Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone seen damage like this to the jack points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The jack points were designed to accommodate a jack or a lift, they weren't designed as tie down hooks to take lateral stress.

The problem is that whoever strapped your and super20g's cars down for transport assumed they could hook into them (and who wouldn't make that logical assumption?)

Tesla should really change the design of these things so that they either aren't confused as tie down hooks, or they beef them up so that they can double as such.
In all the pictures of this damage that I’ve seen all four jack points are ripped in the same direction. This doesn’t seem consistent with damage from tie down straps. I think the damage is being done while transporting the battery packs.
Also, the tie down straps that I have cannot be manipulated to fit into the jack points.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Seems like a weird place for a failure like that. Like some of the damage is up inside the hole, but not to the lower part, can't even think of how damage like that would be caused.

Also I understand Tesla is trying to make the car as aero dynamic as possible, but would proper jack points really add that much drag? On most cars they're basically just behind the tire anyway, so there is likely already some massive aerodynamic disturbances there anyway.

In all the pictures of this damage that I’ve seen all four jack points are ripped in the same direction. This doesn’t seem consistent with damage from tie down straps. I think the damage is being done while transporting the battery packs.
Also, the tie down straps that I have cannot be manipulated to fit into the jack points.

Good point, perhaps something in the assembly process jacks into the four loops to move the car forward and something isn't slotting correctly, something's using too much force, or something is jamming up the process in some way to cause a sudden stop.

Or someone's using some crappy tie down strap (I have some Chinesium ones that just have metal hooks on the ends that one could try and snag into the jack point hole.) Maybe they're pulling them in one direction before securing it the other way. Yeah that sounds like a stretch, so I don't think it's likely, but hey, anyone ignorant enough to rip those probably isn't doing the rest of their job properly either :)

The jack points were designed to accommodate a jack or a lift, they weren't designed as tie down hooks to take lateral stress.

The problem is that whoever strapped your and super20g's cars down for transport assumed they could hook into them (and who wouldn't make that logical assumption?)

Tesla should really change the design of these things so that they either aren't confused as tie down hooks, or they beef them up so that they can double as such.

I have a written confirmation from Tesla that they're gonna fix my damaged jack points back to new car status. I'm not gonna accept a false handling prior to delivery. Hope this works out fine. Thank you for your help. I would also suggest Telsa is checking this jack points prior to delivery.

Reactions: Andy7 and navguy12
I have a written confirmation from Tesla that they're gonna fix my damaged jack points back to new car status. I'm not gonna accept a false handling prior to delivery. Hope this works out fine. Thank you for your help. I would also suggest Telsa is checking this jack points prior to delivery.

Glad to hear they are going to take care of you!

I don't know how Tesla is doing in beautiful Switzerland, but in the US you are lucky if it is unloaded off the semi truck and washed before delivery. Anything outside of that they just wait to see if a customer complains, and prefer you to return it within 7 days so they can pass it on to someone else that might not care about whatever issues bother you. Hopefully they nail down these little qc details soon because you would think it is costing them quite a bit.

Tesla is doing alright here in Switzerland. Model 3 is on 7th place of all best selling cars Jan-Aug. The quality is obviously the same everywhere. They do almost no preparation prior to delivery but charging 1 k preparation. What really scares me is the inefficient sales process. I received a lot of automated mails which are of no value, because everyone says the’re wrong. And often one is not able to talk to a Tesla rep. The want everything on their app, but this is not working. Only the initial Sales person took care of me and could be reached. If they want to grow in this sector, they must get up to the level the ordinary car dealer over the street
offers. It saddens me to see this subpar service level with this great car!

Last edited:
Looks like I have similar damage to my car. I picked it up a few days ago and just noticed today. Anyone have any luck getting this replaced to a satisfactory level?

Attachments

• pass front jack point.jpg
    pass front jack point.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 327
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 202
Looks like I have similar damage to my car. I picked it up a few days ago and just noticed today. Anyone have any luck getting this replaced to a satisfactory level?

Mine was delivered with the scuffs on the rocker panels, likely from loading or unloading it at some point. They took care of it the next time I had a reason to bring it in. Make sure they know about the issues as you find them, but bundle service trips together as best as you can.

