Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the modern spare yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes; that was a reply to my question. I've ordered one. I guess I'll need to check it when it comes in against what they way on the website. And I've figured out how you disable traction control. I've also ordered a tire patch kit. With all that prep I'm hoping that fate will spare me any flats.

After Sandy in 2012, we put in a 20kw whole house natural gas generator with an automatic transfer switch. Have only had a couple small outages since then.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I may be wrong here, but the Modern Spare should not affect the driving ( should not have to change the traction control settings) as tire height is the same, the wheel may be smaller but it compensates that by changing the aspect ratio of the tire so that it matches the original tire outer diameter. I am planning to go on a trip UT, AZ national parks and the Navajo nation monument valley so I am planning to order a Modern Spare kit which comes with 4000 Lbs scissor jack. In addition to all that has been mentioned in the previous posts, I am not sure how easy will it be to lift the 5400 lbs MX using the small ratcheting handle. I have AAA service so if the emergency happens in an area where Cell ph connectivity is there, I will call them to jack up the MX and if there is no cell Ph connectivity, then I am on my own with my Scissor jack, so wish me luck if I need to use it.

I may be wrong here, but the Modern Spare should not affect the driving ( should not have to change the traction control settings) as tire height is the same, the wheel may be smaller but it compensates that by changing the aspect ratio of the tire so that it matches the original tire outer diameter. I am planning to go on a trip UT, AZ national parks and the Navajo nation monument valley so I am planning to order a Modern Spare kit which comes with 4000 Lbs scissor jack. In addition to all that has been mentioned in the previous posts, I am not sure how easy will it be to lift the 5400 lbs MX using the small ratcheting handle. I have AAA service so if the emergency happens in an area where Cell ph connectivity is there, I will call them to jack up the MX and if there is no cell Ph connectivity, then I am on my own with my Scissor jack, so wish me luck if I need to use it.
That can't be right for the MY. They sell the same size spare for all three wheel/tire sizes

That can't be right for the MY. They sell the same size spare for all three wheel/tire sizes
You cannot drive with a smaller height tire mounted in one of the wheels in a car - what modern spare provides is a tire with same over all height but with lesser width ( thinner tire) , if you compare/measure you will see the difference. That is why in MX, you need to mount a spacer to compensate for the thinner tire. and prevent it from interfering with the brake calipers in the rear wheel.

Last edited:
Not according to the ModernSpare website. They do say it's close enough. While they don't definitively say it's different, they certainly aren't claiming it's the same. I'd also note that you set the wheel size in the car. Not sure why that you be if the rolling diameter was identical.

I'd also note that I don't think I've ever seen a space save tire / doughnut that was as tall as the regular tire for the vehicle.

from the FAQ (blue bold is mine)
Wheel Size - Will the 18-inch Modern Spare wheel work with my 19-inch or 20-inch factory wheels?

Yes.
The most important measurement of any spare tire/wheel combination is the overall or “rolling diameter” of the tire (measured total height from tread to tread). In most cases, the rolling diameter of our spare tire is a close match to that of your factory tires. Carmakers allow for safe variations in spare tire sizes without causing strain on your vehicle’s drivetrain. If your factory tires are slightly taller or shorter than your Modern Spare tire, we have engineered that spare to work well with your vehicle without concerns of compatibility.
Check out the video below on tire aspect ratio and wheel size.

they say the space is for the brake caliper

Tesla Model X Wheel Spacer – Modern Spare​

$40.00
PRODUCT DETAILS :
  • Bolt-On Style 2-Inch Spacer
  • Machined Billet Aluminum
  • Needed Only For Car Models Specified To Require More Brake Caliper Clearance
  • Lug Nuts Included
Tesla Model X Wheel Spacer - Modern Spare quantity

From the ModernSpare Home page
Likewise, these typical factory-supplied spares have a much smaller rolling diameter compared to the vehicle’s factory tire size.
they go on to say
Our kit is designed to better match the rolling diameter of your vehicle’s factory tires. This prevents excess strain on your vehicle’s drivetrain.

Again, they aren't definitive but I think a reasonable interretation would be that they are claiming to be closer and therefore better.

Yes I agree that the modern spare tire rolling diameter may not be exact but will be within driving spec of Tesla.
I just measured the rolling diameter of the tire my MX it is 28.5" and the modern spare is also with the same rolling diameter but with lesser width .
From Modern spare tire specs for MX
  • Properly Sized Tire With A 28.5” Rolling Diameter For Safe Extended Use.
    • 18×4 Durable Aluminum Alloy Wheel With 5x120mm Bolt Pattern

Last edited:
Thanks for this update. I have had one on order since early June and was wondering what the status was.
I have had one on order since June also. Originally was supposed to ship early August. I keep contacting them and getting different reasons why it is delayed. Shipment is coming in, shipment was held by customs, etc. They keep telling me one more week. I found a similar thread from a Camaro forum in 2018 where someone's order took months. Maybe they show on their website one month out but in reality they wait until they get X orders then make a bulk order to China which then takes awhile to receive???

I have had one on order since June also. Originally was supposed to ship early August. I keep contacting them and getting different reasons why it is delayed. Shipment is coming in, shipment was held by customs, etc. They keep telling me one more week. I found a similar thread from a Camaro forum in 2018 where someone's order took months. Maybe they show on their website one month out but in reality they wait until they get X orders then make a bulk order to China which then takes awhile to receive???
Well I tried to help. I ordered mine after you