Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still on FW 4.5 getting pressed to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updates to firmware have yet to be required. But if car is handed over to Service have Mgr agree to: 'no upgrades' and put a sticker to that effect on your dash.
--

I am told by the service center that the service manager will not agree to this. There is a mandate which requires Tesla Service Centers to upgrade your vehicle to 5.8 if you bring it in, in particular for the electrical safety feature. In addition, a line item is being inserted into every vehicle's service record asking them to have the cars checked for current firmware. Service centers are calling car owners.

Only way you can keep the upgrade from happening is to not have it serviced... zero exceptions.

I too am still running FW4.5 on my 60. For me stability is king. I have 13,500 miles on the car now and have yet to even have to reboot any of the screens. I also want the lowering suspension because every mile counts when I go on some of my long road trips. I may eventually upgrade when I feel that the user base out there comes to the conclusion that there is a truly superior Firmware version out there. From what I have read about FW5.8, it's not it. I would like 105KW supercharging (currently limited to 70KW on FW4.5), so this is the most compelling reason to update. I think by spring time I might upgrade. I would like to make a pilgrimage to the Tesla factory in California when the coast to coast supercharger network is up and running. Having the fastest charging possible when going across country is a good thing.

I did finally upgrade to FW5.8 last weekend. It is a quite time and knowing that I was going to have to upgrade eventually to get better supercharging, I decided to do it now while I have time to deal with any issues that crop up.

So far it has been mostly bug-free. I had a glitch during charging at work where it did this stop-start thing during the end of the charge. I think it was because it was so cold, just don't know why it didn't put on the battery heater. Also, right now because the frost heaves are so bad, I actually like having the suspension stuck higher. But, I would like to be able to choose to lower it when I want to (like everyone else here).

For those of us that have chosen to wait before upgrading, I have a question for you.

Are you still seeing the update icon and message? Yesterday I noticed that the update icon was gone and this morning the screen didn't ask to schedule my upgrade. I wonder if they just time out or if Tesla pulled it for those of us still on 4.5?

Anyone else notice this?

Geoff
I was about to report in. I am on 5.8 (not 5.8.4) and have been saying No/X to the update prompt. This morning the icon is gone. I thought it might have been because I rebooted my 17" (because the browser froze up). Looks like it's something more broad. Interesting.

And yes, I'm still on 5.8 (car_version=1.49.24) unless the T-button/About and REST are lying.

I am told by the service center that the service manager will not agree to this. There is a mandate which requires Tesla Service Centers to upgrade your vehicle to 5.8 if you bring it in, in particular for the electrical safety feature. In addition, a line item is being inserted into every vehicle's service record asking them to have the cars checked for current firmware. Service centers are calling car owners.

Only way you can keep the upgrade from happening is to not have it serviced... zero exceptions.

What electrical safety feature--I won't be going in for that. Anyway, I just won't bring it in then, which is a PITA but there ya go. Hopefully they'll get around to releasing the next version, which they're one day overdue on ;-), soon....

I was about to report in. I am on 5.8 (not 5.8.4) and have been saying No/X to the update prompt. This morning the icon is gone. I thought it might have been because I rebooted my 17" (because the browser froze up). Looks like it's something more broad. Interesting.

And yes, I'm still on 5.8 (car_version=1.49.24) unless the T-button/About and REST are lying.
The same thing happened to me. I'm on 5.8(.24), and haven't been in 3G or wifi range for 2 weeks. As soon as I hit 3G yesterday, the FW(presumably 5.8.4) got recalled.

So I held on to 4.5 for about 15 months, until this week, when the SC updated me to 5.12. I can confirm that I stopped getting OTA update notices at some point, like when I was a few versions out of date, and it was nice not to be on the firmware roller coaster for some time. 4.5 was rock solid and a trusted friend. Now I need to start reading the stickies again.

So I held on to 4.5 for about 15 months, until this week, when the SC updated me to 5.12. I can confirm that I stopped getting OTA update notices at some point, like when I was a few versions out of date, and it was nice not to be on the firmware roller coaster for some time. 4.5 was rock solid and a trusted friend. Now I need to start reading the stickies again.

I'm very impressed that you held on to 4.5 for so long.. great work