Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP makes it so relaxing to drive!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just another update regarding my latest commute. 16 miles each way on the highway. Resting one hand gently on the wheel, I got two nags on the way to work, and none on the way back. I've been holding the wheel at either 8 o'clock or 4 o'clock which probably does a good job of letting the car sense a bit of pressure, but I did 5 o'clock with my arm in my lap(probably less turning pressure/resistance), and still worked well.

Also, was in the right lane when the right line went away completely due to an exit ramp for a good several hundred yards and the car held the lane perfectly as if the line had not disappeared.

When you get a nag, you turn the wheel a bit to cancel it, right? So that's the amount of force that needs to be applied. I can't imagine actually resting weight on the steering wheel because that sucker could start turning fast. Tesla has eliminated most of the crazy jerking of the steering wheel, but it still sometimes happens.

Like most people, I leave the weight of my arm on my leg. Then I grip the wheel between thumb and the side of my index finger at roughly around 5 or 7 o'clock. Or, per @Supcom, around 4 or 8. From there, I nudge the wheel back and forth at intervals so that I'm tripping the torque sensor. On my Model 3 there is a small amount of play in the steering wheel before I bump into the resistance of the sensor. Sometimes I get lazy in my nudging and don't push hard enough and end up with a nag.
I've made it a point to *not* do any active nudging and just keeping my hand totally relaxed on the wheel, and I've been getting close to zero nags during my short commute consisting of about 32 round trip AP miles.

When you get a nag, you turn the wheel a bit to cancel it, right? So that's the amount of force that needs to be applied. I can't imagine actually resting weight on the steering wheel because that sucker could start turning fast. Tesla has eliminated most of the crazy jerking of the steering wheel, but it still sometimes happens.

Like most people, I leave the weight of my arm on my leg. Then I grip the wheel between thumb and the side of my index finger at roughly around 5 or 7 o'clock. Or, per @Supcom, around 4 or 8. From there, I nudge the wheel back and forth at intervals so that I'm tripping the torque sensor. On my Model 3 there is a small amount of play in the steering wheel before I bump into the resistance of the sensor. Sometimes I get lazy in my nudging and don't push hard enough and end up with a nag.

in my experience, the "required weight" to prevent nag is substantially smaller than the one needing to be applied once the nag happens.
Im a small guy, and all I do is this : elbow resting on center compartment or door, the forearm weight hangs freely on the wheel by the fingers without applying any muscle force. That proves to be plenty as long as I'm at 8 or 4 - never get nags.
I do feel the everlasting small corrections autopilot does as the car moves but don't even try to counter it

OP blasts AP, only to come back and report several times it works great and they weren’t operating the car properly/safely and seem unable to read the message that tells you to keep your hand on the wheel while operating AP.

No feature can fix the real problem here.

Reactions: Yelobird
OP blasts AP, only to come back and report several times it works great and they weren’t operating the car properly/safely and seem unable to read the message that tells you to keep your hand on the wheel while operating AP.

Well, so many humans shoot from the hip first. You gotta see that coming here with the complaint was eye opening. TMC community for the win, including OP.

For me personally, the thread was helpful. Initially, I noticed I was getting some nags, whatever the reason might have been. I decided to play close attention to really determine how big of an issue, or non-issue, it may have been. My initial test was done without hands on wheel...upon posting and getting feedback, it caused me to re-evaluate how I was testing. Despite your sarcastic comment regarding my inability to read a warning message, I initially didn't realize that the car can, to some level of effectiveness, *know* whether hands were on the wheel or not. I know the car *says* keep the hands on wheel, but assumed this was merely for safety/cya/legal reasons. My intent was to see the true ease of use of the system. I knew that applying pressure *after* getting a nag made the car happy, but was not aware that actually keeping a hand on the wheel would significantly reduce the number of nags. Once I saw people posting much different results/experience, I changed my test procedure and *changed my mind*.........perhaps your preference would be for people to be closed minded and stick with their initial assumption despite new evidence. To me, this is a win.

Now just need manual lane change improved and AP will be mostly great.

For me personally, the thread was helpful. Initially, I noticed I was getting some nags, whatever the reason might have been. I decided to play close attention to really determine how big of an issue, or non-issue, it may have been. My initial test was done without hands on wheel...upon posting and getting feedback, it caused me to re-evaluate how I was testing. Despite your sarcastic comment regarding my inability to read a warning message, I initially didn't realize that the car can, to some level of effectiveness, *know* whether hands were on the wheel or not. I know the car *says* keep the hands on wheel, but assumed this was merely for safety/cya/legal reasons. My intent was to see the true ease of use of the system. I knew that applying pressure *after* getting a nag made the car happy, but was not aware that actually keeping a hand on the wheel would significantly reduce the number of nags. Once I saw people posting much different results/experience, I changed my test procedure and *changed my mind*.........perhaps your preference would be for people to be closed minded and stick with their initial assumption despite new evidence. To me, this is a win.

Now just need manual lane change improved and AP will be mostly great.

reading the free available manual would resolve Soooo many of these posts. Or possibly the rather large warning image they offer.
IMG_0551.jpeg

Reactions: WyoDude
Tesla should offer EAP Basic and EAP Pro.

Basic: $1000, lets you change lanes and manual summon.

Pro, (just like EAP now): adds NoA, Full Summon (when it works), and parking, or whatever.

Maybe even a more a la carte menu, people would gradually add features all the time, dropping $1000 every couple months, probably end up buying the full kit in pieces over time. Call it the hide it from the SO option?

I can justify smaller upgrades easily, but biting off that big chunk? I would never hear the end of it: "we could have taken 2 more trips to Costa Rica, and you spent it on software for the car that doesn't even work yet? What is wrong with you?"

Tesla should offer EAP Basic and EAP Pro.

Basic: $1000, lets you change lanes and manual summon.

Pro, (just like EAP now): adds NoA, Full Summon (when it works), and parking, or whatever.

Maybe even a more a la carte menu, people would gradually add features all the time, dropping $1000 every couple months, probably end up buying the full kit in pieces over time. Call it the hide it from the SO option?

I can justify smaller upgrades easily, but biting off that big chunk? I would never hear the end of it: "we could have taken 2 more trips to Costa Rica, and you spent it on software for the car that doesn't even work yet? What is wrong with you?"
A la Carte would be my vote. I’d love to buy just NOA

Reactions: OxBrew
. Once I saw people posting much different results/experience, I changed my test procedure and *changed my mind*.........perhaps your preference would be for people to be closed minded and stick with their initial assumption despite new evidence. To me, this is a win.
Ha, you can try play this off like you’re employing the scientific method to test hypothesis and whatever nonsense and that this somehow about me.

You clearly weren’t operating your vehicle properly, we’re frustrated and spouted off a rant and then a bunch of people gave you the same info you could have gotten by:
A. Reading the manual
B. Googling this
C. Searching this forum (which you’ve been apart of for 6 months and have engaged with hundreds of times) and has soooo many posts that contain all this information

Happy you learned and this was helpful.

Hopefully next time your scientific process will lead you to the far easier solutions or at the very least posing a question that isn’t wrapped in inaccurate diatribe.

Reactions: buckets0fun