TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone switch from Goodyear RS-A to Michelin Primacy on 19"?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by smd, Sep 1, 2013.

1. smd

smd Member

At 14k miles, my OEM Goodyears on the 19" wheels are starting to get louder. The tread is about half gone.

I'm wondering if anyone has switched to the Michelin Primacy tires that Tesla is now offering as an option and claiming to provide 3% increased range on your charge. Are they really quieter? Is there a loss of handling to go from a high-performance all-season to a grand touring tire of the same size? Current prices at tirerack.com show the Michelin Primacy to be about double the Goodyear RS-A.

Thanks for any opinions and input!

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Am I the only one having trouble being sympathetic here? My first 21s were replaced at 8500.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I have found most Michelin tires are quiet even at low tread depths compared to other brands. However, all tires are noisier as the tread depth gets lower.

4. smd

smd Member

That's why I didn't get 21" to begin with. I was tired to replacing low profile summer tires on my previous sports cars at less than 10K. I figured that I would make the Model S my main car, so I went with the 19"

- - - Updated - - -

I mainly interested in the performance of the Primacy tires, ie handling around corners/curves, compared to the Goodyears. I don't want to give up too much handling by switching, but I am interested because of the increase range with the low rolling resistance of the Michelins.

The other tire I was thinking about for eventual replacements are Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 - really good reviews on tire rack.

5. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

I made the switch. I have about 450 miles on the new tires. My experience is that the car is more quiet. It handles better as well. I made the switch at 20,000 miles. The Goodyears were down the mm. As for range, it's hard for me to tell. I am happy with the switch.

6. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

What was the cost difference vs. replacing with the Goodyears? 3% more efficiency over 20k miles translates to (rough numbers) 10Wh per mile * 20k miles = 200kWh or $22 at my electricity rate... But then again, the quietness might be worth much more than that. But does it help only on good roads or also on the crap surfaces that appear to cover 99+% of US roads?

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Helps on all surfaces, although there's nothing short of extensive Dyanmatting that will silence those roads with really large aggregate sizes.

8. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

I don't pay that much attention to the watt per mile because I am not a performance driver. I have noticed that the car does corner better. The car just feels more solid.

9. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

Considering the increase in range rather than increase in efficiency makes more sense to me. Sinse Tesla charges $10,000 for ~60 more miles, or $167/mile, the 3% increase would be worth a bit over $1000 in range.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Service center is replacing all of my Goodyears with Primacy on Monday free of charge. My P85 shipped with Goodyears (took delivery 2 weeks ago) and service center said they would gladly give me Primacies. I'll let you know what I think!

11. nolngrgrsngslde

I switched to the primacy but only on the back. THe front ones still have half their thread depth. I have done about 17k miles. Thinking about putting the Good years on the back so i am rid of them sooner.