Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the Alloygator rim protectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of purchasing these and getting them professionally installed from a tire place. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them. They seem to get pretty good reviews, but it sounds like the tires need to be deflated first in order to install these. I always seem to hit a curb at least once in a cars lifetime so I figure they'll pay for themselves eventually...

https://www.amazon.com/Alloygator-Protection-Protector-Excellent-Aftermarket/dp/B0153QY0SS/

I use them and have been very happy. Get the black ones and you can't even see them until you get really close. The only reason they could come off is if the installer was in a hurry and didn't install/glue them properly. We have over 50,000 miles with them and no issues.

I installed them myself. If you are mechanical at all you can do it. Just follow the instructions. You do need to deflate the tire, trim the alloy gator to length, and use a rubber mallet to whack it in.

The only downside is that you have to replace them when you replace tires as it would be a nightmare for the tire shop to keep it in place while installing a new tire.

i never really understood whats the point of these other than the vendors making some easy money. i can only see these being useful if you were to hit a curb at a very low speed and at certain angle. but i dont see how the cost is justified. you can get basic silver wheel repaired for as low as $50-75

Well, they help with clipping curbs in parking garages or parallel parking. Once you've clipped said curbs the alloy gators hide the damage and prevent further damage. They install very quickly vs having to be without your car while you send wheels off to be repaired, pay for tires to be R&R'd, etc.