Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know if Model 3 tires have foam inserts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise? – Feature – Car and Driver

My first-hand experience is the foam is nothing but a gimmick with negligible benefit and considerable downside when you take your punctured tire to $RandomTireShop and they stare as if it were mounted to a space ship then flatly refuse to touch it.

You don't "purchase" the foam to put in the tires. The tires either come foam-lined or they don't.

Not sure about the Model 3 but I replaced the foam-lined OEM Goodyears with the non-foam-lined used-to-be-OEM Michelins on my MS and that was absolutely the right decision.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: ord3r and brkaus
The 18" do
20180427_180522.jpg

Well, based on that testing, the 200hz range does have a noticeable affect.
That’s good.

I'd put noticeable in quotes after reading the results....either 0 or 1 db difference as measured during testing.

If the effect appears small by our sound-meter measurements, it seemed even smaller when measured with our eardrums. We struggled to discern any significant improvement

I think if anyone felt there was too much noise, the first thing they would do is close the windows.
After that, you would want a quiet cabin.
True, but the article in car and driver was measuring if there was a difference between the two tires. Unfortunately they only measured from within the cabin and therefore did not get an accurate measurement if the foam is really reducing road noise from the tire itself. Continental argues it could be as high as 9 dB difference.