Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switch from Goodyear RS-A to Michelin Primacy on 19"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 14k miles, my OEM Goodyears on the 19" wheels are starting to get louder. The tread is about half gone.

I'm wondering if anyone has switched to the Michelin Primacy tires that Tesla is now offering as an option and claiming to provide 3% increased range on your charge. Are they really quieter? Is there a loss of handling to go from a high-performance all-season to a grand touring tire of the same size? Current prices at tirerack.com show the Michelin Primacy to be about double the Goodyear RS-A.

Thanks for any opinions and input!

I have found most Michelin tires are quiet even at low tread depths compared to other brands. However, all tires are noisier as the tread depth gets lower.

Am I the only one having trouble being sympathetic here? My first 21s were replaced at 8500.

That's why I didn't get 21" to begin with. I was tired to replacing low profile summer tires on my previous sports cars at less than 10K. I figured that I would make the Model S my main car, so I went with the 19"

- - - Updated - - -

I mainly interested in the performance of the Primacy tires, ie handling around corners/curves, compared to the Goodyears. I don't want to give up too much handling by switching, but I am interested because of the increase range with the low rolling resistance of the Michelins.

The other tire I was thinking about for eventual replacements are Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 - really good reviews on tire rack.

I made the switch. I have about 450 miles on the new tires. My experience is that the car is more quiet. It handles better as well. I made the switch at 20,000 miles. The Goodyears were down the mm. As for range, it's hard for me to tell. I am happy with the switch.

I made the switch. I have about 450 miles on the new tires. My experience is that the car is more quiet. It handles better as well. I made the switch at 20,000 miles. The Goodyears were down the mm. As for range, it's hard for me to tell. I am happy with the switch.
What was the cost difference vs. replacing with the Goodyears? 3% more efficiency over 20k miles translates to (rough numbers) 10Wh per mile * 20k miles = 200kWh or $22 at my electricity rate... But then again, the quietness might be worth much more than that. But does it help only on good roads or also on the crap surfaces that appear to cover 99+% of US roads?

What was the cost difference vs. replacing with the Goodyears? 3% more efficiency over 20k miles translates to (rough numbers) 10Wh per mile * 20k miles = 200kWh or $22 at my electricity rate... But then again, the quietness might be worth much more than that. But does it help only on good roads or also on the crap surfaces that appear to cover 99+% of US roads?

Helps on all surfaces, although there's nothing short of extensive Dyanmatting that will silence those roads with really large aggregate sizes.

Considering the increase in range rather than increase in efficiency makes more sense to me. Sinse Tesla charges $10,000 for ~60 more miles, or $167/mile, the 3% increase would be worth a bit over $1000 in range.