Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone hoping for a Model S convertible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say, I am secretly hoping a Model S convertible is announced sometime early next year. Admittedly I'd only get it if it were a sleek hard-top convertible (not a fan of the cloth ones), but I have to say the thought of a Model S convertible is nice indeed. With its frameless door windows, it's already set up nicely for the convertible option.

Having had both the MB SLK and the BMW Z4, I am a big fan of hardtop convertibles. That said, I don't think it would be practical for the S. First you have the added weight of the top mechanism. Most convertible versions of sedans require extra bracing for rigidity for when the top is down. More weight. Due to the size of the cabin, the top would be long and wide...considerably larger than any folding top I am aware of.

But the larger issue is where would the top and its mechanism go? The hard top convertibles I've seen all have a rear deck that opens to receive the top, which is stored in part of the trunk, with the resulting trunk space significantly diminished. The rear window is also part of the folding top. The hatchback design of the S would seem to preclude this.

There's an early Tesla PowerPoint slide made for investors that shows a Sedan, Crossover, Convertible (Cabriolet), and Minivan all built on the Model S platform.
29639005-623x363.jpg

@PhatCat. You bring up a great point about the hatch back causing issues for a hard-top convertible on the Model S.

I do think Tesla will introduce a sporty coupe well before any new roadster. A coupe has more mass appeal and I don't think it's an economically viable option to release another roadster that may struggle to sell more than 5 - 10k. With that said a coupe would lend itself well to a hard-top convertible option, so perhaps I'll have to wait till then :)

I do think Tesla will introduce a sporty coupe well before any new roadster. A coupe has more mass appeal and I don't think it's an economically viable option to release another roadster that may struggle to sell more than 5 - 10k. With that said a coupe would lend itself well to a hard-top convertible option, so perhaps I'll have to wait till then :)

I agree. 2 seat roadster sales went into the dumps for all makes when the recession started and have not recovered.

Sign me up for the Tesla coupe/convert. It would be hundreds of lbs lighter, several times the range and many thousands less expensive than a certain 4 seater.

Because the battery pack is a stressed element, the Model S has far more rigidity than a typical sedan. Consequently, it shouldn't be very hard to manage the structural issues that would normally arise from the loss of the hardtop as a structural member. The cabriolet would have to have a very different passenger compartment than the Model S, though: you can't do a "fastback" in a convertible. That said, I would never want to underestimate what cleverness the engineers at Tesla could apply to the problem.