Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the modern spare yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should only use the lift pad (puck) with a floor jack that has a steel cup at the end of the lift arm. The Modern Spare kit comes with a scissor jack. The scissor jack should not be used with the lift pad as the lift pad could slip off the flat top of the scissor jack. When the lift pad is captured by the steel cup of a floor jack it can't slip off the jack.

There is an eBay seller who lists an adapter (~$12) for using a scissor jack to raise a Tesla vehicle. Just some basic hardware components including a steel plate, a few bolts, and a bolt with a nylon sleeve that goes into the Tesla's lift point.

Did you do a search? There are several threads about Modern Spare.

Yikes! A scissor jack? Is someone making one that is safe? Aren't they still called "widow makers"?
Not slamming the Modern Spare jack, if it's decent quality. In my experience, they...just..aren't...beefy...enough.

I've seen threads and recommendations but not real life usage. Modern Spare claims the top of the jack obviates the need for a puck but your point about slipping off is good.

The scissor jack claim is 3000 lb. I certainly wouldn't under one (or even with a floor hydraulic, jack stands only) but seems like it's safe enough to be on the side changing a tire.

Thanks for the visual with the Modern Spare scissor jack. I still would be uncomfortable, but as long as your on a perfectly flat surface, I guess it's safe enough. My problem is the tendency for scissor jacks to twist/lean if the jack isn't rising exactly vertical.

I just purchased a small shop jack. 33 lbs, aluminum. Fits very nicely in the deep rear well. Overkill, for sure, but better than a jack collapsing under a 4500lb. car.

(My fear of scissor jacks, though, is probably very outdated, going back to OEM jacks in the 1980s. Pure garbage.)

I just purchased a small shop jack. 33 lbs, aluminum. Fits very nicely in the deep rear well. Overkill, for sure, but better than a jack collapsing under a 4500lb. car.

(My fear of scissor jacks, though, is probably very outdated, going back to OEM jacks in the 1980s. Pure garbage.)

Harbor Freight sells many different models of floor jack at different price points. The problem with all of the imported floor jacks is that you can't repair/rebuild the piston mechanism when the time comes.

According to the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 63:

To turn off Traction Control (only turns off until the next time you drive.)

On Rear-Wheel Drive vehicles, turn off traction control
and allow the wheels to spin by touching Controls >
Driving > Slip Start.

On All-Wheel Drive vehicles, you can choose one of
these options, depending on the circumstances:

• Slip Start is designed to make it easier to dislodge
Model Y when stuck in mud, snow, ice, etc. Turning
on Slip Start allows the wheels to spin, making it
possible to rock Model Y out of a situation in which
the wheels are stuck.

• Off-Road Assist is designed to provide overall
improvements when driving off-road. In addition to
allowing the wheels to spin, Off-Road Assist
balances the torque between the front and rear
motors to optimize traction. Off-Road Assist
improves traction on rough and soft surfaces where
one side of the vehicle may lose traction while the
other side still has traction. When Off-Road Assist is
on, the accelerator pedal provides more gradual
torque, which is useful for crawling at low speeds
(for example, over rocky surfaces). When enabled,
OFF-ROAD displays on the touchscreen above the
driving speed.

Yes, I read that but didn't think it was definitive. And was confused particularly by the slip start. How does allowing wheels to spin get them unstuck?

But I guess the bottom line is whether one or both of these is what one would do when putting on a modern spare.

Not to dredge up an old topic but I saw that EV Dave posted saying Modern Spare sent him the incorrect spare tire size.

Attachments

• evdave.PNG
    evdave.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 111