Mine was delivered with the scuffs on the rocker panels, likely from loading or unloading it at some point. They took care of it the next time I had a reason to bring it in. Make sure they know about the issues as you find them, but bundle service trips together as best as you can.

Thanks for the tips! I have an appointment for next week but I'm not sure I want to even wait till then since it's after the 7 days. Not sure why the other picture isn't loading correctly but I'm most worried about the damage to the jack point. Having the battery replaced sounds like it could only lead to more problems.

Attachments

• damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 219
Thanks for the tips! I have an appointment for next week but I'm not sure I want to even wait till then since it's after the 7 days. Not sure why the other picture isn't loading correctly but I'm most worried about the damage to the jack point. Having the battery replaced sounds like it could only lead to more problems.

The only way they can fix it is to replace the HV battery pack. That is not a plug and play fix. It is rather invasive. If I would have been within my 7 days like you are, I would have returned mine rather than having them replace the pack. They gave the car back to me 8 weeks later, extremely dirty, damaged in multiple areas, and with an invoice stating the car was there for 4, yes 4 days, and that they believe I damaged the jack points myself. They refused to fix/replace it when I first asked, and second time, etc.. I gave them VIN's and invoices of others with the same damage that had the pack replaced. They did NOT care for me making them replace the battery pack. On a car they sold me in a damaged state...

OMG, 22 months later and this is still a thing!
I just got a PM from someone in Milton, ON that is having their battery pack replaced right now for the same jack point damage to all jack points...

But I somehow did it myself and Tesla graciously goodwill'd a $16k battery according to my invoice. Classy bunch. Pretty sure that is considered pervasive warranty fraud.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
The jack points are integrated into the battery pack. The only way to fix it is to replace the battery pack... Your damage is pretty minor. I would accept some goodwill to leave yours alone if it was me.

They are replacing my battery pack now to fix this damage... All 4 of my jack points were ripped probably from tie downs during transport... Worse than this.

They wouldn't offer me goodwill. Service refused to fix the damage until I provided a VIN of another member on here that had the same damage repaired, then magically they were able to order the part, which was ordered on 8/20 and still hasn't shipped. Car has been at service since 8/7...
Hey, Can you please help me with this, i have a new brand new 2023 tesla, noticed crack in jackpoint. similar issue, took it to tesla they say its from tow damage done by tesla, asking me to go through insurance. Can you please advise me what to be done.

• Helpful
Reactions: CyberShy
Hey, Can you please help me with this, i have a new brand new 2023 tesla, noticed crack in jackpoint. similar issue, took it to tesla they say its from tow damage done by tesla, asking me to go through insurance. Can you please advise me what to be done.
Through their insurance or yours? They should fix it under warranty given they delivered it that way (I presume you reported the issue within 100 miles and a couple of days after delivery). Did you report it via the app and also took screenshots of the report for a record? This is to establish evidence of the fault being reported in a timely manner as a delivery issue.

Reactions: navguy12
The jack points are integrated into the battery pack. The only way to fix it is to replace the battery pack... Your damage is pretty minor. I would accept some goodwill to leave yours alone if it was me.

They are replacing my battery pack now to fix this damage... All 4 of my jack points were ripped probably from tie downs during transport... Worse than this.

They wouldn't offer me goodwill. Service refused to fix the damage until I provided a VIN of another member on here that had the same damage repaired, then magically they were able to order the part, which was ordered on 8/20 and still hasn't shipped. Car has been at service since 8/7...
I got the same issue, but tesla is not replying properly when shown to them, its 6 month only old car, can you please guide on what i should do to get it corrected, Appreciate your help thank yoy

Through their insurance or yours? They should fix it under warranty given they delivered it that way (I presume you reported the issue within 100 miles and a couple of days after delivery). Did you report it via the app and also took screenshots of the report for a record? This is to establish evidence of the fault being reported in a timely manner as a delivery issue.
They are asking to cover it under my insurance. Its a 6 month old car and it would have ha ppened when tesla did my tire change for flat tire