Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have it set up to archive to a Samba share and do not have it configured with my Tesla creds. So far I have not had any problems with my car going to sleep while archiving the data, but that may be because I also have Sentry mode enabled, even when I am at home.

Reactions: ErinBoBerin
Does anyone have any experience with having the Pi migrate the TeslaCam files to a share/NAS without providing Tesla account credentials? I see the option (in the TeslaUSB conf) to provide Tesla account credentials to keep the car awake but personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable providing this.

I bought everything needed to lay down TeslaUSB (marcone branch) but now I'm wondering if I really want to. Part of me wants to just throw together my own cron job or something to migrate data but the same sleeping issue would exist if it was indeed an issue.
The only thing the Tesla login is used for, if provided, is to keep the car awake when necessary for transferring the files. It does thing by calling the Tesla API and sending an appropriate command to the car. That's absolutely no different than you using the Tesla app to do the same.

It's not like the 3rd party services where you provide those credentials and the 3rd party service uses them to generate a token. With the Pi solution, the credentials are never sent anywhere except to the same Tesla API as the mobile app.

Of course, if the videos transfer before the car naturally would go to sleep then none of that is even necessary.

Does anyone have any experience with having the Pi migrate the TeslaCam files to a share/NAS without providing Tesla account credentials? I see the option (in the TeslaUSB conf) to provide Tesla account credentials to keep the car awake but personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable providing this.
All the Tesla credential is used for is to generate an API key; once you have the key, you can purge the credentials from the flash medium.

All the API key is used for is to turn Sentry Mode on and off. Doing so keeps the Pi awake long enough to actually send the Teslacam files to your shared drive/directory. If you have Sentry on at home already, this is entirely unnecessary. If you do not enable this, what will likely happen is, when you get home, the Pi will start uploading camera video files, and abruptly stop when power to the USB port is cut. If you don't want to use the Sentry Mode option, you can simply bring the Pi into the house with you and plug it in. It will happily hum along and copy all the files without needing to use the API at all.

You could power it off a small portable powerbank:
i) Power Pi off the powerbank
ii) Plug the powerbanks charging port into car's USB port.

That way the powerbank will keep the Pi on and also recharge itself when the car is on. Only possible concern would be the heat inside the cabin if you live in a very sunny/hot climate.

Dear all,
first off all thanks a lot for this wonderfool tool that give us possibility to play every day with more toys :)

I just install all and the setup it's finish... but in my conf file I put a wrong value the the folder name (sharename field)
Now I correct this (I hope) in the conf file in root folder and I just run: sudo /etc/rc.local
in order to take a new value for the sharename variable.

But it's no run... it give me: "Detecting whether to update wpa_supplicant.conf"

So a basic question is... how do I run again the setup for the sharename variable to take efect please ?

Thanks in advance
Denis

Code:
ssh pi@teslausb.
sudo -i
/root/bin/setup-teslausb

That will re-run the setup process along with update anything from the repository.

Great... thanks a lot
Will be at next time because now I just make all from the begining :)

Do you know if I can share a folder... for example "Tecla" and then inside at that folder make "TeslaCam" and "TeslaMusic"
If yes... how do I configure the sharename variable please ?
I try export sharename=Tesla\TeslaCam ... but is not work.

Thanks a lot again
Denis

It does not seem to support a "root" share that contains a Cam and a Music directory, but it does support either of:
  • A root share which contains all the camera files and a Music directory, or
  • A separate share for Camera files and Music files
I use the latter option, one share called 'TeslaCam' for video files pushed from the Pi to the share, and one called 'TeslaTunes' for music pushed to the Pi.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Ok... I have do 2 folders like default.

When i run setup again and so i run: /root/bin/setup-teslausb
where the file teslausb_setup_variables.conf must be located please ? ... in the /boot ?

Thanks a lot again
Denis

I have external hard drives connected to a USB hub, connected to an Airport Extreme. They're currently set up so that they are accessible if you have the password to the Airport Extreme (the device password). I was hoping to not have to reconfigure everything to add user accounts.
That may not be using Windows style file shares (CIFS/SMB/Samba) but using AFP (Apple specific protocol) instead? Are you normally accessing that drive from a Mac or a Windows machine when you use only the "device password" ?

According to Using a USB drive with an AirPort base station, the AirPort Extreme supports both AFS and CIFS on Mac-formatted drives and CIFS on Windows-formatted drives.

I haven’t tried using the file sharing on my AirPort Extreme, but if there is no username field there for the disk sharing, it probably doesn’t matter what you enter in the username field on the Pi’s config file. You could try testing the CIFS capabilities with a Windows computer on your local network before trying to configure the Pi.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Maybe this helpt someone. Was looking for an easy solution to download the files off a USB drive

Bought this

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-MediaShare-Wireless-Black-49160/dp/B01GVZ56T2

(paid 10 usd somewhere online).

It acts as an USB drive. Flip the switch on the device and it creates a share which can be connected to in your own network.

Then just fire off this wget (or schedule it in a cron job or batch job) and whenever it finds new footage it will copy it to your local drive (and in my case to a Dropbox in the cloud)

wget -r -nH --cut-dirs=2 --no-parent --reject="index.html*" -nc --user=admin --password=xxxx http://192.168.0.103/data/UsbDisk1/Volume1/TeslaCam/ -P /Users/xxxxx/Dropbox\ \(Persoonlijk\)/TeslaCam