Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the price drop of 3k on the dual motor, vs only 1k on the performance....seems the standard dual motor is really the way to go (value wise). Having had two model 3's, I've always lusted after a performance variant.... but the PY is a bit more than I really want to spend (this sounds like deja vu in my head).. I know I should probably just spring for performance but its so hard to do!

Any dual motor owners already regretting not getting performance? Would love to hear more about the acceleration of the non-performance dual motor Y from 30-70. Would be nice to see videos comparing the Y to the 3 acceleration.

I have been thinking the same. Hard to justify spending an extra $10k for some extra acceleration, as much as I want it. The other dilemma is that I definitely don’t want the PUP wheels and lowered suspension...would not make sense for the area I live in with harsh winters.

At the same time I don’t want to regret not springing for the extra acceleration.

Zero regrets. The additional range is much more important to me than getting to 60 mph a bit faster. For us our MY is about going places and bringing all the stuff we want to bring (i.e. kids, dogs, fishing gear, coolers, etc.) We would have gotten a different model we were only looking for quick acceleration and pure driving dynamics. Our LR MY is a great combination of driving experiences with very, very few compromises.

Last edited:
Zero regrets. The additional range is much more important to me than getting to 60 mph a bit faster. For us our MY is about going places and bringing all the stuff we want to bring (i.e. kids, dogs, fishing gear, coolers, etc.) We would have gotten a different model we were only looking for quick acceleration and pure driving dynamics. Our LR MY is a great combination of driving experiences with very, very few compromises.

Quick point - the "range" is somewhat irrelevant to me, as its totally based upon the wheels. This is easily fixed by selling sell the uberturbines and getting a proper light weight 19 or 20" wheel and probably have better range than a LR on induction wheels.

That said, very interesting point you're making about the driving dynamics....
When I walked away from test driving the performance Y - I did think the power was almost silly in such a vehicle. While the model 3 has very good driving dynamics, and the performance "fits" there.... the Y doesn't have those same pure driving dynamics, and thus that much power didn't seem to belong? Even still, I always lusted after the performance when I had my 3, and don't wanna do it again - but maybe the Y is just different. Hmmm, gotta think about it.

Well, I have Model Y Performance (came from Model S 85D). No regrets about it either. The ride isn't rough and the acceleration is great. Obviously, range and tire are the two biggest concerns. I live in LA, so the road conditions isn't the worst. But the look of 21 inch wheel and gap between the wheel and body makes the car looks a bit nicer. I have done several long distance range tests on freeway with AP (75mph, 71 degree AC set to auto, and 2 passengers), and it performs ~13% worse than the stated range (or 87% efficiency).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ra88it

Quick point - the "range" is somewhat irrelevant to me, as its totally based upon the wheels. This is easily fixed by selling sell the uberturbines and getting a proper light weight 19 or 20" wheel and probably have better range than a LR on induction wheels.

That said, very interesting point you're making about the driving dynamics....
When I walked away from test driving the performance Y - I did think the power was almost silly in such a vehicle. While the model 3 has very good driving dynamics, and the performance "fits" there.... the Y doesn't have those same pure driving dynamics, and thus that much power didn't seem to belong? Even still, I always lusted after the performance when I had my 3, and don't wanna do it again - but maybe the Y is just different. Hmmm, gotta think about it.

If you've "lusted" after the performance then you have answered your own question. it sounds like Ruffles has the same desire for getting the most performance out of their car. You are correct how the tires affect range. We can always change tires and our driving habits to increase range but there is virtually nothing I can do to boost my performance. I am completely fine with the stock performance and feel the extra money just to go a little bit quicker is not a good value for me.

Coming from the 3 AWD non-performance I thought the LR AWD Y was quite slow which is why I opted for the performance. I wish there was a price break for not getting the PUP but since there wasn't I went with the PUP. Otherwise you are paying $10k for just the faster 0-60.

I will probably buy the 20" Falcon Y Limited Edition Flow Forged Tesla Wheel from Tsportline. I am not sure If I will keep or sell the Uberturbine wheels or not. The wheels are my one concern with the PUP. I wish they offered the inductions wheels with the PUP.

Reactions: Macroach
No regrets. It helps that I've never driven any Performance model Teslas, so I don't know what I'm missing.

Back when I bought a Pcar, I decided to test drive an S model as well as the base model, just to have a back-to-back comparison. I couldn't settle for the base after that one drive.

I feel like it's a much larger difference with a Pcar. I was in the same boat. Couldn't settle for a base after test driving the others. When it comes to the Y, we've been having this discussion at our management meetings. For a new marketing car, do we need to get the performance model? Probably not. I doubt our marketing and sales team will miss the performance. However, I really want to max it out, lower it, and throw on some Volks. :D

Reactions: captanzuelo