Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know how to remove tire 2021 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled a nail out of the center of the rear passenger tire. Raising the car and in jack mode, Maybe I can plug it. If not, what tools do I need and how to do it?

Attachments

• 20231105_154222.jpg
    20231105_154222.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 37
Never remove nails without first having a source for compressed air and plugs.

Jack car. Identify nail and mark with chalk or white/yellow crayon. Deflate tire fully. Pull nail. Use rasping device to rough up and slightly enlarge hole. Place rubber cement on rasping device and lubricate and cover hole inside and out. Place plug on insertion tool and cover plug with rubber cement. Use plug insertion tool to insert plug. Cut flush with razor. Air up.

(When you pull the nail before everything is in place and the hole marked you can lose the hole and then you need to pump in air and look/ listen for the hole or spray with soapy water to find the hole. )

You just saved $150.

If you can’t or don’t know how… Tire shop can unmount tire and patch and rebalance wheel.

Theoretically patches are better BUT plugs work and I’ve been lucky and never had an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: fholbert
I could not get rasp tool to penetrate. Maybe if I could have unmounted the tire but I'm not set up with proper tools to do that. Hopefully one day for next flat.
So, a trip to Walmart in my other vehicle and I decided to try Fixaflat. First time trying this stuff but after letting the can empty into the tire per instructions, airing up to 45lbs and driving a bit, it is still holding this morning. Now I am off to my local tiee shop to let them inspect and hopefull plug that nail hole proper.
Thanks for the great advice. It is perfect.
I plan to pack a can of Fixaflat and a 12v compressor next!

You really should have taken your car to a tire shop to begin with. Assuming you have a small compressor in the car (you should) you simply pump up the tire, watch the TPMS and refill as needed until you get to a shop. Yes you can do DIY a plug, but if the car can be driven by adding air I suggest a plug is more trouble then it is worth. BTW, a lot of shops will refuse to work on a tire that has been plugged, so keep that in mind.

And don’t use Fix-a-flat products!

Reactions: TOBASH
I could not get rasp tool to penetrate. Maybe if I could have unmounted the tire but I'm not set up with proper tools to do that. Hopefully one day for next flat.
So, a trip to Walmart in my other vehicle and I decided to try Fixaflat. First time trying this stuff but after letting the can empty into the tire per instructions, airing up to 45lbs and driving a bit, it is still holding this morning. Now I am off to my local tiee shop to let them inspect and hopefull plug that nail hole proper.
Thanks for the great advice. It is perfect.
I plan to pack a can of Fixaflat and a 12v compressor next!
Argh. Fixaflat. Fills the interior of the tire with Gunk, and the gunk gets all over everything, including the TPMS sensor.

Further, for noise-quieting purposes, quite a few (but not all) tires for Teslas have sound-deadening material (foam) on the inside of the belly of the tire.

When a tire shop does a flat, they take the wheel off the car, dismount the tire, cut away the foam, put a patch on the inside of the tire (looks just like a bicycle inner tube patch), puts the foam back on top of the patch, puts the tire back on the wheel, inflates, and checks for leaks. Costs maybe $50, tops, and the $100 TPMS sensor is Just Fine.

The plug approach is not precisely official and carries risks that it might come loose, although plenty of people (including yours truly) have had success with the thing, which doesn't require actually taking the wheel off the car.

Your TPMS sensor is now Toast. Fixaflat is fine when you're out in Death Valley, no phone service, and the vultures are circling. Otherwise, you'd be better off calling for a flatbed truck to come get you and take you to a tire place.

Last edited:
Reactions: SunnySideUp
Argh. Fixaflat. Fills the interior of the tire with Gunk, and the gunk gets all over everything, including the TPMS sensor.

Further, for noise-quieting purposes, quite a few (but not all) tires for Teslas have sound-deadening material (foam) on the inside of the belly of the tire.

When a tire shop does a flat, they take the wheel off the car, dismount the tire, cut away the foam, put a patch on the inside of the tire (looks just like a bicycle inner tube patch), puts the foam back on top of the patch, puts the tire back on the wheel, inflates, and checks for leaks. Costs maybe $50, tops, and the $100 TPMS sensor is Just Fine.

The plug approach is not precisely official and carries risks that it might come loose, although plenty of people (including yours truly) have had success with the thing, which doesn't require actually taking the wheel off the car.

Your TPMS sensor is now Toast. Fixaflat is fine when you're out in Death Valley, no phone service, and the vultures are circling. Otherwise, you'd be better off calling for a flatbed truck to come get you and take you to a tire place.

Plugs do not come loose.