Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone reconsidering their order after seeing how Elon is reacting to COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2% is a little high, particularly for those under 30. There is maybe 200mil in the US below 60. At a 30% infection rate, that is 70mil. 2% of that is 1.4million... yeah... the other 199mil are going to get tired of waiting and being jobless soon... and the 1.4mil would have gotten sick anyways at some point. People gotta pay rent and buy food...

Agreed, the breakdown has to be more specific below 60. Also, put in comorbid conditions as well.

Meanwhile, until fairly recently people were out in our retirement golf communities in AZ :(

Here's some interesting information

In Louisiana, people ages 40 to 59 account for 22 percent of all deaths. The same age range in Georgia accounts for 17 percent of all deaths.

The coronavirus’s unique threat to the South - The Atlantic
The coronavirus’s unique threat to the South — The Atlantic

Due to high rates of conditions like lung disease and heart disease and obesity, the people living in these states are at risk if they get the virus,” Neuman told me. These aren’t “people who are sick, but these are people who have underlying comorbidities that put them at higher risk of serious illness if they get infected.

It was similar to Italy with a relatively high smoking rate.

Due to high rates of conditions like lung disease and heart disease and obesity, the people living in these states are at risk if they get the virus,” Neuman told me. These aren’t “people who are sick, but these are people who have underlying comorbidities that put them at higher risk of serious illness if they get infected.

It was similar to Italy with a relatively high smoking rate.
That's why simplistic solutions like quarantine those over 60 fail.

In the last 25 years we have sent most of our medical device manufacturing overseas. China and Wall Street promoted it to both political parties, and both parties sold us out.

Anyone think it was a mistake? 25 years ago all the Experts said the US does not need manufacturing capabilities. Now they are billionaires and we have a shortage of everything.

In the last 25 years we have sent most of our medical device manufacturing overseas. China and Wall Street promoted it to both political parties, and both parties sold us out.

Anyone think it was a mistake? 25 years ago all the Experts said the US does not need manufacturing capabilities. Now they are billionaires and we have a shortage of everything.
Are we a capitalist, profit seeking country or not? Are we for gov't regulated corporations or not? Should Tesla *not* have built and operate Gigafactory China? Are you saying the US gov't should have a much greater hand in what individual US corporations are allowed to do?

Are we a capitalist, profit seeking country or not? Are we for gov't regulated corporations or not? Should Tesla *not* have built and operate Gigafactory China? Are you saying the US gov't should have a much greater hand in what individual US corporations are allowed to do?

How's your personal N95 supply? I thought so. Perhaps you would have a point in a level playing but it never was, and efforts to level it are fought every penny at a time. The Gigafactory is in China because the Chinese required it just like they do to all American companies.

How's your personal N95 supply? I thought so. Perhaps you would have a point in a level playing but it never was, and efforts to level it are fought every penny at a time. The Gigafactory is in China because the Chinese required it just like they do to all American companies.
I really can't tell which direction you are arguing or what your position actually is... not even whether you think I do or don't have some N95's...

What sort of level playing field are you lamenting doesn't exist? One in which the standard of living in China (or Vietnam) is the same as the US ? (don't forget about the inner city, or Appalachia) Who exactly are the have's and have not's?

Are you actually asking for completely level playing fields in everything? Or only in aspects that you want?

I really can't tell which direction you are arguing or what your position actually is... not even whether you think I do or don't have some N95's...

What sort of level playing field are you lamenting doesn't exist? One in which the standard of living in China (or Vietnam) is the same as the US ? (don't forget about the inner city, or Appalachia) Who exactly are the have's and have not's?

Are you actually asking for completely level playing fields in everything? Or only in aspects that you want?

A 2012 Chevrolet Volt MSRP in Beijing was $101,000 USD while selling in the US for $39,000.

Do you want to know why or do you already know about Chinese IP laws?

A 2012 Chevrolet Volt MSRP in Beijing was $101,000 USD while selling in the US for $39,000.
Do you want to know why or do you already know about Chinese IP laws?
I see, so you're focused on Chinese trade barriers. I don't disagree that the Chinese need to be reigned in as far as trade barriers and "stealing" IP. Of course there is a lot of unfair IP issues within the US as well. But the Chinese didn't force US companies to shift manufacturing to China. Didn't force companies to choose to enter the Chinese market. Their country, their rules, just like our country our rules. Yes we should try to use what leverage we can to yield what we consider to be better behavior. But they try to get away with what they can just like we do. That the Chinese can act more like a unified entity is a feature of their style of gov't, just like their COVID response. You want that "feature" for our gov't? Otherwise US companies will act in a generally shortsighted manner to maximize profits.

