Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP makes it so relaxing to drive!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title is sarcastic.

Here is my actual daily use of AP. I have a 16 mile stretch of highway as part my daily commute each way. Easy drive, no congestion, 55 mph the entire way.

Cruise set to 63 mph, so slower than average. I tried to pay attention to my trip yesterday and here is what I observed:

I had to manually disengage AP 5 or 6 times in order to go around slower traffic, change lanes, change back, then re-engage autopilot. Other companies allow this to be done without disengaging/re-engaging. Not user friendly at all, and significantly inferior to competitors.

Despite manually disengaging AP 5-6 times thereby reducing the number of nags I would have gotten, I got nagged 15 times during the 16 mile stretch.

So during the ~14 minutes it takes to drive that stretch, 15 nags + 5-6 disengage/re-engage. How relaxing. That is laughably terrible.

Fix the constant nagging. Others do it. Fix the constant manual disengage/re-engage in order to drive completely normal and pass people/make lane changes. Competitors base systems do this, so in before "just pay $6,000 for EAP".

AP, in terms of making even a 15 minute easy highway drive, is more of a nuisance than not using it.

I don’t get nagged because I show the system I’m paying attention. Would you say the same for a competitor’s system that you didn’t keep looking forward for?

AP is the included, basic feature set. You can choose not to pay for the available feature set that includes even changing lanes for you (whether automatically choosing to initiate the lane change or changing lanes for you automatically when you initiate the lane change) and doesn’t disengage the system. Do you compare luxury car options to included budget car manufacturers?

Title is sarcastic.

Here is my actual daily use of AP. I have a 16 mile stretch of highway as part my daily commute each way. Easy drive, no congestion, 55 mph the entire way.

Cruise set to 63 mph, so slower than average. I tried to pay attention to my trip yesterday and here is what I observed:

I had to manually disengage AP 5 or 6 times in order to go around slower traffic, change lanes, change back, then re-engage autopilot. Other companies allow this to be done without disengaging/re-engaging. Not user friendly at all, and significantly inferior to competitors.

Despite manually disengaging AP 5-6 times thereby reducing the number of nags I would have gotten, I got nagged 15 times during the 16 mile stretch.

So during the ~14 minutes it takes to drive that stretch, 15 nags + 5-6 disengage/re-engage. How relaxing. That is laughably terrible.

Fix the constant nagging. Others do it. Fix the constant manual disengage/re-engage in order to drive completely normal and pass people/make lane changes. Competitors base systems do this, so in before "just pay $6,000 for EAP".

AP, in terms of making even a 15 minute easy highway drive, is more of a nuisance than not using it.
All that plus poor distance judging causing abrupt braking and slow acceleration in stop and go, forced auto wipers, and not being able to deviate from center of the lane without disengaging autopilot all make me hardly ever use it.

Title is sarcastic.

troll.
You're comparing AP to AC of other brands.
Engage TAAC instead of AP and you're free to roam across any lanes, or accelerate as you wish
TAAC actually works from 0 MPH, where as any their adaptive cruise on the marked needs at least 30 mph.

troll.
Engage TAAC instead of AP and you're free to roam across any lanes, or accelerate as you wish
TAAC actually works from 0 MPH, where as any their adaptive cruise on the marked needs at least 30 mph.
Things have changed a lot in even the last couple years.

Almost everyone else has ACC with stop and go down to 0mph. Everyone else has lane centering that lets you change lanes without having to disengage and re-engage. Everyone else has either capacitive steering wheels or eye tracking or just allows for minor steering corrections without having to fight against the wheel to show you’re active and alert.

Basic Autopilot has fallen behind standard features of other automakers. Other even include a lot of EAP features as standard like automatic or assisted lane changes, automatic parking and remote parking.

I drove a loaner M3 the other weekend while the Y was in the shop. Got to try out EAP. It was awesome. I'd pay $1000 tomorrow for it, maybe $1500 (would chat with wife first) $6k? that's just silly.

I wonder if anyone is doing the math on the uptake of lower priced EAP. If they had 90% uptake at $1000 I bet they make a lot more $$$. Their marginal cost right now is close to $0 to let us have it, so IDK what the hold up is.

Sounds like you're talking about EAP or FSD, not the included AP? What do you think is causing the nags?
I was talking about all of the above. Granted, I haven’t used basic in recent months, but did last year. As long as I applied the slight torque required, I wasn’t ever nagged. If you’re still getting nagged while applying enough torque to the steering wheel, I’d get another experienced Tesla driver to check and/or make a service appointment.

As for the rest, it’s cherry picking (and ignoring the available options for purchase). You could just as well say basic AP is more advanced than all other competitors and has been able to autosteer on windy roads for years, so why are others still so far behind?

Things have changed a lot in even the last couple years.

Almost everyone else has ACC with stop and go down to 0mph. Everyone else has lane centering that lets you change lanes without having to disengage and re-engage. Everyone else has either capacitive steering wheels or eye tracking or just allows for minor steering corrections without having to fight against the wheel to show you’re active and alert.

Basic Autopilot has fallen behind standard features of other automakers. Other even include a lot of EAP features as standard like automatic or assisted lane changes, automatic parking and remote parking.
still - basic AP will "drive" on any surface anywhere, where "the others" require specific condition,
Not trying to glorify Tesla - its often irritating to me, and my wife won't even use the EAP, or basic autopilot,
but it is in a different league. Comparing it to legacy options is apples to oranges

Reactions: WyoDude
still - basic AP will "drive" on any surface anywhere, where "the others" require specific condition,
Not trying to glorify Tesla - its often irritating to me, and my wife won't even use the EAP, or basic autopilot,
but it is in a different league. Comparing it to legacy options is apples to oranges
It will not “drive” anywhere and everywhere. Plenty of places where I get “autosteer unavailable” when it can’t see lane lines or edges well. Same as any other system.

