Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone used DIY Ceramic Costing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’m waiting for my model 3 to be delivered and was looking at ceramic coatings.

eurocarparts have got the product below at 50% off.

has anyone used this or a similar product?

I’m thinking it can’t do any harm can it?

ive bought the car in white trying to keep it shiny and clean for as long as possible

thanks

auto finesse ceramic

Hi

I’m waiting for my model 3 to be delivered and was looking at ceramic coatings.

eurocarparts have got the product below at 50% off.

has anyone used this or a similar product?

I’m thinking it can’t do any harm can it?

ive bought the car in white trying to keep it shiny and clean for as long as possible

thanks

auto finesse ceramic

I ended up using AutoGlym HD ceramic on the paintwork, very easy to apply and remove. It is very hard to get it wrong, so if it over cures then it is easy to remove.

I did use AutoFinesse Caramics for the glass, easy to apply with the wipes, and has some crazy beading!

26ABE1CE-4540-4F66-A6D8-C875947F7F64.JPG

I used auto ceramics for my winter wheels. They were brand new so easy to prep. A different story to preparing a car for whole body ceramic. Thats where the money goes in a professional ceramic coating job. I've not had a chance to give the wheels a close inspection since coating.

If you haven't already done so, I think you need to ask yourself what you want ceramic coating for. If its just for the hydrophobic beading, there are a number of products that do a decent job without going the whole hog and wont add more than a few minutes on top of a car wash. I personally use Autoglym Polar Seal for additional last wash stage (prior to dry) snow foams on, rinses off. Adds 10 minutes tops to the wash process.

The reason I went for a pro job on the ceramic is I figured it’s going to lock in whatever junk is on the paint, so I wanted their expertise in absolutely minimising this.

Hence there may not be a huge benefit in DIY-ing if it’s just going to lock in deposits on the paint. So recommend you at least do a full decontaminate wash (traffic film remover, something like Meguiars Hyper Wash or equivalent), then clay bar, then a full wash with decent stuff before applying the ceramic product. You could do this method and just try one of the hydrophobic/“ceramic” type sprays first before committing to the full job of coating the whole car with a more dedicated product.

>>You could do this method and just try one of the hydrophobic/“ceramic” type sprays first before committing to the full job of coating the whole car with a more dedicated product.<<

I would be careful with that - the Pro ceramic might be incompatible with the underlying DIY job! I would either commit to the DIY or Pro at the start.

Frankly I think all the stuff about clay barring etc is a bit overblown for a newish car. Yes, any coating will seal in imperfections but most people aren't looking for a trophy winning car, just one that looks great. And a speck of dust or two sealed in will be indistinguishable from the specks you get on the first trip after doing it!

>>You could do this method and just try one of the hydrophobic/“ceramic” type sprays first before committing to the full job of coating the whole car with a more dedicated product.<<

I would be careful with that - the Pro ceramic might be incompatible with the underlying DIY job! I would either commit to the DIY or Pro at the start.

Frankly I think all the stuff about clay barring etc is a bit overblown for a newish car. Yes, any coating will seal in imperfections but most people aren't looking for a trophy winning car, just one that looks great. And a speck of dust or two sealed in will be indistinguishable from the specks you get on the first trip after doing it!

You are right! I did mine upon arrival and nothing came off of the bodywork at all!

I did mine a few days after delivery.
A foam clean followed by a clay bar rub then a shampoo wash & polish & finally Drexlar ceramic coating.
You need to leave several hours before applying the sealing coat & again before getting wet.

Attachments

• 20201030_094219.jpg
    20201030_094219.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201030_094204.jpg
    20201030_094204.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Medved_77