Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ordering vanity plates for their M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, personalized plates will take a while in CA. The ones for my 2021 Toyota Tacoma took around 8 months when I ordered them in March 2021, and I expect around the same amount of time for the personalized plate for my 2022 M3P.

I believe you have to wait until you receive the permanent (metal) plates/registration for your new car before you can order replacement personalized plates.

I was thinking about it but I read on the DMV that in CA it could take 6-9 months? Anyone order this with their car?
I ordered my vanity plate for my new Model Y at the end of January 2022.

Picked it up today from AAA Auto Club. You do need your permanent plate prior to ordering a Vanity Plate, but AAA can give you what it'll be a little sooner then if you just wait for it to arrive to your home.

DMV seems to be delivering Vanity plates faster now...

20220510_132452 (2).jpg

How does it work in TX? Do we wait until we have the car and then order? I noticed we don’t even order on a .gov website. Thanks
You order through the website www.myplates.com. I believe you need to have taken delivery of the car and paid taxes already. Everything in Texas is a bit different because of how we have to "purchase" the vehicles before they are ever delivered. And then you have to wait to get the paperwork mailed to you. This is also why in Texas we are not able to include tax, title, and registration in the loan.

I got a personalized plate in PA. It references electricity, but isn't Tesla-specific, it would work on an MME, Polestar, etc.

PA DMV website said it would take 8 to 10 weeks, but I got it in about 7.

No clue why it takes so long in CA. I guess there's more red tape, LOL.

Also not sure what the big deal is about black plates in CA. I guess I just don't get it, being from the East. I eat just as many mission burritos as I do cheese steaks, so I guess it's all good.

Can you just take the plates off your old car to put on the new car?

I've never reassigned/retained a personalized license plate from an old car, but according to these links, you will still need to obtain the new permanent license plate/registration for the new car before you can apply for the reassignment here in CA;

I've never reassigned/retained a personalized license plate from an old car, but according to these links, you will still need to obtain the new permanent license plate/registration for the new car before you can apply for the reassignment here in CA;

Ah what a bummer. Thank you for the info!