Reactions: mspohr
I see, so you're focused on Chinese trade barriers. I don't disagree that the Chinese need to be reigned in as far as trade barriers and "stealing" IP. Of course there is a lot of unfair IP issues within the US as well. But the Chinese didn't force US companies to shift manufacturing to China. Didn't force companies to choose to enter the Chinese market. Their country, their rules, just like our country our rules. Yes we should try to use what leverage we can to yield what we consider to be better behavior. But they try to get away with what they can just like we do. That the Chinese can act more like a unified entity is a feature of their style of gov't, just like their COVID response. You want that "feature" for our gov't? Otherwise US companies will act in a generally shortsighted manner to maximize profits.

No. I'm focused on US government intervention that causes US companies to tolerate surrendering their IP to China in order to be competitive. Without the US gov't punishment of manufacturers operating in the US, no company would tolerate Chinese practices. Our gov't even gives preferred trading status to China up until recently. They never reciprocated.

A Chinese company will clone the Tesla product line soon. Why not now? EV production isn't really profitable yet. We need a big drop in battery prices, then the US auto industry will go the way of the US home electronics business.

Note that China makes more electric vehicles than the US does, and tried unsuccessfully to sell EVs in the US in 2012. LiFePO4 tech was safer but heavier.

No. I'm focused on US government intervention that causes US companies to tolerate surrendering their IP to China in order to be competitive. Without the US gov't punishment of manufacturers operating in the US, no company would tolerate Chinese practices.
By "punishment" I assume you mean taxes and regulations... Yet it remains true that the companies are not forced into the Chinese market, nor are they forced to move manufacturing to China. They do so to gain a market (profits) and get cheap labor (lower costs of production).

Reactions: mspohr
If Musk were just some inconsequential CEO of some inconsequential car company (they're all pretty much inconsequential now aren't they?) then I'd be inclined to think him a fool. As it were, Musk has proven himself to be one of the great creative minds of our time, I dare use the word genius, therefore I am willing to suffer his minor eccentricities and proclivity to make occasional cringe-worthy statements.

Reactions: vickh
Ventilators are overused for Covid-19 patients, doctors say - STAT

That is making critical care physicians suspect that blood levels of oxygen, which for decades have driven decisions about breathing support for patients with pneumonia and acute respiratory distress, might be misleading them about how to care for those with Covid-19. In particular, more and more are concerned about the use of intubation and mechanical ventilators. They argue that more patients could receive simpler, noninvasive respiratory support, such as the breathing masks used in sleep apnea, at least to start with and maybe for the duration of the illness.

Researchers and clinicians on the front lines are trying. In a small study last week in Annals of Intensive Care, physicians who treated Covid-19 patients at two hospitals in China found that the majority of patients needed no more than a nasal cannula. Among the 41% who needed more intense breathing support, none was put on a ventilator right away. Instead, they were given noninvasive devices such as BiPAP; their blood oxygen levels “significantly improved” after an hour or two. (Eventually two of seven needed to be intubated.) The researchers concluded that the more comfortable nasal cannula is just as good as BiPAP and that a middle ground is as safe for Covid-19 patients as quicker use of a ventilator.

Ventilators are overused for Covid-19 patients, doctors say - STAT

That is making critical care physicians suspect that blood levels of oxygen, which for decades have driven decisions about breathing support for patients with pneumonia and acute respiratory distress, might be misleading them about how to care for those with Covid-19. In particular, more and more are concerned about the use of intubation and mechanical ventilators. They argue that more patients could receive simpler, noninvasive respiratory support, such as the breathing masks used in sleep apnea, at least to start with and maybe for the duration of the illness.

Researchers and clinicians on the front lines are trying. In a small study last week in Annals of Intensive Care, physicians who treated Covid-19 patients at two hospitals in China found that the majority of patients needed no more than a nasal cannula. Among the 41% who needed more intense breathing support, none was put on a ventilator right away. Instead, they were given noninvasive devices such as BiPAP; their blood oxygen levels “significantly improved” after an hour or two. (Eventually two of seven needed to be intubated.) The researchers concluded that the more comfortable nasal cannula is just as good as BiPAP and that a middle ground is as safe for Covid-19 patients as quicker use of a ventilator.

IF the study is correct this would be an example of where invasive tx. might be worse than the disease.