Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone waiting for tonight's financials before pulling the trigger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been ready to order a LR for the last few weeks but I want to see the forward guidance announcements tonight just in case I miss the boat on anything new. Am I crazy? Is anyone else waiting for news?

I know trying to time the purchase for features is like trying to time the stock market, but FOMO is real!

I don't recall where I read it but the predictions for M3 are, Gigafactory will ramp up production to 3k cars a week, FSD will become a subscription model eventually. And they are targeting 5k model Ys per week by the end of Q3. Credit rating is supposed to improve this Q.

I'm sure they won't announce anything that is going to change my plans. I think I'm just afraid to cross the Rubicon. I've been driving a Leaf for three years and as much as I want the Tesla it is hard to pry open my wallet and spend the $50k.

I'm also hoping if I can delay long enough to get a late March delivery they might throw in a paint upgrade or other goody to get me in a car before April 1.

I was wondering the same thing before I ordered my M3 last week. There are plenty articles on Forbes etc. where they say Tesla is going to be a $0 stock "soon".
I don't believe it given their strategy. Sure they'll have more competition but so far Tesla has managed to stay ahead.
They got my vote of confidence at least.

Well I placed my order anyway. I can always back out if something drastic happens. I forgot my referral code so hopefully they can add it. I called the 888 number and got the number for someone on the sales team. She said she'll add it if I call back Friday since my order hasn't made its way through their system yet.

Reactions: dmurphy
It’s hit and miss on adding the referral code after the fact. Don’t be surprised if they say it’s been added, but it never shows up.

Yeah I read that and almost cancelled my order and re-ordered. I don't know that the 1000 miles of charging is worth $100 though so I'll just roll the dice. It's my first time ordering and I didn't realize they make you use the link up front. I assumed I could punch it into the accounts page. Rookie mistake.

Yeah I read that and almost cancelled my order and re-ordered. I don't know that the 1000 miles of charging is worth $100 though so I'll just roll the dice. It's my first time ordering and I didn't realize they make you use the link up front. I assumed I could punch it into the accounts page. Rookie mistake.

I added the referral code after I placed the order, I was able to contact my "Tesla Advisor" and get that code added. I confirmed with the person whose code I used, they get a notification when the code they gave you gets added. Also I think there is an email address where you can email the referral code and it will reply back when its added, but I did not used that method.

Well I placed my order anyway. I can always back out if something drastic happens. I forgot my referral code so hopefully they can add it. I called the 888 number and got the number for someone on the sales team. She said she'll add it if I call back Friday since my order hasn't made its way through their system yet.

Congratulations on your Model 3! Won't regret it. And since your Model 3 hasn't been built yet, if there are any changes announced, you'll have the new stuff at your disposal.

As a point - when I ordered mine in early April last year; Tesla adjusted prices less than a week later. My specific configuration dropped by $2,500... Tesla proactively called me and adjusted the price. All good - before or after the earnings call - your reservation is good to go!

You should cancel the order and create a new one via the referral code. Otherwise best to assume you won't get it.

Buy some Calls today, if ER are all positive, you will sell those calls tomorrow and order your new Tesla, it will be cheaper for sure ;).

Maybe, but be aware of the old Stock market adage of "buy on rumor, sell on news".

Difficult to know whether Friday's price will be higher or lower than yesterday's price, but often a stock will drop after earnings announcement even on good news.

Im waiting for the price to drop, either via actual cash value, or via added features to the vehicle while price remains the same. If it doesnt happen this quarter, then Ill wait until next quarter. Model Y will change things for sure. The several record setting quarters in a row, in order to keep that up they will need to provide motivation to buyers. From what I understand Elon is personally vested in stock price because at certain point he gets 30% (or something like that of Tesla, making him the richest person on the planet), but for that to happen he has to keep stock where it is or keep increasing it. Car sales is the main way to do that.

