Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use AP on normal roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey Tesla heads :)

Had my MX for over a year now and LOVE IT! Seriously best car I have ever owned. Use AP exclusively on my road trips to London which are 3/4 hours and never fails to amaze me.
Question for some of you please, do any of you use AP on normal roads, like in a town or city please?
I understand of course, parked cars and traffic lights etc but if a long stretch of road with clear markings is it ok to use?

I have seen quite a lot of YouTube channels posting themselves driving in cities using AP, but it even states in the MX manual (UK) do not use autopilot in the city or towns.

So what are your thoughts please?

Hey

I do, often use on roads that are not motorways but and I stress but you have to be very mindful that it is t designed for them roads and as such “as you mentioned” parked cars and side roads cause AP to wobble or plain break down.

My advice, if you can use t and you stay alert to avoid issues then why not.

Just don’t turn into one of these people who moan and make YouTube videos about how crap AP is on normal roads, really gets on my baps I mean yeah it’s poop on A and B roads but take your Tesla for a swim and see how good it is at that...

Sorry rant over lol. But yeah you can use it on normal roads that ain’t a motorway :)

Reactions: Badmonk
Hey

I do, often use on roads that are not motorways but and I stress but you have to be very mindful that it is t designed for them roads and as such “as you mentioned” parked cars and side roads cause AP to wobble or plain break down.

My advice, if you can use t and you stay alert to avoid issues then why not.

Just don’t turn into one of these people who moan and make YouTube videos about how crap AP is on normal roads, really gets on my baps I mean yeah it’s poop on A and B roads but take your Tesla for a swim and see how good it is at that...

Sorry rant over lol. But yeah you can use it on normal roads that ain’t a motorway :)

Yeah I hate those videos where people complain about features that are not meant to be used in that particular situation
not working as intended when they are not meant for that anyways lol

As long as no parked cars, and clear road markings then should be fine I think.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah you’ll be fine I drove all the way from top of M1 into to Edinburgh on that long and bendy A road on AP and It handled it perfect I didn’t have to touch it much.

Around town it will be more of a pain but honestly, play with it, see how it goes. As long as you use common sense you’ll be fine.

Sadly it appears common sense isn’t a common trait of all tesla owners judging by some of the stuff you see lol

Reactions: Badmonk
Yeah you’ll be fine I drove all the way from top of M1 into to Edinburgh on that long and bendy A road on AP and It handled it perfect I didn’t have to touch it much.

Around town it will be more of a pain but honestly, play with it, see how it goes. As long as you use common sense you’ll be fine.

Sadly it appears common sense isn’t a common trait of all tesla owners judging by some of the stuff you see lol
Thanks again for replying. :)