Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still have 100 on their safety score?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well.. anyone still have 100? And actually done a decent amount of driving? I’m really hoping to get accepted for the beta.. I’ve done a bunch of driving but only managing a 98 so far.. got dinged for a forward collision warning that never happened to my knowledge 🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm at 98 also with over 300 miles. Got dinged for turning too fast (which never happened) and following to closely that also never happened. Only thing I can figure out for following too closely is someone merging into my lane of the interstate after they passed me too quickly. The turning too quickly, don't have a clue!

Reactions: croman
So, those of you with a 100 score this morning.... Do you plan to park your car until Friday Midnight, as not to risk "Blowing it"? I can't, as I have a 160 mile trip tomorrow....
Use autopilot everywhere. Whether on highway or traffic, those dings and within 3 seconds of AP being disengaged aren’t tabulated. I have a 100 score and 1800 miles. I have another 600 miles to drive before Friday. No fear here.

I’m guessing you may have used the aggregate numbers on the summary screen. I’m honestly not sure why they are there. The formula is applied to each individual drive, then the scores for each drive are weighted by the number of miles and a daily score is calculated. Then those daily scores are weighted by the number of miles for the day to determine the one aggregate score. Here is a pic of my simple situation for my model 3 that has barely been driven since this game started and had a single hard brake on a single drive:
View attachment 718680
I have 1787 miles on my model X and this also checks out for it. The one thing I’m unsure about is at what point Tesla rounds and when they carry through more significant digits than they display.
Figured it out, he left the 0.682854 component of the PCF out of the formula in the post I was replying to. Obviously you're using it in the spreadsheet.

Last edited:
I’m guessing you may have used the aggregate numbers on the summary screen. I’m honestly not sure why they are there. The formula is applied to each individual drive, then the scores for each drive are weighted by the number of miles and a daily score is calculated. Then those daily scores are weighted by the number of miles for the day to determine the one aggregate score. Here is a pic of my simple situation for my model 3 that has barely been driven since this game started and had a single hard brake on a single drive:
View attachment 718680
I have 1787 miles on my model X and this also checks out for it. The one thing I’m unsure about is at what point Tesla rounds and when they carry through more significant digits than they display.
Could you post the exact formulas you're using for this result? When I try to calculate my per-drive PCF, it's coming out way too low. My first day's numbers were as follows:
TripMilesFCWBrakingTurningAP Disengage
18.2407.4%8.3%0
20.7107.4%00
30.7306%00

My score for that day was a 77. Can you explain how that works out?

Could you post the exact formulas you're using for this result? When I try to calculate my per-drive PCF, it's coming out way too low. My first day's numbers were as follows:
TripMilesFCWBrakingTurningAP Disengage
18.2407.4%8.3%0
20.7107.4%00
30.7306%00

My score for that day was a 77. Can you explain how that works out?
Formulas are from Tesla’s blog about safety scores:

FC7F97B4-D6E8-4B3B-B03A-329D903E4DB1.jpeg
When I plug in the numbers you gave, your day’s score is 75. It is dominated by your first trip that is 8.24 out of 10.63 miles and had some big hits on hard brake and turning.
219768BF-E7B5-4838-B4E9-C0B751651146.jpeg

Is this consistent with what Tesla is showing for you?

You can calculate your exact safety score as follows (from Safety Score Beta):
  • Forward Collision Warning (FCW): raw number per 1000 miles (max 101.9)
  • Hard Braking (HB): backward acceleration, (time > 0.3g) / (time > 0.1g) (less than 0.1g not counted) (max 7.4%)
  • Aggressive Turning (AT): lateral acceleration, (time > 0.4g) / (time > 0.2g) (less than 0.2g not counted) (max 17.1%)
  • Unsafe Following (UF): "headway", time to reach vehlcle ahead, (time < 1 second) / (time < 3 seconds) (over 3 seconds not counted, following at speeds under 50mph also not considered) (max 60%)
  • Forced Autopilot Disengagement (FAD): number of times autopilot has switched itself off for remainder of trip (after three audio warnings)
Safety Score = 115.382324 - (22.526504 * 1.01495^FCW * 1.127294^HB * 1.019630^AT * 1.001444^UF * 1.317958^FAD)

I have: FCW: 0, HB: 0.7%, AT: 1.4%, UF: 2.6%, FAD: 0

I put the formula into a spreadsheet, and it gives me a score of 99.872, which matches what's displayed in the app as 99. Most of my driving is on freeways near San Francisco, and in the city of San Francisco.

I was completely mystified by the Unsafe Following score until I realized that it was the ratio of time<3sec / time<1sec. Allowing more than 3 seconds will not affect your score at all, except that if someone then cuts you off, your score will make a huge jump, because you don't have enough time at less than 3 seconds to cushion it. I was able to reduce my UF score by more than 1% in a single 25 mile drive yesterday, by following at a distance that gave me more than a second's headway, but was also clearly under 3 seconds. Similar considerations apply to the turning and braking scores. You should be able to build up a cushion against getting dinged for aggressive turning simply by going around in a circle pulling 0.3g for a few hours (have fun with that). As for braking, that's more difficult, unless you have a very long downhill grade nearby that you can use to give yourself lots of time decelerating at 0.2g.

One interesting thing about the formula is that it shows exactly how much each factor is weighted. FAD > HB > AT > FCW > UF. A score of 100 really does require getting a zero on every one of these metrics, but you can be very close to 100 and still have it shown as a 99.
Formulas are from Tesla’s blog about safety scores:

View attachment 719023
When I plug in the numbers you gave, your day’s score is 75. It is dominated by your first trip that is 8.24 out of 10.63 miles and had some big hits on hard brake and turning.
View attachment 719024
Is this consistent with what Tesla is showing for you?
For some reason my first day’s score is 77–I’ll take it. I realized that I had been taking the percentages as percentages, i.e., 1/100 of the value that should go into the calculation, so my figures now agree with yours. I wish I knew what happened on that first thing short drive, but so it goes. 100/100 every drive since that day.

Elon can see more than TeslaFi can. 🙂 He says about 1000 people are at 100:

Actually there's more but I can't figure out twitter threading. here's a screenshot
I don't think that's Elon saying only 1000 people have 100, I think that's Elon saying that 1000 people will get the download button, and that those 1000 all have SS100. Could be umpteen batches of 1000 who have SS100 before they move to batches of 1000 who have SS99, etc.

I don't think that's Elon saying only 1000 people have 100, I think that's Elon saying that 1000 people will get the download button, and that those 1000 all have SS100. Could be umpteen batches of 1000 who have SS100 before they move to batches of 1000 who have SS99, etc.
Interesting. Yes I see your point, that would also be a totally valid interpretation of the literal text.

Typical Elon tweet; if it's not flippantly trollish, it's terse to the point of cryptic, open to multiple interpretations, and likely to be superseded by a future whim anyway.