The trigger point for me is when the EV credit is effectively reinstated via a price drop. I dunno, maybe Im the only one that is ok with waiting a few months or even a year before buying one. I have a perfectly working car now.

Huge waiting motivator for me is the new battery tech that is supposed to start going into the cars this summer. So all things considered (current car is fine, and free), new battery tech that is supposed to last twice as long (chemical structure not charge), and potential price drops, are all making it easy to wait.

I personally do not see any price increases because then Model 3 would be more expensive than the roomier and newer Model Y. And increasing price on both seems like stock suicide. If anything I can see Model 3 price going down once Model Y starts delivery. Model Y will sell itself by being new and shiny. Model 3 sales will keep up through motivations. Currently 3 and Y are priced surprisingly close together. Add cybertruck to all this, I see Model 3 needing a lot of boost to keep selling like hot cakes when people will have 3 choices for around the same price instead of the only choice.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Im waiting for the price to drop, either via actual cash value, or via added features to the vehicle while price remains the same. If it doesnt happen this quarter, then Ill wait until next quarter. Model Y will change things for sure. The several record setting quarters in a row, in order to keep that up they will need to provide motivation to buyers. From what I understand Elon is personally vested in stock price because at certain point he gets 30% (or something like that of Tesla, making him the richest person on the planet), but for that to happen he has to keep stock where it is or keep increasing it. Car sales is the main way to do that.

The trigger point for me is when the EV credit is effectively reinstated via a price drop. I dunno, maybe Im the only one that is ok with waiting a few months or even a year before buying one. I have a perfectly working car now.

Huge waiting motivator for me is the new battery tech that is supposed to start going into the cars this summer. So all things considered (current car is fine, and free), new battery tech that is supposed to last twice as long (chemical structure not charge), and potential price drops, are all making it easy to wait.

I personally do not see any price increases because then Model 3 would be more expensive than the roomier and newer Model Y. And increasing price on both seems like stock suicide. If anything I can see Model 3 price going down once Model Y starts delivery. Model Y will sell itself by being new and shiny. Model 3 sales will keep up through motivations. Currently 3 and Y are priced surprisingly close together. Add cybertruck to all this, I see Model 3 needing a lot of boost to keep selling like hot cakes when people will have 3 choices for around the same price instead of the only choice.
Actually a price increase is what you do when you can’t keep a product in stock. Take EOY this last Q as a sign that the bottom has been reached. Incentives or adjustments were about as low as has been witnessed in a while.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Actually a price increase is what you do when you can’t keep a product in stock. Take EOY this last Q as a sign that the bottom has been reached. Incentives or adjustments were about as low as has been witnessed in a while.

There are 2 factories coming online (China/Germany), huge reason sales were record setting last Q is because of vanishing incentives. More competition is coming to market, with brand new companies, as well as the old timers starting to look at EV. Tesla raised M3 price by how much the rebate is late last year (to me this tell me this was done just so that they can drop the price and end up with net $0 change). Last Q of 2019 is an anomaly due to credits going away.

Time will tell I suppose. But thats the bet I am willing to make. I do not see Model 3's in December 2020 costing same or more than they cost today.

I mean, look at the history. M3P just a year ago was over $10k more than it is today. From my observation the entire time M3 was a product they couldnt keep in stock. I think you are applying misinformed economical analysis to this. For some reason you think that with increased production capacity, fewer incentives for buyers, more competition from competitors, new shiny Tesla cars (Cybertruck and Model Y), Model 3 will still sell as fast as it comes off the line. Maybe, but thats a huge assumption to make.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Could you please share your source regarding new battery tech going into cars this summer?

Information is old (2019), so dont know if its still on track, but I havent seen anything that says otherwise. https://electrek.co/2019/04/23/tesla-battery-million-miles-elon-musk/

In regards to summer timeframe, I think there was a more recent article that I read that in, Ill try and look for it. But there will be more news on it soon - Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime

• Disagree