Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone want to help modify a Radio Flyer Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But then I started using an 18V lithium drill battery for ease of charging. I added a second in series to 36V which was a lot of fun but honestly too dangerous. So now it is back to two in parallel at 18V..

I just did this with mine, it’s chewing through the 18V batteries though. 15min of runtime.

It’s got me thinking about trying my 40V greenworks battery. But it might be safer to rig the light speed battery from the existing Model S To work on the power wheels for extended runtime. Those batteries last so much longer

I too put a remote control feature in my toy Model S. I got tired of waiting for my granddaughter to get big enough to drive it her self. :)
I left everything stock in the car and just added two servos. One for the throttle and one for steering. I used a Raspberry PI3+ with a mini bluetooth controller. This thing works great and my granddaughter LOVES it!!
This is a fun video I did after the project.

Attachments

• RaspberryPI-BT-Controller.jpg
    RaspberryPI-BT-Controller.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 254
  • SteeringServo.JPG
    SteeringServo.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 198
  • TeslaWithRemote.JPG
    TeslaWithRemote.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 193
  • ThrottleServo.JPG
    ThrottleServo.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 197
  • RaspberryPI-BluetoothCtrlr.JPG
    RaspberryPI-BluetoothCtrlr.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 244
I too put a remote control feature in my toy Model S. I got tired of waiting for my granddaughter to get big enough to drive it her self. :)
I left everything stock in the car and just added two servos. One for the throttle and one for steering. I used a Raspberry PI3+ with a mini bluetooth controller. This thing works great and my granddaughter LOVES it!!
Nice work!! This is awesome. Great video also

This might be one of the coolest things I've seen on here in quite awhile. Nice!

I've seen other videos where persons have really souped up, power wheels. (adding more powerful motors).

Maybe somewhere down the line for this model S? :)

I just did this with mine, it’s chewing through the 18V batteries though. 15min of runtime.

It’s got me thinking about trying my 40V greenworks battery. But it might be safer to rig the light speed battery from the existing Model S To work on the power wheels for extended runtime. Those batteries last so much longer
This might be one of the coolest things I've seen on here in quite awhile. Nice!

I've seen other videos where persons have really souped up, power wheels. (adding more powerful motors).

Maybe somewhere down the line for this model S? :)
We have more Grandkids coming. :) We'll have to get her a shifter cart if she feels the "Need for Speed". :-O

Reactions: 2101Guy
My son loves his Model S. Unfortunately, it appears the charger has given up on him. I believe it has let out the magic smoke, and left some char marks in place.

I am unable to find a replacement charger in stock online. Does anybody have any leads or ideas?

My son loves his Model S. Unfortunately, it appears the charger has given up on him. I believe it has let out the magic smoke, and left some char marks in place.

I am unable to find a replacement charger in stock online. Does anybody have any leads or ideas?

Its $50 from Radio Flyer directly but it’s currently out of stock.

Pricey but:
Radio Flyer 910 Tesla Model S Parts - KidsWheels

Hey everyone. Thanks for some great tips during this thread's lifespan. I have had a radio flyer Tesla for about 2 years now and unfortunately it's dead. After troubleshooting with Radio Flyer, they suggest that I replace the car body (the wiring harness) for $250. I paid over $700 for this toy with our add-ons and am a little sad to hear that.

The car in 1 or 2 speed setting and in forward/reverse neither motor will rotate. Once I press the pedal the lights and horn work, but no signal to the motors (both of which I've replaced to their advice). I checked all the wire connections points by unplugging and plugging back in, but no luck.

I'm not going to shell out $250 for a new "body". Do you all have any ideas on what I could do to bypass their current setup with the motors with the mods you've posted about? I'm fairly capable, but not a wiring wizard--but willing to get down and dirty for this.

Thanks and looking forward to some responses!

The “go pedal” has what is really a drill motor switch in it with a small chip that talks to a chip in the battery. I’d think that is a weak point - did you remove the pedal and look at that? Will they sell you just that switch?

Near the beginning of the thread I posted some part numbers but never got detailed information on the signal those chips were looking for.

And, because the switch was made as a tool switch, it has a mechanical reverse lever. Maybe it got bumped? No idea if it matters, but maybe...

I did take the pedal off and moved the switch on it to 3 different positions per radio flyers advice, but no luck.

They suggested I do the entire body, but not going to be able to afford it. I’d rather tinker around with it now like the others in this thread.

I just need a little direction on how to begin modding it from scratch since it’s basically dead.

The switch in the pedal assembly and the battery talk to each other over a digital connection. You will have to bypass both those if you want to mod it - the motors are simple "dumb" parts. You can use those with another battery if you want. So, you will need a new battery (and a way to charge it) and a new throttle pedal or throttle switch that fits into the pedal assembly.