lifestyle.

Bought a 2014 Model S P85 because I don't want to wait another 2-4 years for a Model 3. I figure i'll give Tesla time to work out the kinks on the Model 3, make some mileage money off my Model S, and then trade "up" to a Model 3 or a Model S P100DL in 4 years.

I stood in like and made 2 reservations, have current delivery window of Jan-March after being pushed back a month. I took a chance about a month ago to stop by a Tesla store with my wife to see if I would catch sight of a model 3.

We got lucky and there was a black model 3 there. Unfortunately my wife was underwhelmed and said she liked the S better. I was disappointed because I thought it looked great and was ready to buy a fully optioned LR model asap.

We went back and forth for a week then decided to buy a new model X 75d which after switching to an inventory build to insure the tax credit we pick up this Saturday.

We stopped by the store again about a week later to look at colors for a potential switch to an inventory X and we saw a couple more model 3s, this time in the daylight. My wife then proceeds to say she actually likes it! First one we saw was in the dark and it was black with tired windows (vin 422 I believe).

All I could do was laugh, we spent 35k more for a lower optioned model X! I'm fine with our decision after coming to terms with the cost, I've got a bad back and getting in and out of the X will be much easier.

Point of the Storey? No idea. I love the 3 and only canceled one of my 2 reservations just in case. You never know, could be a 2 Tesla family soon!

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
@sub The point of your story could be: don't trust your wife's judgements too quickly. ;)

Agree. We had a bit of a time constraint also because my daughter gets her license this month and we would be one car short waiting for our model 3. If Price was no issue, the model X is the vehicle we would want but we are cheap and haven't had a car payment in 12-15 years. Oh well. I tend to always pay things off early, our last loan was for 5 years and I paid it off in 6 months.

Well it’s happening....
My bridge car isn’t going to make it!
My ‘05 S40i with 145k miles on it is giving me signs that March-April is NOT going to happen without costs.
My state inspection is March and at the very least I would need to get tires in order to make it.
So now what?
I’m soooo tired of waiting. I’m weakened...been wanting the 3 for well over a decade but I’m sure I could spend a few good years in a 2013-14 Model S.
I guess I could rent a car for 3months but that’s also sunken costs. A dilemma.

It's crazy. There are only 11 CPO Model S cars available from Tesla at the time of this writing. I think a lot of people got tired of waiting for the Model 3 and ponied up for a CPO Model S. I also think Tesla is withholding listing more CPO Model S cars because it is cannibalizing Model 3 sales but that's IMHO.

I'm an in-store reservation holder and when Tesla placed the high mileage model S into the two year CPO warranty program over the summer I jumped. I have no autopilot but it is still the most amazing car I've ever owned by far and is in excellent condition (new drive unit during CPO reconditioning). Still going to sell it to get the 3 which I expect to get the invite to configure shortly but if it made any sense to keep both I would; Nov-Jan estimated delivery so should be soon.

If anyone is looking to do something similar I've got a hell of a nice car to sell soon :)

I'm an in-store reservation holder and when Tesla placed the high mileage model S into the two year CPO warranty program over the summer I jumped. I have no autopilot but it is still the most amazing car I've ever owned by far and is in excellent condition (new drive unit during CPO reconditioning). Still going to sell it to get the 3 which I expect to get the invite to configure shortly but if it made any sense to keep both I would; Nov-Jan estimated delivery so should be soon.

If anyone is looking to do something similar I've got a hell of a nice car to sell soon :)

I'll start the bidding at $1.

I messed up a long time ago waiting for details on the Tesla Bluestar. A couple years later we finally got the details and I thought, what is another 2 year wait? If I would have bought back 4 years ago the price for the S would have been about the same as what I expect for the 3.

I’m holding strong .... gonna rotate my worn out tires again and hope to know more by the time my March state inspection comes around. Fingers crossed my bridge car makes it.
Those CPOs are callin me though.

It's crazy. There are only 11 CPO Model S cars available from Tesla at the time of this writing. I think a lot of people got tired of waiting for the Model 3 and ponied up for a CPO Model S. I also think Tesla is withholding listing more CPO Model S cars because it is cannibalizing Model 3 sales but that's IMHO.
I am definitely getting tired and have been checking the CPOs regularly. The tax rebate surviving helps with the wait for the 3. Still feel fairly safe for getting mine by Q2.
I’m also pretty sure Tesla wants you in a CPO model S or ANY other Tesla other than the Model 3 right now. They cant be cannibalizing sales of a car that they don’t even need to actively sell for at least the next year or more. There’s many times when there are zero CPOs available but I don’t think that’s because they are withholding them.

I picked up my CPO just last fall. I ordered it in early June, about a week after they were having their "firesale". There were probably about 180 CPO's in stock back then. Had I found out about the firesale a week earlier I would have gotten an even better deal. Pickins are super slim now.