It does follow curves better than others, but again even the last couple years these competitor systems have vastly improved.

Reactions: TesslaBull
I don’t get nagged because I show the system I’m paying attention. Would you say the same for a competitor’s system that you didn’t keep looking forward for?

AP is the included, basic feature set. You can choose not to pay for the available feature set that includes even changing lanes for you (whether automatically choosing to initiate the lane change or changing lanes for you automatically when you initiate the lane change) and doesn’t disengage the system. Do you compare luxury car options to included budget car manufacturers?
Our arguably lower luxury status 2022 Kia Niro EV, with its free of extra charge driver assist, allows manual lane change without disengaging lane keep assist. So as you approach slow traffic, you active the turn signal, perform a manual lane change while lane keep assist automatically pauses, then lane keep assist automatically resumes after the manual lane change. No disengage, no re-engage. Vastly superior user experience to Tesla's basic AP. For those not living with blinders and rose colored glasses, this is how many(most) others work. As it should be. Tesla is attempting, as well as claiming, to offer superior driver assistance. This is a glaring weakness that makes Tesla's basic AP vastly inferior to competitors.

Pros: Tesla keeps the car centered better than our Kia. The Kia tends to drift side to side within the lane a bit more. But lane changes are much easier.

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
troll.
Our cheaper Kia Niro EV's free, included lane keep asset is better than Tesla's AP in some ways. As most companies now allow, you can do manual lane changes to pass(or whatever), and lane keep assist automatically puases to allow the lane change, then resumes automatically once centered in the lane again. Ridiculous that Tesla does not operate this way. I'm a Tesla fan. I spent $60,000 on one of their cars and own their stock both in my index funds, and as the only single stock I own. But I'm not a blindly devoted fanboy. AP's basic functionality is lacking and is inferior to others.

Kia's lane keep assist is not limited to where it works.

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
Our cheaper Kia Niro EV's free, included lane keep asset is better than Tesla's AP in some ways. As most companies now allow, you can do manual lane changes to pass(or whatever), and lane keep assist automatically puases to allow the lane change, then resumes automatically once centered in the lane again. Ridiculous that Tesla does not operate this way. I'm a Tesla fan. I spent $60,000 on one of their cars and own their stock both in my index funds, and as the only single stock I own. But I'm not a blindly devoted fanboy. AP's basic functionality is lacking and is inferior to others.

Sounds like an easy fix for OTA update.
I haven't driven any recently build cars to investigate the new tech, but my close friend just purchased a near 200K Porsche, and near 80K Acura - both are still in the late 2000's in terms of tech ( unless one counts the amount of buttons available as tech defining factor )

Not a blind fanboy, like you own Tesla stock, but the amount of teslabashing around is mind boggling.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Sounds like an easy fix for OTA update.
I haven't driven any recently build cars to investigate the new tech, but my close friend just purchased a near 200K Porsche, and near 80K Acura - both are still in the late 2000's in terms of tech ( unless one counts the amount of buttons available as tech defining factor )

Not a blind fanboy, like you own Tesla stock, but the amount of teslabashing around is mind boggling.
Being willing to admit a weakness of a product is not bashing, especially when it is involving basic features that the competition is doing a better job at. Tesla does some things really really well. Fantastic actually. I get annoyed every time I drive our Kia as I always forget to turn the car off or take the key with me, or have to manually press a button to turn the car on/off or lock/unlock the car etc etc. Tesla, for the most part, just does things better. So when they lag significantly, it stands out. Manual lane changes without disengaging basic lane keep assist is incredibly convenient, user friendly, and is commonly offered.

I wonder if manual lane change capability(without disengaging AP) could be added with just a software update. Maybe? Seems like it should. I mean, it would simply be: turn signal, AP pause, resume when new lane is centered.

Being willing to admit a weakness of a product is not bashing, especially when it is involving basic features that the competition is doing a better job at. Tesla does some things really really well. Fantastic actually. I get annoyed every time I drive our Kia as I always forget to turn the car off or take the key with me, or have to manually press a button to turn the car on/off or lock/unlock the car etc etc. Tesla, for the most part, just does things better. So when they lag significantly, it stands out. Manual lane changes without disengaging basic lane keep assist is incredibly convenient, user friendly, and is commonly offered.
I agree with you. Tesla isn't perfect.
The windshield wiper control is just odd - my major complaint
Luckily the latest OTA vastly fixed it ( 2023.12.1.1) .

that's odd,
I don't apply any force, just lightly rest my hand while my elbow sits on the center compartment or door,
No nagging at all
Oh, so now you're saying my little girly hands and dainty arms are too wimpy for Tesla to recognize. We can't all have big gorilla hands like you! Haha just kidding.

Ok, so when I commute to work Monday, I'll make it a point to keep hand(s) on the wheel and see if it reduces the amount of nags I get. I can see that hands free AP without nags would require additional hardware in the form of a camera to monitor eye movement or whatever. I think this is how competitors allow it.

I'm pretty sure that basic AP still does require lane lines to engage. That's the way it was for me until I activated FSD beta in December. AP would not engage autosteer on completely unstriped residential roads (whether or not you have purchased FSD or EAP), but FSD beta will do so.

That said, I drove for over a year on "suburban" AP with the FSD enhancements of assisted lane change and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. I also drove my son's car with unenhanced AP. I enjoyed aP very much and I am unaware of any other make that will do as well.