Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone reconsidering their order after seeing how Elon is reacting to COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I liked Tesla’s anyhow, so have always been intrigued. Always have BMW’s and would be nice to possibly try a Tesla too. So more to it, but really like his comments. Only a lease, so no big deal.

Fair enough! Interested to hear how it compares to the 5 Series in comfort/refinement. I've been lucky enough to have a short walking/biking commute for my last several jobs, so I never invested much in my cars prior to the Tesla. So I don't really have much of a point of comparison for cars in the same price point.

Hope you enjoy the new ride!

I'm a recent 5 series convert as well. I had a diesel. The things I miss are getting 600 miles out of a tank of fuel, the hologram display of speed limit up on dashboard, and having a sunroof. I liked the 5 series, but the technology in it was relatively old. It was a 2015 and didn't have a touchscreen. I'm still not sure that new 5 series has touchscreens in them. They love that stupid knob to control everything.
I never was excited to drive it. It was my mid-life crisis/post-divorce purchase so my ex-wife couldn't get more of my money:D
This M3 kicks its butt. Royally. I feel like I'm tucked into a rocket ship. You all know the modern technology so I don't have to rattle off a list. It's unbelievable.
I had a 2017 model S loaner last week. It was ok, but give me my 2019 M3 any day of the week.

Reactions: 0mpg and GZDongles
I'm a recent 5 series convert as well. I had a diesel. The things I miss are getting 600 miles out of a tank of fuel, the hologram display of speed limit up on dashboard, and having a sunroof. I liked the 5 series, but the technology in it was relatively old. It was a 2015 and didn't have a touchscreen. I'm still not sure that new 5 series has touchscreens in them. They love that stupid knob to control everything.
I never was excited to drive it. It was my mid-life crisis/post-divorce purchase so my ex-wife couldn't get more of my money:D
This M3 kicks its butt. Royally. I feel like I'm tucked into a rocket ship. You all know the modern technology so I don't have to rattle off a list. It's unbelievable.
I had a 2017 model S loaner last week. It was ok, but give me my 2019 M3 any day of the week.

I would also miss HUD, Surround View when parking, and the 500 plus miles per tank on my 530xi. We have my wife’s X5 diesel and then gets great mpg for a SUV and long tank range. Also - would miss the multicontour seats and CarPlay, as I use Waze mostly.

Hardest thing for me to get used with the Tesla is the range anxiety as I do a lot of trips. I still can’t figure out how much it would cost to recharge at the SuperChargers to compare it to filling up gas. Thanks and did not mean to divert this thread. :)

I would also miss HUD, Surround View when parking, and the 500 plus miles per tank on my 530xi. We have my wife’s X5 diesel and then gets great mpg for a SUV and long tank range. Also - would miss the multicontour seats and CarPlay, as I use Waze mostly.

Hardest thing for me to get used with the Tesla is the range anxiety as I do a lot of trips. I still can’t figure out how much it would cost to recharge at the SuperChargers to compare it to filling up gas. Thanks and did not mean to divert this thread. :)

Unless you routinely drive more than like 500 miles a day range anxiety for trips shouldn't be a thing.

Exception- if all of your trips are that long, and involve driving around North Dakota.

Anywhere else in the US you just leave fully charged, drive 200-250 miles to a supercharger on the way, and then do one of the following depending on your remaining distance and trip stopping preferences:

A) Stop and charge for 10-20 minutes while getting drinks/using restrooms...that'll get you another 150ish miles of range added on...which may or may not get you to destination depending how far you're going but absolutely gets you to the next supercharger if you're going a LONG way today.

or

B) Charge for 30-40 min while grabbing a sit down meal, and then you can drive another 250 miles or more

Plan to stop at hotels (or air bnbs or whatever) with L2 chargers (which are pretty common now) so you can plug in overnight and again leave fully charged.

There were folks talking cross-country road trips in Teslas 5 years ago that had 200 miles of range and hardly any superchargers out there and they were able to do it.

Today with 250-350 miles of range on most new Teslas and 99% of the US population living within ~100 miles of a supercharger it's a complete non-issue.

As to cost depends on the state- but probably more than right now because gas got so stupid cheap, but comparable or less than it cost you before the pandemic stuff.... though this misses the point...

Unless you are road tripping the majority of your time you'll be doing most of your charging at home. Which is WAY cheaper than gas stations even now... and you don't waste time every week having to STOP to refuel the car- you just get home, plug in, and it's charged when you leave in the morning.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thought this article was appropriate for this thread. As a resident of the bay area, our local govt officials did things right and handled this disaster ideally. Our curve has plateaued but it's stuck there and there hasn't been a consistent decrease of cases.

Elon Musk’s battle to reopen Tesla’s Fremont plant may shape his legacy

“The biggest thing that offended me about what’s being proposed here is the civil disobedience aspect,” says Mark Cullen, director of the Center for Population Health Sciences at Stanford, in an interview. “Any time you take what turns out to be brilliant planning on the part of our six counties — and to snub the value of that very publicly, make this ‘f*** you’ libertarian statement, and say ‘if you don’t do what I want, I’ll move to another state’ — highlights what’s wrong with public health thinking and policy. It’s outrageous.”

He might gain new customers — people who ordinarily might not care about electric vehicles but want to support Musk for pushing back against government overreach. Longtime Tesla customers, though, might feel alienated, particularly those who are more collectively-minded. Cullen, the epidemiologist, is among that group. “I drive a f***ing Tesla,” Cullen tells The Verge. “When the cheap ones came out, I bought one. I love the car. I don’t love Musk.”