Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone seen damage like this to the jack points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are asking to cover it under my insurance. Its a 6 month old car and it would have ha ppened when tesla did my tire change for flat tire
Six months is unfortunately not a brand new car anymore, so Tesla likely will not cover it unless you had a way to prove it was undamaged immediately before the tire change happened.

Tesla generally only covers damage shortly after delivery (not months) when reported as a delivery defect almost immediately after delivery and otherwise only if it's very clear it was damage done by them during the service visit. The rest is an insurance claim on your own dime, as the warranty doesn't cover physical damage.

Reactions: navguy12
Six months is unfortunately not a brand new car anymore, so Tesla likely will not cover it unless you had a way to prove it was undamaged immediately before the tire change happened.

Tesla generally only covers damage shortly after delivery (not months) when reported as a delivery defect almost immediately after delivery and otherwise only if it's very clear it was damage done by them during the service visit. The rest is an insurance claim on your own dime, as the warranty doesn't cover physical damage.
I got a flat tire and tesla replaced the tire on the last service visit , i see the crack on jack point on the same tire they replaced . They told they are investigating whther its technician issue or issue of tow company tesla roadside assistance called

I got a flat tire and tesla replaced the tire on the last service visit , i see the crack on jack point on the same tire they replaced . They told they are investigating whther its technician issue or issue of tow company tesla roadside assistance called
Well if they are willing to investigate, hopefully they pull through for you and cover it.

Is anyone willing to share their VIN of vehicles that had this lift point damage and were repaired by Tesla under warranty?

I have a 2022 MYP. I picked up the car August 2022 in Memphis. It was raining. I asked the sales woman to place my car in their delivery bay so that I could dry off the car to inspect and place the car on a lift to examine the undercarriage. She said, "We don't even use those bays or lifts." I asked for a manager. She said Tesla Memphis did not have any manager, not service, general, or sales.

I found my car was dented as soon as I got it home and dried it off, and that started the denials of repair from Tesla.

In February 2023, I asked Tesla to address the damaged lift points that I noticed when looking under the car. I didn't even know what I was looking at, just that something seemed obviously wrong. Tesla Memphis first told me I must have run over something to cause the damage only to the 4 lift points--impossible, and the car had never been lifted. Tesla told me to file a claim under my insurance for a new battery. They also found my vibration at highway speeds was due to no wheel weights on one of my wheels. They claimed I must have accelerated fast and caused my wheel weights to "fly off." They charged me to balance the wheel that had never had weights applied from the factory.

They told me that with no manager in Memphis, the case would be handled by Nasvhille general manager within 2 weeks. No response. Then that manager took a new role within Tesla and dropped the case. Now Nashville has a service manager and no general manager. Memphis has a new general manager who has offered me tires and a roof rack instead of repairing my lift points with a battery replacement. He said that Tesla actually decided in February to not repair my lift points but that no one wanted to tell me.

Tesla has now had my car for about a month with absolutely no communication from them to fix a faulty door panel/latch. They sent my car to a body shop without notifying me. I had to find it on a map to learn it had been handed off.

I think some evidence of the problem with other Teslas with successful warranty repair might help my case.

Did you really expect they would cater to your request? I’ve never heard of any dealership, let alone Tesla doing this.
I've never heard of any car manufacturer consistently delivering new cars with frame damage and then disregarding their obligation to repair. Yet this thread proves that Tesla does this on the regular.

Yes, indeed, I expected to accept delivery of my car in a dry delivery bay rather than in pouring rain and standing water in a parking lot. It's not my fault the Memphis dealership is poorly run on a barely there skeleton crew with no managerial oversight less than 4 hours away.

Perhaps you have no concept of customer service. 40 years in the automotive industry leads me to believe that this experience is not acceptable, nor is it par for the course among any other brand.

I've never heard of any car manufacturer consistently delivering new cars with frame damage and then disregarding their obligation to repair. Yet this thread proves that Tesla does this on the regular.
Given there's only been a few cases reported spanning many years, Tesla having sold more than 4 million cars (almost 2 million of which are Model 3s), I would say actually it's extremely rare and not "on the regular".

Not hard to google for example VW ID.4s (order of magnitude less volume than the Model 3 or Model Y) with underbody damage on delivery and getting a runaround from the dealer. These things can sometimes happen.
Dealer tech claims that damaging the splash shields is...
Yes, indeed, I expected to accept delivery of my car in a dry delivery bay rather than in pouring rain and standing water in a parking lot. It's not my fault the Memphis dealership is poorly run on a barely there skeleton crew with no managerial oversight less than 4 hours away.

Perhaps you have no concept of customer service. 40 years in the automotive industry leads me to believe that this experience is not acceptable, nor is it par for the course among any other brand.

The Elon apologists will victim blame.

The fact is no one does this to their cars. No one can create this damage by driving over something.

It’s towing damage, plain and simple.

It’s a Xhitty way to deliver a car.
It could also be lift/jack damage if the owner took it to another shop do other work (like PPF or lowering springs as per some cases up thread). Some of the damage reported here also is scraping damage, which can also happen if debris is run over. That's why it's important to report any such damage in a timely manner (assuming it was freshly delivered) to eliminate questions if it was done by the owner or authorized agent.

I wouldn’t say the handful that have reported it here equals Tesla is consistently delivering new cars with frame damage.
I’ve taken delivery of 3 Teslas without any frame damage. I just didn’t create a thread saying so.

Yes, indeed, I expected to accept delivery of my car in a dry delivery bay rather than in pouring rain and standing water in a parking lot.
Why do you deserve such special treatment when taking delivery of a $50k mass produced car? Is there enough time and space to give everyone taking delivery of a Tesla in the rain a private bay and lift at your Tesla showroom? If they let everyone taking delivery of new cars to use their lifts, how would they fix the cars in the service area?
You should have reserved space at a local mechanic for their dry bay and lift if this is how you wanted to inspect your new car.

I have purchased numerous Audis prior to my first Tesla back in 2019. Not a single time did my delivery experience have a private delivery bay and lift included. I did what I did when taking delivery of my Teslas. I would walk around the car and look for damage. The only difference was I could inspect the inside, unlike Tesla. Which is hit or miss, I was allowed to inspect the inside of my Model S and Model Y, but not my Model 3.

The Tesla apologists are hilarious. Structural damage is not acceptable on a new vehicle under any circumstance.

Tesla's response to my concerns is now to grind down the structural lift points and paint over the damage rather than replacing the pack.

With so many people in this thread, I'm still holding out hope that some of you will provide your VIN where this situation was resolved satisfactorily. I see several members here say that other members were kind enough to provide VINs to help their case, and all I'm asking for is the same.