Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone receive a 14-30 adapter yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed the Menlo Parts Advisor yesterday and received the following response:
"I have yet to receive your adapter. Looking back I sent a request for it on 1/7 and again on 1/16. I sent out an email to the distribution team requesting an update. Once they get back to me I will be in touch. My apologies for the delay in this process."

I started the request process in November. Not sure what's going on, but I need it and am not inclined to DIY it.

I called Conntek and they are willing to make me a custom adapter that has NEMA 14-50 female on one end and NEMA L14-20 male on the other end. It's probably cheaper to DIY (they are charging me $85) but I don't feel comfortable doing it. Hope it works!

See the Home Tesla Charging Infrastructure FAQ for some background on why it's not the best idea to use these adapters.

If you insist, you may find yourself tripping the breakers as the car tries to draw 40A over a plug made for 20A maximum.

Based on my experience with twist-lock connectors, do not charge at anything more than 16A. The 20A twist-lock connectors are not made for 20A continuous loads and it is likely you will burn one off.

See the Home Tesla Charging Infrastructure FAQ for some background on why it's not the best idea to use these adapters.

If you insist, you may find yourself tripping the breakers as the car tries to draw 40A over a plug made for 20A maximum.

Based on my experience with twist-lock connectors, do not charge at anything more than 16A. The 20A twist-lock connectors are not made for 20A continuous loads and it is likely you will burn one off.

I wish I had read your FAQ link earlier! These are valuable information - I probably would not have ordered the custom adapter if I had known earlier. If I'm not able to cancel the order, do you think there is still a risk if I set the throttle to 16A so that my car won't try to draw more than 16A? What risk am I facing potentially (tripping breaker, fire, etc)? I appreciate your opinion.

I wish I had read your FAQ link earlier! These are valuable information - I probably would not have ordered the custom adapter if I had known earlier. If I'm not able to cancel the order, do you think there is still a risk if I set the throttle to 16A so that my car won't try to draw more than 16A? What risk am I facing potentially (tripping breaker, fire, etc)? I appreciate your opinion.

Well, first, make sure you have no Federal-Pacific Electric or Zinsco panel. DO NOT use the adapter if you do.

Otherwise, you risk tripping the breaker if your car isn't set properly. When you charge, ensure it's set to 16A -- every time -- so that it doesn't reset.

OK, now I'm starting to get grumpy (or some would say grumpier.) I've waited for over 2 months for Tesla to ship a promised 14-30 adapter. I've been stuck using 110v for the past month which hasn't created a problem as I haven't had any multiple 100+ mile days. But I have a two 100+ day trips planned for the weekend of Feb 9 and still no adapter. I'm thinking these things must be made in China and are sitting on a container ship somewhere in the middle of the Pacific. Come on Tesla, fess up. Or preferably get me the d*** adapter!

I still haven't received mine but the evseadaptor.com adapter is working fine. Also, I noticed that the car automatically remembers that my home charger is set to 30 amps and sets itself accordingly. Maybe set via GPS?

I still haven't received mine but the evseadaptor.com adapter is working fine. Also, I noticed that the car automatically remembers that my home charger is set to 30 amps and sets itself accordingly. Maybe set via GPS?

Yes, the car remembers charging based on GPS location. Don't count on it, though, as some people are reporting that software upgrades will reset their charging current. This is why using an adaptor is not recommended (and can result in insurance problems).

In looking at their website I don't see anything that allows for a 14-30 male (to plug into the wall) with a 14-50 female for the 14-50 adapter provided by Tesla to plug into.:confused: