Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know what this item is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I recently brought in my model 3 to fixed a damaged door trim (damaged before taking delivery) and the service department left the following item in my trunk. Anyone know what this is? Looks like materials used for insulation.
Screenshot_20191021-105809.png

Call your Service Center. They will know. Everyone here will just be guessing, since we don’t work in Tesla Service.
Hi All,

I recently brought in my model 3 to fixed a damaged door trim (damaged before taking delivery) and the service department left the following item in my trunk. Anyone know what this is? Looks like materials used for insulation.
View attachment 468517

Hi All,

View attachment 468517
And worse case scenario (hopefully not in your case), it might have been what they took out of your door but forgot to put back in... so I'd advise not throwing it out until you talk to someone.

I have already tried several times to reach out directly (through calls, text, and emails) to the same service department but haven't heard back in a few days so thought I will give this forum a shot. The booking for new service appintment on my tesla app also wasn't working so I will just have to keep reaching out.

Reactions: go2realize
theres a lot of knowledgeable people here, no harm is asking. probably get a faster and more accurate answer from here than trying to get someone to answer the phone at a service center. we dont all live next door to one...

theres a lot of knowledgeable people here, no harm is asking. probably get a faster and more accurate answer from here than trying to get someone to answer the phone at a service center. we dont all live next door to one...
Yep no harm in asking here. I would hang on to it until you can get an answer from them that they installed a new piece and left the old one for some reason.

Wow, thank you all for the very helpful inputs. This forum is awesome. I will call again the service department and provide the context.
Please report back once you know.

I can give you some tips if you want to open up the door yourself, but you shouldn't have to.

I know in my history of car repairs, the shop sometimes offers me the used parts. (For my trophy wall, I supposed.) My hope is they replaced the insulation, and "offered" you the old one without bothering to tell you.

Oh, hey. Did they give you some sort of service summary? Like does line 4 say, "replaced door pad" or whatever? That'd be a clue.

CharleyBC, So I called the service department again and left a message (saying they likely forgot to install the insulation pad) and this time they actually responded quickly instead of just ignoring me. In the end, they weren't able to confirm whether they forgot to install back the pad or if they already install a new one so they asked me to bring the car back to the shop. A bit annoying since the car is only 3 weeks old and this will be my second visit to the service shop. I would think they should have this work documented or better tracked.

Reactions: CharleyBC